Your gaming backlog

Luseth

I have comitted to getting a new car this weekend and it's going to result in monthly payments so I decided to work out way's I can save money elsewhere in my life. One of my biggest expenditures is my gaming hobby as I often buy games new or buy games when I have loads still to play 😄

So this weekend I started noting down my gaming backlog with the intention that each time I complete a game then I will delve into that list first for my next game rather than buying a new one to help save a few quid. Turns out I have a big backlog, I only noted down physical games as if I include diigital it includes the subscription services and steam and get's rather big.

So my intention for the next 6 months is to focus on playing just games I already own, I think I have 2 additional games pre-ordered in the next 6 months but I am going to try and not buy another game between now and August 🙂

So how big is your backlog? Do you actually play games from it or do you frequently say you are going to and never get round to it?

Luseth.png

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

I have comitted to getting a new car this weekend and it's going to result in monthly payments so I decided to work out way's I can save money elsewhere in my life. One of my biggest expenditures is my gaming hobby as I often buy games new or buy games when I have loads still to play 😄

So this weekend I started noting down my gaming backlog with the intention that each time I complete a game then I will delve into that list first for my next game rather than buying a new one to help save a few quid. Turns out I have a big backlog, I only noted down physical games as if I include diigital it includes the subscription services and steam and get's rather big.

So my intention for the next 6 months is to focus on playing just games I already own, I think I have 2 additional games pre-ordered in the next 6 months but I am going to try and not buy another game between now and August 🙂

So how big is your backlog? Do you actually play games from it or do you frequently say you are going to and never get round to it?

That sounds great man, good idea! What games are you going to be going through?

I'm still super interested in playing my Playstation 2 games, so I'd say they're my backlog per-say. Although I've been thinking about trying to stream them as well.

I've got NFS Most Wanted and The Simpsons Hit and Run, both which I'd like to record playing. As well as others I want to play more casually.

I don't have a massive backlog. I don't buy many unless I know I will play. 

When I do buy a game I play it to death until it's done or that. 

I have plenty monthly freebies stored, but don't often get time to play them. 

Oh man...

My backlog is too damn full.  I'm a sucker for a sale, and I've bought quite a few games but almost instantly put them on the back burners with the "I'll play this one next" marked on it.  Of course, that never happens and a lot of the time, it was due to Destiny.  Seeing as I've stopped playing that, I'm slowly picking away at it, even though I'm forever cursed to buy more during sales.  Lol

That, or thanks to game pass, something new will pop up and instantly take my time.  It's tough being a gamer.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

oh man, don't remind me of my backlog, it must be 200-400 games and most of them freebies, definitely most of them won't be my cup of tea, but it's still a time-consuming process going through them all and giving them a chance

Although I have several games I haven't played yet, I probably wont ever get round to them - either being freebies or some historic impulse purchase in the sale that I just don't feel like playing. In recent years I've been a bit more disciplined with such purchases so I don't get lumbered with a quantity of games and just waste my money in the long run. Darkwood is probably the only game I have installed that I need to get round to playing. Also RE: Code Veronica on PS5. Recently I've just been revisiting some classics like Gears of War, Metroid Prime and currently Metal Gear Rising. I also have the original Red Dead Redemption to go through and Gran Turismo 4.

I found that installing lots of games and trying to schedule them actually stressed me a little and I didn't enjoy them as much but now I'm only playing what I want to play and it's usually only one title I'm focused on. 

The SteamDeck has helped tremendously when looking at backlog games, Prey for example, is finally getting a play through.

Aside from that I've mostly been finishing Division 2 dlc in terms of older games.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

22 hours ago, James5497 said:

That sounds great man, good idea! What games are you going to be going through?

Just going through more modern games in the backlog to name a few -

Dying Light 2

Rage 2

Scarlet Nexus

Kingdom hearts 3

Devil May Cry 5

Diablo 2 (remaster) & 3

Triangle Strategy

Harvestella

But yeah there are quite a few more, I found an app yesterday that will allow me to keep track of them easier and log when they are done called gametrack (iphone)

Luseth.png

Scarlet Nexus was pretty good.  I had fun with that when it first released.  DMC 5 is more of the same from that series.  You'll dig it if you liked the previous entries.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

17 minutes ago, James5497 said:

What the Frick! 👀

Well Tesco's are stopping selling games etc. What we had was half priced last week. Then reduced again. 

There was 2 copies of God Of War through the back still. 

They were selling them for £30 last week. 

Loads of Fifas and Horizon going cheap as well that got cleared. 

Our range has slowly got smaller over the last year or 2.

I heard someone got a switch for £90 in another local store. 

So if there are any games floating about Tesco's left they will be cheap. 

Maybe ask at the customer service desk if there is anything going. 

We haven't sold actual consoles for a year or more. 

But hunt a few stores on the passing. 

Worth a shout, but I imagine most and everything is already gone. 

Mostly PS4, PS5 and Xbox games that was about. 

Not even sure I want to open Pandora's Box on this one, my backlog is pretty much everything I own which just not possible this year or years maybe. Whats stopping me go full hog into this just yet is my gaming setup. Its good, and i'm lucky to have what I have, but I need to overhaul it so its far easier to connect old consoles up to get more games on the go within seconds. I'm hoping this will be done nearer the holiday season this year fingers crossed.

However, I pushed hard this at the start of this year to try more single player games. It won't be what I gravitate to because I want FG to flourish and grow for everyone's beenfit so Multiplayer will always win over most nights. BUT I did complete my first CoD campaign in years and now Hogwarts Legacy is getting minutes here and there every few days. I'd love to get a few PC games on the go, Valheim far more but maybe some more server games too. I need to make time for Tarkov and would love to get a large group here playing Sea of Thieves considering most of us have never touched the surface with all the longer quests in the game.

A few I'd like to give a go at some point this year off the top of my head:

• Escape From Tarkov (PC)
  • Sea of Thieves (PC/Xbox)
  • God of War (PS4)
  • Minecraft FG Realm (PS4/PC/Switch)
  • GT7 Platinum Trophy (PS5)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge (PS4)
  • Metal Slug 1st Mission (Neo Geo Pocket)
  • A full run through/review time for all the old football games (PS1 & PS2 mainly)
  • Abe's Oddysee (PS1)
  • Stellaris (PC)

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Tesco stopped at our nearest one recently @IRaMPaGe and it was one of the few reasons we've had the Tesco Credit Card over the years to get vouchers to spend on them. Shame they're stopping really. If you have more stock at your place left, give me a shout as I may be able to do something with some of them!

23 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

@GazzaGarratt we still need to get a night together to play that Football Manager board game too! I'm sure @Stretch616 , @Findmartin and @G_dub52 might be interested as well as some of the other Coventry boys!

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Tesco stopped at our nearest one recently @IRaMPaGe and it was one of the few reasons we've had the Tesco Credit Card over the years to get vouchers to spend on them. Shame they're stopping really. If you have more stock at your place left, give me a shout as I may be able to do something with some of them!

Yeah unfortunately there wasn't too much range and choice and what we had was mostly bulk of the same. 

People have just been clearing what we had and very quickly. 

I haven't seen any games or anything since last week. 

I was just incredibly lucky working there and asking someone who has access and knowledge of the secure bond, were  theuused to be stored. 

I can't imagine anything else will comeback in as they have been slowly phasing the gaming section for quite some time now. 

I did ask the lad today when I was in if there was any other games through the back, but sadly he hadn't seen anything. 

Most of the stock we had was probably bought by greedy folk, buying multiples and relisting them on ebay or taking them to CeX and selling for purely profit. 

They probably whipped round all the Tesco's around and rinsed the stock. 

I would like to think some young kids got something decent. Maybe their parents don't have much money. 

I like to think about these things positively, in this sometimes grim world where everyone is looking to cash in on any opportunity. 

On 2/23/2023 at 10:43 PM, IRaMPaGe said:

Most of the stock we had was probably bought by greedy folk, buying multiples and relisting them on ebay or taking them to CeX and selling for purely profit. 

They probably whipped round all the Tesco's around and rinsed the stock. 

I would like to think some young kids got something decent. Maybe their parents don't have much money. 

I like to think about these things positively, in this sometimes grim world where everyone is looking to cash in on any opportunity. 

I agree, I went looking today to see if I could grab my brother @Loz Mars a copy of FIFA 23 on PS4 which they had marked down at £13.45 but unfortunately they didn't have any left.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:33 PM, Neatstorm said:

@GazzaGarratt we still need to get a night together to play that Football Manager board game too! I'm sure @Stretch616 , @Findmartin and @G_dub52 might be interested as well as some of the other Coventry boys!

Yes I'd be up for that 

On 2/20/2023 at 11:17 AM, Luseth said:

Nice one Matt good luck with the savings plan. Did you get the new car?

I'm similar to others I have a few games, mostly the monthly free ones from PS plus that I'd like to have a go at. But the few evenings a week that I go online there's always someone playing cod or fifa or rocket league so I just join them and don't play single player games. 

Too big. I think I have a problem. I have plenty of top quality games to play, I just choose not to play them. Dishonored series, Bioshock series, Borderlands series, every Star Wars game, most Assassins Creed games, Metro series, older Stalker games, Fallout games, and many more like it. The only series I've really sat down and played through is Splinter Cell as I love them games, although I didn't finish Blacklist.

I have over 1,600 on Steam after redeeming my keys from this Humble Turkey bundle. About 300 on GoG, and this doesn't even include the games On a Uplay, EA or even Epic. Then I have around 60-70 disc games on PS3 with many many more digital games, 50ish on Xbox360 and around same on Nintendo Switch.

Everytime I tend to gravitate towards games that don't have a story, currently can't put down Elite Dangerous and also running No Man's Sky on Nintendo Switch. So these games either be very large in scale or you make your own story. Most of the time these games are time consuming. 

I go through periods where ill reinstall older games with the intention to complete them. I started one of the first MoH PC releases but haven't touched it in weeks now. Just pretty much uninstalled everything again this morning.

If only I could be bothered to dedicate at least 1 hour each day to a different game, and only install one story based game at a time along side my main games, I might actually finish them. I just find the pull towards my main games too much. 

Hard agree @Spacedeck. I think its a really hard discipline to play games in a structured way, because games by design are that fun, escapism that we all love and probably the most spontaneous thing we do. Having said that, I have tried to be disciplined to play different games, and put up events so we have stuff to look forward to on multiple games, otherwise I notice that I end up not playing with many FGers and maybe not talking as much to them if we don't end up on the same game every day or week.

I'm going to try and use the event calendar to help me play some multiplayer games and if no one turns up thats fine, i'll either still play it or push myself to play my single player backlog instead.

I was also thinking maybe we can help each other on the backlog scene where we have a game we focus on each month perhaps where we all play it and share tips, stories, high scores and how we feel the game plays? That way it also feels like single player games aren't just on your own and gives you another reason to play so we can help others around here play their own backlog too. I'd be more inclined to play some of my games knowing I could help others....or get some much needed help from yourselves too!

I forgot to add on my list the updated remasters of Resident Evil games....I need to see the updated scenes and story as 2 and 3 back in the day were some of my favourite memories as a kid.

13 hours ago, Findmartin said:

Nice one Matt good luck with the savings plan. Did you get the new car?

I'm similar to others I have a few games, mostly the monthly free ones from PS plus that I'd like to have a go at. But the few evenings a week that I go online there's always someone playing cod or fifa or rocket league so I just join them and don't play single player games. 

I did yes, a volvo s60, not the most exciting to drive but it ticks a lot of boxes in comfort, economy and all the gadgets i could ever want.

13 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Hard agree @Spacedeck. I think its a really hard discipline to play games in a structured way, because games by design are that fun, escapism that we all love and probably the most spontaneous thing we do. Having said that, I have tried to be disciplined to play different games, and put up events so we have stuff to look forward to on multiple games, otherwise I notice that I end up not playing with many FGers and maybe not talking as much to them if we don't end up on the same game every day or week.

I'm going to try and use the event calendar to help me play some multiplayer games and if no one turns up thats fine, i'll either still play it or push myself to play my single player backlog instead.

I was also thinking maybe we can help each other on the backlog scene where we have a game we focus on each month perhaps where we all play it and share tips, stories, high scores and how we feel the game plays? That way it also feels like single player games aren't just on your own and gives you another reason to play so we can help others around here play their own backlog too. I'd be more inclined to play some of my games knowing I could help others....or get some much needed help from yourselves too!

I forgot to add on my list the updated remasters of Resident Evil games....I need to see the updated scenes and story as 2 and 3 back in the day were some of my favourite memories as a kid.

I have added a bit of structure because otherwise I just won't play half of them, I have decided I will pick like 3 games and see which I am feeling when I complete Hogwarts so that I am not tied to just 1 game. So they will all be different genres and it will be whatever style of game I fancy when I get to them. I like the idea of us all picking a game, essentially a bit like a book club ^_^ Maybe put up a poll for several games and see what the majority have available to them and pick one of those.

Luseth.png

I've started my quest in playing my backlog of games.  Since Saturday I've finished FireGirl and Syberia.  Currently playing The Inner World.

I'm not going to play games that are long, so no RPG's for the time being, nothing grindy like Stardew Valley that requires farming.  Each game must have a story to follow and preferably not extremely long.

I'm going to use HowLongToBeat website to keep track.

https://howlongtobeat.com/user/DaddaZilla

Could be a good way to see what each of us are playing at a time if we add each other as friends.

@SpacedeckI am going to take a look at that site when I finish work today. I have been looking at an app on my phone but if that site works just as good I am happy enough to use that.

Once I am set up I will get you added, I think @GazzaGarrattwas contemplating it as well ^_^

Luseth.png

Yeah...I mentioned when playing last night about it as it has some ideas, i've been trying to get on here for quite a while....added to the backlog of interesting fun stuff to have on FG if we can get it on here!!