London Tower Block Fire

2 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

No fire alarm went off apparently...

In the article they interviewed a resident from the 7th floor and he said he was woken up by people outside yelling, not by an alarm.

Someone is (rightfully) going to get nailed to the wall for this. It, apparently, had passed all the fire and safety inspections, but someone missed something or a palm was greased a bit. 

In the article they interviewed a resident from the 7th floor and he said he was woken up by people outside yelling, not by an alarm.

Someone is (rightfully) going to get nailed to the wall for this. It, apparently, had passed all the fire and safety inspections, but someone missed something or a palm was greased a bit. 

A residents action group have been complaining about fire security for a while. Ignored as usual.
You're damn right, wherever the buck stops is going to be an unpleasant place.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The residents were apparently told to stay inside in the event of a fire and to place a wet towel in front of the door. That would be fine for buildings that meet regulations but by the looks of it; the cladding itself looks to be the accelerant here judging by the way it spread so aggresively and rapidly from the outside alone.  I will be stunned and alarmed if that building met the saftey standards in terms of just the overall structure let alone the key procedures like alarms and escapes. So many of these old tower blocks are getting refubed these days so it's going to be critical that this is dealt with ASAP.

The way our government - central and local - have behaved in the last couple of days defies belief. Well, not to me to be honest. Nothing new here.
Too many working class, poor and brown faces for them to give a shit I suppose.

These now homeless people are still sleeping on mats.
In one of the richest cities in the world.
With hundreds of thousands of empty properties.

This world and its priorities laid bare once again.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The reason they added the cladding was because rich locals said they didn't like the look of the build, basically it was too ugly for their pretty little neighbourhood. Who ever's idea it was to cover it in that shit should be shot, fucking idiotic idea. They spent millions on revamping it but didn't put any safety measures.

Apparently people were being told to go to the roof and they'd be reacued by helicopter but no one came to save them. Makes me feel sick even reading about it, this shouldn't be happening.

Shout out to Corbyn who said they should open the rich empty homes up in the area and give people a home to live in. And a fuck you to the dude who argued against that and said they can just go in student accommodation and said corbyn was just being left wing.......

.....I've just looked for this dudes name but can't find this anywhere, looks like the tories took that down quickly.

Someone needs to be strung up for this.

Was it a local council flat? I'm assuming it was as their decisions are going to be so under fire right now.

I expect this to kick councils across the country into first gear to check the welfare of all council accommodation.

On a side note I heard a guy living in it said it cost £60k to fix a lift, but clearly haven't touched the pair of lifts in 10 years. Shocking.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb