Posts and Site Structure

I'm still amazed by the awesome effort you've all put in lately, it feels like the place has some brilliant energy kicking around the place and I know that lots want to help out. I've always stated and will always remain on the side of this place is all of ours as We Are FG.

I don't want to waste the great effort by everybody and there are quite a few things i'm continually working on and trying to improve and tweak wherever I can in the time I have. That's why its vital we all share your view here because I could come across something you may have thought about might not be possible.

I wanted to focus and get your thoughts on the Forum topics, posts and structure.

We haven't changed it for a while and I think that's overall a good thing, however I want to touch base with you all to ask you the following:

• Do you like the current sections?
  • Is there sections you would love to have? Games or non-games?
  • What types of posts do you want to see?
  • Should we have a site FAQ section?
  • Anything else related to posts and starting threads?

Two things I'll start with that I would love to get your thoughts and energy into:

1. Consider pulling Destiny out of Shooters and creating a forum section on it's own, sitting above Shooters, then have specific sub-forums underneath for all things Destiny. Main reason was to help generate the interest around the game and help new people come and find stuff easier than in one large section.
  2. Generating more stuff for the Motors section - I only created this as I know a shed load of you are into cars and bikes so it would be good to see a little more content
  3. Consider a racing sub-forum under Sports

Lets hear what you think people and don't be scared to bring up anything. I can't promise it'll be done but whatever we can do you know I'll my best to do it.

Thanks FG

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Dave and I played a lot with sub-forums and shit. One thing I learned in that time frame was the minute you break it out into its own, seperate from its genre, it will die.

Its like getting a chic's name tattoo'd on you, a month later you are sobbing in your beer, because you busted her blowing some dude fresh out of prison with coke lines scattered around the coffee table........ Maybe thats just me though

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Thanks for the replies so far. Makes sense with what's been said.

10 minutes ago, McNasty said:

Totally agree.  I think we should minimize sections/subforums as much as possible.  Like seriously we could cut the sections in half here.  We have way too many

Which ones would you cut? I'm happy to minimise some if people want that, my only thought was if we actually wanted to get more new blood along the way then we need something to catch their eye in line with their interests. I didn't know whether having the games we have up helps or doesn't?

Full disclosure this could actually be a terrible idea, it's just what came to mind.

remove all the sub forums.  All the shooter sub forums for example, just roll them up under shooters only.  Reason I say that, is that for games like rainbow 6 or titanfall which I've never played and probably will never play, I'll never venture to those subforums.  If it was all rolled up under shooters, I'd probably check out any posts related to it because I view all the posts for the sections of the forum I visit. 

Also putting PPRs under general discussion Might not be a bad idea.  I never check them out because I don't go to that section of the forum, for whatever reason.  I always forget they are there in all honesty which is why I never post in pprs.  

Thanks Brede, Bart and McNasty for your thoughts so far. Crispy, get better 😘

I'll try and respond in abit when I get some time after kids are in bed. Initial thoughts are I suppose in the most part it isn't too far out. Things we could cut. Things we'll keep the same.

Its handy to know thia stuff so keep the feedback coming. Equally, if you look at other significantly active forums what do they have that we don't?

Keep it coming and I'll report back later.

23 hours ago, Sennex said:

Dave and I played a lot with sub-forums and shit. One thing I learned in that time frame was the minute you break it out into its own, seperate from its genre, it will die.

Its like getting a chic's name tattoo'd on you, a month later you are sobbing in your beer, because you busted her blowing some dude fresh out of prison with coke lines scattered around the coffee table........ Maybe thats just me though

That's good to know. I was hoping to find a way of getting behind Destiny 2 and may help new people understand some basic things. Do you recommend any changes to the layout of Destiny? I'll be starting a separate thread about it in that section to get more detail but anything now would be great.

On 2017-5-23 at 8:37 PM, NCA-Paendrag said:

I'm quite happy with the structure we have today.

Can't say I'm missing anything.

I only use the mobile version though.

Thanks Brede, I wouldn't say there's anything wrong right but don't want to rest on our laurels.

21 hours ago, McNasty said:

Full disclosure this could actually be a terrible idea, it's just what came to mind.

remove all the sub forums.  All the shooter sub forums for example, just roll them up under shooters only.  Reason I say that, is that for games like rainbow 6 or titanfall which I've never played and probably will never play, I'll never venture to those subforums.  If it was all rolled up under shooters, I'd probably check out any posts related to it because I view all the posts for the sections of the forum I visit. 

Also putting PPRs under general discussion Might not be a bad idea.  I never check them out because I don't go to that section of the forum, for whatever reason.  I always forget they are there in all honesty which is why I never post in pprs.  

That is radical. I partly like it. I'm happy to get rid of some of them. I think what you're highlighting is that some people look at forums in different ways. 90% of my time I look at unread and then Latest Activity, whereas it sounds like you look through the structure. I'd like to keep the core games we play on here as sub-forums because I conversely struggle when I want to find news or info on a specific game I can't find it/takes me ages when it sits in the general sub-forum.

The PPR is a could be a thought - Actually that is one of our most popular areas that it could sit on its own and moved upwards. I might be overthinking it.

I think less may be better in some cases. I think certain games need their own sub though. Like Destiny,CoD and whatever is popular on the forum. I don't want to have to sort through post just to find ones in something I'm interested in. I would also leave the PPR separate. I'm all for cleaning it up some though.

Ah fuck it.

I'm going to change some of the forum structure around and try something. If it don't work its not hard to change it back or keep tweaking it. We need more at the top level so people can see the threads when they come to the site as its mainly the regulars that will look deep into the structure.

We'll have a main FG games section so call out what you want to have. Its clear we need Destiny and the key ones at the top. I want to see how it goes so I would appreciate any feedback. A number of subforums will fallback into their respective containers e.g. Diablo back into RPG.

We also have a pretty big update that will show off threads as the main feature more, and i'm also looking into a few more themes, including the Merchandise section and a section for you guys to resurrect something similar to the blog but more like articles.

Let's try something. If it don't work, shout the fuck up. If something works and you want more of it, shout the fuck up.

Fanks

5 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Ah fuck it.

I'm going to change some of the forum structure around and try something. If it don't work its not hard to change it back or keep tweaking it. We need more at the top level so people can see the threads when they come to the site as its mainly the regulars that will look deep into the structure.

We'll have a main FG games section so call out what you want to have. Its clear we need Destiny and the key ones at the top. I want to see how it goes so I would appreciate any feedback. A number of subforums will fallback into their respective containers e.g. Diablo back into RPG.

We also have a pretty big update that will show off threads as the main feature more, and i'm also looking into a few more themes, including the Merchandise section and a section for you guys to resurrect something similar to the blog but more like articles.

Let's try something. If it don't work, shout the fuck up. If something works and you want more of it, shout the fuck up.

Fanks

I like it, I believe we have too many categories. My suggestion to Lee was this layout. First line are section names. First indent is section, second indent is sub category. 

Site Specific

Announcements & Site Information

Introductions

Forever Gaming

Destiny

Overwatch

Rainbow 6 Siege

Gaming & Games

General Gaming Discussion

Shooters

Role Playing Games

Strategy

Fighters

Retro

General Forums

Personal Progress Reports

Tech Center

Xbox

PlayStation

Nintendo

PC

General Discussion

Speakers Corner

NSFW

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I want PPRs separate - It can be shown but greyed out to everybody that you can't see this section unless you're logged in as a member.

Also, looking at the games I can see we'll at least keep:

Destiny

Minecraft

CoD

Rainbow

Overwatch

GTA

I can't see anything else standing out right now tbh, but this is up to you guys if there is. @phil bottle @tronic44 you'll have to shout up if you want 7 days still there :21_kissing_closed_eyes:

2 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

PUBG is going to be popularrrrr.  Worthy of its own?

I thought about it but it may be a tad early as i'm not sure how much you can write home about? It is already on my 'if enough want it, lets do it'

Just now, phil bottle said:

Maybe an umbrella section for Arma, DayZ, 7 Days to Die, even PUGB along like lines of 'Survival' but i'm not all that fussed if it doesn't make sense emoji5.png

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ok. So Survival game section sounds good. Might be easier than having those separate to start with and then see what interest there is.

Love the idea from you Lee and the structure from Rob seems pretty good. I agree that putting PUBG, Arma, DayZ and 7 days in its own category is a great idea. Hopefully this will bring some more participation to the Rainbow 6 sub category! 

9 minutes ago, Sweetandsour16 said:

Hopefully this will bring some more participation to the Rainbow 6 sub category! 

Thanks Nick, we'll definitely just see how it goes. As for Rainbow, just gotta give the others in Discord a nudge and if they have something to share post it up. I'm sure there's quite a lot to share still and there is a decent amount of UK lot on here that haven't grouped up with you or the other NA guys.

11 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I want PPRs separate - It can be shown but greyed out to everybody that you can't see this section unless you're logged in as a member.

Also, looking at the games I can see we'll at least keep:

Destiny

Minecraft

CoD

Rainbow

Overwatch

GTA

I can't see anything else standing out right now tbh, but this is up to you guys if there is. @phil bottle @tronic44 you'll have to shout up if you want 7 days still there :21_kissing_closed_eyes:

I think we should scrap all games and only have 7 Days. We'll call ourselves FGO7DTDY (Forever Gaming On 7 Days To Die Yo) The Yo is optional but i think it will show we're still down with the kids.....not in the Jimmy way though.

^That or what @phil bottle said. 

GGFGPC

The NA guys are really patient with Console scrubs moving up to PC.  PUBG is a real deer in the headlights game, I just panic and run around crying.  I can't wait to play more of this game.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

1 hour ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

What will happen to the stuff that don't make the cut? 

Make an archive?

I would usually pop it back into the section its under. If there is no desire for Warframe (there wasn't last time I asked), then we probably need to archive that one. Let me think about it.

3 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

The NA guys are really patient with Console scrubs moving up to PC.  PUBG is a real deer in the headlights game, I just panic and run around crying.  I can't wait to play more of this game.

It's all gaming dude. No PC / Console hate here. 

• I don't think PUBG should have it's own section. Outside of a map and one resource website there's really nothing content wise that's worthy of a forum for it. 
  • Let's avoid making to many subs, it'll just mean we have dead empty rooms when we could be posting them in the genre they belong. If you want it to grab your attention you could flair your posts with the game before the title. [PUBG] Best places to spawn, [Warframe] New updated xxx

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

12 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

It's all gaming dude. No PC / Console hate here. 

• I don't think PUBG should have it's own section. Outside of a map and one resource website there's really nothing content wise that's worthy of a forum for it. 
  • Let's avoid making to many subs, it'll just mean we have dead empty rooms when we could be posting them in the genre they belong. If you want it to grab your attention you could flair your posts with the game before the title. [PUBG] Best places to spawn, [Warframe] New updated xxx

We can also have topics 'Feature' like they do now in the image slider.

Especially, going forward the feature presence makes a massive difference. You only have to ask to get it featured.

6 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I would usually pop it back into the section its under. If there is no desire for Warframe (there wasn't last time I asked), then we probably need to archive that one. Let me think about it.

I think I was the only one commenting on Warframe. And I guess we're only two people here playing it. But would be a bit sad if the threads got lost. 

But a Generl sub forum where we can use [Warframe] in the thread header should suffice, and archive the old stuff to read only.