30th Bungie Anniversary DLC - D2 Opinions and Impressions

GazzaGarratt

On 12/30/2021 at 3:50 PM, techno said:

Is it one of the best 6 player activities? Really? Trust me when you've run enough it gets as dull as fuck. The crota end boss is also terrible, the pointless obsticle course I just skip, except the first one as that's just easy. Once I get ranked up for me I will be done. Menagerie was and still is the best 6 palter activity they have come up with. Even the loot for dares sucks.

I would be willing to give legend a go but I expect that's just cranked up super hard and frustrating for casual players.

Lol here's a kicker you reach rank 16 pick up the forunner catalyst and you have to play more dares and hope you hit 225000 score. Oh and it's ok the character you pick it up on.

Better than Menagerie? No, clearly not. But that doesn't mean it's not good. Menagerie is the one which will always be haerd to beat because it was like a Raid 'lite' with infinite respawns, ability to not technically fail, harder mode to challenge yourself, bespoke loot table to obtain stuff, etc. However, even after a while people wouldn't roll that as they got all the loot, so then it comes down to how fun the activity is regardless of rewards. This is just simplistic shoot all the baddies, with elements of mechanics but with funny power ups and narrative over it. It so nice to be able to play something in a 6 stack of FGers that isn't PvP and isn't a raid. Everyone tends to have fun in it and can be used for Catalysts after you do the grinding (although someone will always need something from it).

@Spacedeck , i think it'll be here between 9-12 months minimum personally as its kind of linked to the 30th DLC, even though its free content. I don't see why they would remove it February, but you could argue after 6 months if you wanted to. I just want more variety for more than 3 player fireteams in the game so people feel like they can group up more.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

19 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Better than Menagerie? No, clearly not. But that doesn't mean it's not good. Menagerie is the one which will always be haerd to beat because it was like a Raid 'lite' with infinite respawns, ability to not technically fail, harder mode to challenge yourself, bespoke loot table to obtain stuff, etc. However, even after a while people wouldn't roll that as they got all the loot, so then it comes down to how fun the activity is regardless of rewards. This is just simplistic shoot all the baddies, with elements of mechanics but with funny power ups and narrative over it. It so nice to be able to play something in a 6 stack of FGers that isn't PvP and isn't a raid. Everyone tends to have fun in it and can be used for Catalysts after you do the grinding (although someone will always need something from it).

My issue with it was the crazy grind to get to rank 16, Bungie are fixated on this stupid 'streak' system for vendor xp. So having ground out about 60 completions I've had my fill - I know I didnt have to do that, but given the rank will likely reset in 6 weeks time, the only way to hit 16 is to grind like hell. Cant even argue its just cosmetics - the catalyst to foerunner is tied to rank 16 as well. 

As a game mode i actually quite enjoyed it, and it has a few decent weapons tied to it for roll-chasing. So i think its a good addition, just the streak system is a very bad idea - the beauty of Destiny is its variety, you would think Bungie themselves understand that. They need to look at stats for the players who've played the game mode exclusively to get to 16, then either burnt out and dropped off, or never touched the game mode again ! 

2 hours ago, Baabcat said:

My issue with it was the crazy grind to get to rank 16, Bungie are fixated on this stupid 'streak' system for vendor xp. So having ground out about 60 completions I've had my fill - I know I didnt have to do that, but given the rank will likely reset in 6 weeks time, the only way to hit 16 is to grind like hell. Cant even argue its just cosmetics - the catalyst to foerunner is tied to rank 16 as well. 

As a game mode i actually quite enjoyed it, and it has a few decent weapons tied to it for roll-chasing. So i think its a good addition, just the streak system is a very bad idea - the beauty of Destiny is its variety, you would think Bungie themselves understand that. They need to look at stats for the players who've played the game mode exclusively to get to 16, then either burnt out and dropped off, or never touched the game mode again ! 

This was exactly the point I was getting at, it's not a bad mode but when youve done over a hundred runs it is dull and repetitive. Unless I see a use for getting catalyst kills I'm done with that mode. As Bob says I'd have cut back way before if I hadn't fixated on the rank 16 requirements.

I just lost interest in general. I played the hell out of Destiny over the last month or so, smashing out every quest I could followed by some ridiculous catalysts (Cryosthesia gets a special mention, what a tedious grindfest) and then started looking at the game as a whole. I don't care for the baking bollocks so just ignored that, crucible has been ruined with the latest changes and the new dares thing is just the same 5 minutes over and over.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the grind and as a former WoW addict never shy away from them but Bungie's just taking the piss now, I'm starting to wonder how much of Destiny is a game, and how much is meant as a social experiment to see how repetitive they can make their game before people sack them off.

I'll still hop on for raids and whatnot, but I'm just burned out with the rest of it. 

banlol.png

44 minutes ago, Diddums said:

I just lost interest in general. I played the hell out of Destiny over the last month or so, smashing out every quest I could followed by some ridiculous catalysts (Cryosthesia gets a special mention, what a tedious grindfest) and then started looking at the game as a whole. I don't care for the baking bollocks so just ignored that, crucible has been ruined with the latest changes and the new dares thing is just the same 5 minutes over and over.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the grind and as a former WoW addict never shy away from them but Bungie's just taking the piss now, I'm starting to wonder how much of Destiny is a game, and how much is meant as a social experiment to see how repetitive they can make their game before people sack them off.

I'll still hop on for raids and whatnot, but I'm just burned out with the rest of it. 

I think when there sounds like a lot of content the problem with these live games, not just Destiny, is that they always 'carry on' so in some ways you sub-consciously think you have to keep playing. Where in actual fact they've been pretty clear now to remind players that other games do exist. They know their generic playerbase is far better served when they play a few nights a week which stops the burnout, like you've felt once again as all you've played over November and December is this.

I'm rank 7 I think on Dares and haven't done many at all. I have to remind myself sometimes as i see everyone else grinding it like it goes tomorrow, that this content isn't going anywhere and i'm much better served in doing it when I want to or the pull is there to enjoy a few runs with a 6 stack of FGers. I haven't really played any PvP in the last month either so i'll feel okay when I go back to it knowing i haven't burnt out on one of the major core playlists. Raids will always be fun and never boring. Especially if we also keep rotating trying out raids each week, which has been happening here too.

I'd urge people not to do any prep work over and above just getting close to the current power cap this season ahead of Witch Queen. Its clear the most fun from all DLCs come from just experiencing everything when it drops rather than blasting through it all in 24 hours.

I want to get into a habit of doing more Dungeons too, I think many of us here miss out on all the RAD content which is mainly the best content it has to offer.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb