Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition

J4MES OX4D

Anyone familiar with this game? It's about two decades old and is currently free but will soon release a premium version on Steam on December 6th. This iteration looks majorly overhauled and has been in standalone development many years. Game is notoriously complex but with incredibly deep systems apparently. The majority who play it say it's a cult classic but it's one of a few games that have passed me by over the years but I'm tempted to give it a shot this time

Just now, J4MES OX4D said:

Anyone familiar with this game? It's about two decades old and is currently free but will soon release a premium version on Steam on December 6th. This iteration looks majorly overhauled and has been in standalone development many years. Game is notoriously complex but with incredibly deep systems apparently. The majority who play it say it's a cult classic but it's one of a few games that have passed me by over the years but I'm tempted to give it a shot this time

Someone I work with mentioned this to me last week, as they were excited about an impending update version.

I'd never heard of it and had to google it...but apparently its a very highly rated old game. I'm also tempted!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

26 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Fair play to them, I've been checking tutorials, which means I'll probably be on it after my current Rimworld phase. Apparently Rimworld actually borrowed a lot of ideas from this game.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 12/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, phil bottle said:

I see @Bluebear might have something to say on the topic judging by what i saw him playing last night 🤗

Had my spare pickaxes stolen by monkeys and then all my dwarves got depressed from having to drink water because I forgot to set up a brewing still.

Compared to the OG version it's a lot more user friendly out of the box (and visually appealing, although that could be solved with tilesets for the original). While we have seem to have lost some fuctionality on minor parts (possibly overlooked), and some keyboard shortcuts no longer work fully as mouse selection is required, it's still the same old Dorf Fortress I've loved the past decade or so, just so very much prettier.

Honestly I was just happy to fling 25 quid to the Adams brothers.

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

On 12/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, phil bottle said:

Fair play to them, I've been checking tutorials, which means I'll probably be on it after my current Rimworld phase. Apparently Rimworld actually borrowed a lot of ideas from this game.

Yeah, one of the main differences to get your head round between DF and RW is the verticality. For example, doing stuff like routing water into your fortress (usefull access to fresh water for hospitals, irrigation, etc without having to go outside), suddenly becomes a lot more complex when you have to consider traversing up and down. Not to mention the unexpected challenges/benefits that may bring... (Dwarves enjoy watching waterfalls. They do not enjoy a torrent of pressurised water instantly flooding their fortress and drowning them all)

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

On 12/17/2022 at 1:37 AM, Bluebear said:

Had my spare pickaxes stolen by monkeys and then all my dwarves got depressed from having to drink water because I forgot to set up a brewing still.

I this line alone means I could add this one to the potential list. Who can't love rogue Monkeys and Dwarves that wanna drink anything other than Water.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb