Old school wrestling games

Antpool84

This popped up on my fb feed today and brought back memories of playing so many different wrestling games back in the ps1 days. I loved the original Smackdown games and played them so often with my mates, but WCW Mayhem was another one of my favourites since I watched both WWF/E and WCW back then. I'm sure there was a backyard wrestling game too which was pretty good fun. What was everyones favourite from those old old school games?

Screenshot_20220825-102902_Bleacher Report.jpg

Out of that selection I had the Smackdowns,  WWF Warzone and Attitude.  I also had WCW Nitro and the WWF In Your House. Had Celebrity Deathmatch as well. 

I think Warzone and Attitude were the best of it's time imo. 

I remember owning WWF Royal Rumble on the Megadrive.  My friend also had Wrestlemania on the SNES.  It was pretty good as you could pick Doink the clown.  🤡

(Moved to the retro section as it felt a better fit)

Tbh, the first one I loved was Wrestlemania on the Mega Drive. I absolutely loved it for the Ultimate Warrior. One of my school mates was amazing at Smackdown so I used to watch some gameplay of his but I was never really any good at the later games unfortunately. I did enjoy how fleshed out Smackdown was though. Lots of things to do on it.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I remember when Attitude released.  A bunch of my friends and I created our own promotion and our one friend was basically the Vince McMahon of the whole thing, minus the creepy rape allegations.  The controls and were so terrible and executing mvoes were such a pain in the ass.  I loved it when smackdown finally released.  Yukes are the fucking kings when it comes to making a good wrestling game.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

3 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I remember when Attitude released.  A bunch of my friends and I created our own promotion and our one friend was basically the Vince McMahon of the whole thing, minus the creepy rape allegations.  The controls and were so terrible and executing mvoes were such a pain in the ass.  I loved it when smackdown finally released.  Yukes are the fucking kings when it comes to making a good wrestling game.  

I had Attitude on Dreamcast and the only good thing about it was the huge visual step up at the time. Other than that, the controls were clunky as hell and the atmosphere was really dead. Smackdown really brought everything to the table but the forward roll to get back to feet made it lose some realism factor although it kept the fights flowing. 

I also remember the first time I played the original NES Wrestlemania game...  and how utterly disappointed I was at such a young age with it.  Only 6 wrestlers to choose from, gameplay was crap, It took forever to actually pin your opponent.  Typical LJN "quality" at the time, that they carried on with Wrestlemania Challenge which swapped the perspective, but still had horrible gameplay.  

I think with the earlier NES/SNES/Genesis wrestling games, the only one I played a ton was Royal Rumble.  There was nothing special about it.  The gameplay was fairly unremarkable but man, my Brothers and I would be rocking that one damn near every time we we're together in the TV room.  I know Super Wrestlemania and Raw all had the same graphic/gameplay style as well, but there was just something about RR that just made it stand out.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I dug out and quickly watched abit Wrestlemania again because of the updates on this thread.

The music was so catchy too, I still think I'd play this every now and again for the feels.

I also played WWF Warzone to death. That was huge back on the PS1 days and set up the Smackdown era nicely.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb