PS4 Audio\Party Chat Recording

Hey what's up all, before i start people, don't have to do this if they don't want their voices being recorded but we could be making some seriously funny videos!

How To Record Party Chat and Audio:

Navigate to settings > Sharing and Broadcasts > Audio Sharing Settings

You then have three different options

- Include Micropgone Audio in Video Clips

- Include Micropgone Audio in Broadcasts

- Share Party Audio

The share party audio will override the first two options but i just have them all ticked on.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/shareaudio.html

The next setting to change is one i didn't even realise existed.

- Create a Party 

- Party Settings

- Allow Your Voice to Be Shared (This obviously needs to be enabled)

That should be it, then when we record we'll have all our lovely voices along with it.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/party/p_screens.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think mine is done but will check when I get home.  I can record party chat with my capture card too but I have been trying to figure out if it is possible to chat party chat on a different channel.  As it's good to have but sometimes equally good not to.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

You're all heros.

Yeah i know what you mean Greboth, i think i'd prefer mine to always be on because we missed some seriously funny moments in the last few weeks. Dave showing me and Phil around his house in 7 Days was brilliant but couldn't hear him on the recording :(

Yeah some of the moments on GTA have been hilarious too, especially when we were all racing in a private lobby.  I know it is possible to do but the only way I have so far figured out would be a right pain so want to try and find an easier and more elegant solution.

45 minutes ago, Greboth said:

Yeah some of the moments on GTA have been hilarious too, especially when we were all racing in a private lobby.  I know it is possible to do but the only way I have so far figured out would be a right pain so want to try and find an easier and more elegant solution.

The best way to get around that is have us use something like TeamSpeak, we used to have an IP but we stopped after people stopped gaming. 

Now the games are flowing and there are plenty of us on, maybe we should look into it again?

I thought of doing something similar as I could record chat in a separate file but it means having several y splitters and then trying to 'line' up the chat audio with any videos if it is to be included etc.  Similar problems would be with a TS server but I think, having a capture card, there must be a more elegant and easier solution.

Dave showing me and Phil around his house in 7 Days was brilliant but couldn't hear him on the recording [emoji20]

So basically, everyone is okay apart from@Diddums?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

I thought of doing something similar as I could record chat in a separate file but it means having several y splitters and then trying to 'line' up the chat audio with any videos if it is to be included etc.  Similar problems would be with a TS server but I think, having a capture card, there must be a more elegant and easier solution.

I'll have a look around later and see if i can come up with anything.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

So basically, everyone is okay apart from@Diddums?

:lol: Na i think there's a few other people who haven't got it set up. If we're going to record something, i don't want to get to the end and realise some people don't have their audio recorded because it makes me sad. That GTAV video i did would have been hilarious if Dave had his recording, think he's missing that last step in the party settings.

So having looked in to it, there is an option in the menu to record commentary and export it to a separate file.  This should make it easier to get party chat with the right game moments and line up the timelines too.  The only way I can think to do this though for party chat it, my headset connects to my mixamp with a y-splitter.  If I then y-split each of the y-splitter so I would have four 3.5mm jacks - 2 for microphone and 2 for earphone.  I could then plug my headset in as normal in 2 of them, the other 2 I could run with another y-splitter on the end to combine them back to one 3.5mm jack which I could then plug in to my capture card.

11 minutes ago, Greboth said:

So having looked in to it, there is an option in the menu to record commentary and export it to a separate file.  This should make it easier to get party chat with the right game moments and line up the timelines too.  The only way I can think to do this though for party chat it, my headset connects to my mixamp with a y-splitter.  If I then y-split each of the y-splitter so I would have four 3.5mm jacks - 2 for microphone and 2 for earphone.  I could then plug my headset in as normal in 2 of them, the other 2 I could run with another y-splitter on the end to combine them back to one 3.5mm jack which I could then plug in to my capture card.

The only issue with that is you will loose quality, each line will be getting 25% so you're probably looking at between a 6-7 dB loss on each line. (Just looked this up and it's 7 dB, you loose 3.5 db on each line per split.

You can always crank this up later but it'll definitely be worth running some tests on it.

In terms of editing software, i bought myself this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Movie-Studio-13-Platinum-x/dp/B00HRQB216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489498789&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+platinum+editing

Well cheap and does everything i need it to do. It will be missing loads of features that other more expensive software's have but for beginners i think it's perfect.

If I do it like that then each split will be after the amp so should be quite easy to boost volume.  The volume I hear should also be the one being recorded so the volume and mix should be about right.

For editing, I have camtasia studio 8, it isn't great but does what I need for now.

9 minutes ago, Greboth said:

If I do it like that then each split will be after the amp so should be quite easy to boost volume.  The volume I hear should also be the one being recorded so the volume and mix should be about right.

For editing, I have camtasia studio 8, it isn't great but does what I need for now.

Sweet, sounds good! Would you mind if i used your intro for FG, would love to start throwing it at the start of my videos as it's pretty damn cool?

@tronic44 rather than spam up your PPR.  My headset is wired through an Astro Mixamp (2011 I think - the one that came with A40's) with a chat cable to the controller.  From memory my settings by default microphone and chat output are both set to mixamp but the only way I found to get party chat in a recording was to set output to HDMI.  Obviously this records all your lovely voices but not my own which is where my problems lie.  Maybe with yours being Bluetooth, it outputs everyones voices via bluetooh to the receiver plugged in your laptop?

As I said in your PPR, there is an option in the capture software to record chat to a separate file if, as I understand, your mic is plugged directly in to the HD60.  The idea being you can record as you stream and your voice goes to a separate file to the game recording then you can upload to youtube or wherever without your voice on if you wanted.  Therefore if you can get all party chat to this 3.5mm jack then it would be possible to get them as separate channels and make things easier.

I tried to split the output to my headset but now thinking should I have tried to split the chat cable between mixamp and controller?  I'll make a diagram later as I think its too convoluted to explain but would be interesting to see your settings for how you have got it working.

@Greboth Ahh misread your last post then, that's great that there's an option to record to a separate file. It sounds like the easiest way to do it would be to plug a separate mic into your computer and just make sure you talk into that too. 

The way I understand it is there's no way to also record your voice when using a mixamp, I'm not even sure if my Bluetooth will work but sounds like it will. When I'm plugged into my controller, that overrides the Bluetooth so it doesn't switch on, by having it in my PC I think I cheats it so it has both Bluetooth and wired. The chat still goes through the elgato but my voice transfers via the Bluetooth dongle. 

I honestly can't believe it's that hard to push through your own voice as well as others but it's all input/outputs so who knows where it's not getting picked up.

I hope this all works because I don't have a separate mic at the moment and would love to record something tonight.

See this is what I was thinking;

33166590293_1529039fc4_o.jpg

Split my mic and going in to the mixamp and audio coming out and re-combine them to go in to the Elgato.  It would record a mix of game sound and chat as a seperate audio channel with the normal capture just being game sound.  It didn't work though and I don't really know why.

Edit: Whoops, I realised I put the mic splittler the wrong way round.  I did have it the right way round when I tested this out.

I have a desk mounted mic so easy enough for me to use headset and desk mic at the same time, just a pain in the ass extra step for making the videos.