Let's talk about the Dark Zone

I'm already reading loads of complaints about it from the usual "I just want to go in and get loot and leave" crowd and this irritates me. There will be other means of getting high end gear, such as crafting, hard mode missions, lucky drops, and hopefully raids. There are enough risk-free ways of getting gear, I sincerely hope that Ubisoft doesn't cater to these people and leaves the DZ as it is. It's a high risk area where you have to be on your toes and risk all your gear in order to get better stuff, and this is a brilliant concept. 

What loads of people seem to be forgetting is that you can only lose what you pick up that session. Everything you have on you when you enter is 100% safe, people can not take that. You can not lose XP that you gained outside of the DZ, you can not lose cash that you got outside of the DZ and you can not lose gear that you got outside of the DZ. 

The same applies to sessions. If you extract something, that's it, it's yours forever. You can not lose it next time you go in to the DZ, so the only stuff you can lose is what you gained that session.

It irritates me that people are wanting Ubisoft to tweak the DZ into a cuddly friendly place where we can all dance together and get loads of free loot. There is enough content outside of the DZ to keep people busy, so can they kindly keep their hands off the DZ? 

I love it. I love that excitement of getting something nice, the tension of defending it until extraction, extracting it, and the relief of finally seeing that heli take it away. It's a tense and exciting area and that's exactly what it should be. 

/Rant over.

banlol.png

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree Daveikins, keep it the same otherwise they'll end up taking all the fun out of it. I haven't got to roll in a full team yet in the dark zone but i can imagine it's nothing but fun. I think the idea that people will loose anything at all will annoy people, mainly because people are bitches. If you don't like what they're doing then sell the game and deal with it but to change, what is, a large part of the game would be mental.

I guess it depends on how comparable the loot you can get outside the DZ is, otherwise you end up with the Destiny situation where you're forced to raid for the best gear and if you don't have friends to play with then LFG or SOL, which is fine, but recognize you will lose players who don't like the situation.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Thanks for clearing that up, Dave. I didn't realize you only lose the current stuff you gained that session. I thought everything on you was up for grabs. That's great. I love the DZ even more now.

No sir, if you walk in to the DZ and get killed before you loot anything, you lose nothing.

I guess it depends on how comparable the loot you can get outside the DZ is, otherwise you end up with the Destiny situation where you're forced to raid for the best gear and if you don't have friends to play with then LFG or SOL, which is fine, but recognize you will lose players who don't like the situation.

I'd like to see PVP geared perks on DZ gear and PVE geared perks on everything else.

banlol.png

I view the DZ as a bonus. I don't get attached to anything I pick up because it's not mine yet. Half the time I don't even really notice what I pick up, just the color.

DZ is awesome as it is. Almost to level 14 and then I'm gonna hit the DZ hard.

Thanks for clearing that up, Dave. I didn't realize you only lose the current stuff you gained that session. I thought everything on you was up for grabs. That's great. I love the DZ even more now.

That's one of the reasons why you want to look at other players when in the DZ. If they don't have anything in the contaminated canister (what ever it's called), there is a good chance they are up to no good. If they got stuff and wanting to extract they probably are not as much of threat

I'm still concern about it being unbalanced however. But since I have not tried it I can comment much further. Seems to me like this will only make solo players and marginal player's life harder. 

The thing is people want stuff, I get what they are going for and see it as a bonus or secondary to my pve gear however people will get frustrated by going in there and finding stuff putting in the work and then getting rolled when trying to extract, they will get frustrated and stop playing think destiny nightfall, people wanted loot, no loot no play.

I get what Ubisoft wanted from it and hoped they would get but as we all know the community will more than likely just find a way to fuck up the experience so I get that certain people want some changes because going in the DZ regularly and ending up with Jack to show for it will put people off and ultimately that could spoil the experience for other die hard fans.

To be fair I don't really know how it will pan out as the game moves forward, its too close to release to say, and I guess nobody knows what the really good gear is yet. But I have a couple of questions:

what happens if you have a internet disconnect, do you lose the unextracted gear?

What happens if you need to go do something IRL, is there a way of unextracted gear til later?

Without them questions both being yes's its going to have limited appeal

what happens if you have a internet disconnect, do you lose the unextracted gear?

I don't know about the DZ, but I was doing a mission the other day and lost connection half way through, I reconnected and was in the same mission, everything was saved - health bars, corpse locations, the lot. I suspect that as the DZ is a "live" zone it'll be the same too.  

What happens if you need to go do something IRL, is there a way of unextracted gear til later?

I doubt it Bob, although I did notice during the beta that there are some areas which only have one exit, presumably these were added for that very reason. Plus if you're rolling with a team you can always ask your team to defend you while you go squeeze one out.

banlol.png

I like the entire concept of the dark zone. Risk vs reward, the fear factor of friend or foe. Plus the possibility of going fully rogue and just being a general pita for people.

It's not like you get anything in the dark zone that you can't get in the PvE zone, it's just done differently.

Honestly, it's a great introduction and fits the ethos of the game quite well. I know it's not everyone's bag, but the beauty is that you don't even have to touch it to be able to get the same gear

I had one quick bash in there the other night and managed to pick up around 3 rogue agent kills when helping out another group who then promptly turned on me and nicked my shit!! Never a dull moment in the Dark Zone!!

Do you lose your equipped gear when you die in the dark zone or is it just any loot you're extracting? I haven't done my homework on this aspect really.

Just what you extract. Anything you get in PvE isn't touched.

Do you lose your equipped gear when you die in the dark zone or is it just any loot you're extracting? I haven't done my homework on this aspect really.

Read the OP dumbass :P

banlol.png

We spent about an hour in the DZ last night. I got up to DZ12 and made about $600, didn't buy anything though. We didn't come across a single player, everything we killed was an NPC. The extractions were fairly easy, it really was a good time. That said, we were in a party of four (bear, cripspee, lee and myself) so maybe players saw us and thought better of it, who knows. I'm loving it, the difficulty feels spot on, but it really is a team area, I don't think I would've stood a chance was it not for those guys. 

Got loads of blues, most of which are too high level for me to use but they're good to have for when I eventually level up. One thing I wish was better is the size of the DZ backpack, but I haven't really looked in to upgrading it yet, maybe I can simply flop some cash on the counter and get a new one, who knows.

Loving it. I can imagine it'll get pretty damn tense when you come up against another team. 

banlol.png