Commander_Undies

That's where Wiretap comes in, which, the more I think about it, the more brilliant that perk seems. Its usefulness is pretty much inversely proportional to the size of your party. If I was rolling with a full Alliance party I wouldn't even bother since I'd know we would likely have 3+ Sat Coms out the majority of the match. If I'm solo and I run into a situation like you described, suddenly it's my best friend in the world.

Dedicated Servers coming to all current gen, next gen consoles, and PC!

Infinity Ward’s Mark Rubin has just giving clarification and confirmation via Twitter that dedicated servers will be coming to all current and next-gen consoles as well as PCs.

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.

Mark Rubin further clarified that he is not allowed to mention any platform by name (presumbly due to the MSFT/ATVI contract), but that PS3/PS4 will be getting dedicated servers.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/10/07/ghosts-dedicated-servers-coming-to-all-current-and-next-gen-platforms-and-pc/

tumblr_m2ienvKRMM1qfbvj1.gif

I'm surprised. I'm happy. But, this just proves they could have done it in the past and chose not to. And even lied saying it was impossible.

Not necessarily true. They may not have had the resources to make it happen before.

Also completely possible that they lied about it :)

It's about fucking time. To be honest I think that the whole dedi servers thing was an ace that Activision was keeping in their sleeve for a rainy day. Dedi servers have always been possible. They'd probably have to have a community funded model like BF, but saying it wasn't possible before this is just flat out wrong.

If you ask me, the reason we're seeing this now is because CoD is losing ground. People lost interest in BO2 faster than any other CoD to date. BF4 is bringing the fight right to their door, then there are other titles like Destiny which are also going to want people's cash. If someone only gets one game for Xmas, they'd have to think wisely about what they want. Whereas previous years it could've been CoD right off the bat, there is now too much competition to simply rest on those laurels.

This is why we're now seeing dedicated servers. Not because of technological adcances, but because Activision needs to play every single card they have in order to hold their ground, and they know it.

banlol.png

Personally I don't think there's really going to be that much difference. For me BF3 plays the about the same as MW3 did connection wise, namely great for the most part with a laggy game on occasion (my connection issues with BO2 are well documented :P)

What does dedicated servers actually mean?

I know it's a good thing and all but I'm not exactly sure what's good about it and what it means for us...

If it makes the game smooth with no lag, then I expect ghosts to be like mw2 for me, totally addicting and the only thing I want to play...

blackops2sig.jpg

What does dedicated servers actually mean?

I know it's a good thing and all but I'm not exactly sure what's good about it and what it means for us...

If it makes the game smooth with no lag, then I expect ghosts to be like mw2 for me, totally addicting and the only thing I want to play...

One is you will no longer have host migration issues.

They are saying it will have both dedicated servers and PvP. That it will pick the best connection for you out of the two.not sure how well that going to work

I think it's great news. It probably won't solve all lag related issues but at least they are trying to do something. I'm nowhere near as excited for this COD but i don't think it's looking too shabby at the moment.

Also off topic a bit: I read the article through Rich's link on Facebook and who do I see in the comments section posting to his usual "I know best" way? None other than our favourite ex-admin Auptyk! Some things never change I guess

I think it's great news. It probably won't solve all lag related issues but at least they are trying to do something. I'm nowhere near as excited for this COD but i don't think it's looking too shabby at the moment.

Also off topic a bit: I read the article through Rich's link on Facebook and who do I see in the comments section posting to his usual "I know best" way? None other than our favourite ex-admin Auptyk! Some things never change I guess

lol that's a great spot Stretch!!