AI is scary!

Luseth

So I don't know if any of you saw it but on Friday there was an AI event in Switzerland, at said event journalists had the opportunity to question several AI robots, questions such as would you rebel against humans and will you replace human jobs cropped up and the responses were scarily conversational -

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsbs-au-brightspot.s3.a
WWW.SBS.COM.AU

Nine humanoid robots who participated in the AI for Good conference say they won't steal jobs or rebel against humans.

It is insane how quickly AI is progressing now and I don't see us and our laws and such will keep up fast enough, could we be ruled by ai in 20 - 30 years time? Could they actually solve climate change? I guess the possibilities are endless! Could we be fighting for our survival in the future akin to terminator.

Luseth.png

I know we shouldn't be ignorant to it all...but i can't help that its easier for my brain to cope with it that way.

And @phil bottle is right, again. FFS 🤣

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

The control over AI should've been established much sooner — Open AI have openly come out and admitted their Super Alignment Team are going to struggle to keep AI on a straight and safe path because of the rate of it's advancement and lack of technological breakthrough to deal with the problem. And this doesn't even take into consideration that you also have Meta and Google pushing for AI totalitarianism, and their lack of safeguarding.

Meta and Google also have much larger pools of personal data, which will most likely be used in some way to skew the AI race.

Deep Fakes and other AI tests are just the first things off the chopping blocks — imagine what life is to become when they really start taking over the political and industrial sections, undetected and uncontrolled.

It's an interesting topic, I certainly have no trust in any of the corporations and their plans for our future. 

AI would be super useful, machine learning already is, but unfortunately how we as a species organise our society, economically, politically and socially is pretty much unfit for the challenges we face.

I'd say the climate threat will escalate a lot quicker than ppl realise and if you see how we're dealing with that then good luck with managing AI...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

AI has really made insane leaps of late and it's crazy what has been achieved. Its also quite deadly as its already been heavily abused. I've read about people being framed for crimes which have even made court, families being conned by phone from who they think are relatives and extreme cases of blackmail.

Governments couldn't even understand or control things like lootboxes so I have no hope of this being regulated properly. The US Senate doesn't even fucking know how wireless routers work so chances are AI will probably end up regulating itself😎

22 hours ago, phil bottle said:

The climate threat will escalate a lot quicker than ppl realise and if you see how we're dealing with that then good luck with managing AI...

Personally I'm so torn about the climate change debate — I believe what the scientists are saying but, the way the media are pushing it and the policies the Government are putting in place only makes it look more like another crisis the rich will benefit from. Telling us we what we can and can't do to help save the planet while jetting around in private helicopters and planes. 

Can't see AI helping the working class person.

4 hours ago, Lurchzy said:

Personally I'm so torn about the climate change debate — I believe what the scientists are saying but, the way the media are pushing it and the policies the Government are putting in place only makes it look more like another crisis the rich will benefit from. Telling us we what we can and can't do to help save the planet while jetting around in private helicopters and planes. 

Totally get that, and we all know the climate crisis won't affect the rich as much as the rest of us.

You're right not to trust media, it's all owned by billionaires, its their agenda and too many people fall for the narratives they create.

I don't blame the younger generation having doubts about these things, it's a pretty scary future unless something drastically changes.

I'm a glass half full kind of person but I'm very worried about how it's all going to play out...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, Lurchzy said:

I think a lot of it is fear-mongering. Climate is definitely an issue and things have to change environmentally, but there are several hundred instances on record where extreme incidents of weather have occurred that cannot be attributed to typical aggravating human factors.

This time last year the UK had a 3 day heatwave where temps exceeded 35 and the record was broken, however 40 years previous, we experienced 15 days consecutive where it was greater than 32 degrees. The media and heavily-funded scientists tried to pin the phenomenon exclusively on climate last summer but it could’ve just been a nice few days of summer on a smaller scale than 40 years ago. It was bordering on Armageddon doomsday according to the BBC though!

If there really is an emergency then how about start grounding more commercial planes and private jets instead of rinsing the public for money simply for driving their cars on roads they need to travel down. Also doesn’t help with most protesters being hypocrites and disrupting innocent people. 

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Totally get that, and we all know the climate crisis won't affect the rich as much as the rest of us.

You're right not to trust media, it's all owned by billionaires, its their agenda and too many people fall for the narratives they create.

I don't blame the younger generation having doubts about these things, it's a pretty scary future unless something drastically changes.

I'm a glass half full kind of person but I'm very worried about how it's all going to play out...

Believe me I can't help but think everything is on a downward trajectory — a terrible mindset to have considering everything isn't all doom and gloom, it just seems that way if you tune into the News too much!

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I think a lot of it is fear-mongering. Climate is definitely an issue and things have to change environmentally, but there are several hundred instances on record where extreme incidents of weather have occurred that cannot be attributed to typical aggravating human factors.

This time last year the UK had a 3 day heatwave where temps exceeded 35 and the record was broken, however 40 years previous, we experienced 15 days consecutive where it was greater than 32 degrees. The media and heavily-funded scientists tried to pin the phenomenon exclusively on climate last summer but it could’ve just been a nice few days of summer on a smaller scale than 40 years ago. It was bordering on Armageddon doomsday according to the BBC though!

If there really is an emergency then how about start grounding more commercial planes and private jets instead of rinsing the public for money simply for driving their cars on roads they need to travel down. Also doesn’t help with most protesters being hypocrites and disrupting innocent people. 

You could go a step further in saying why are we (the UK) trying to do so much to stop green house gasses when the major contributors such as China seem to be doing so little? Now don't quote me on that as that may also be a media influenced statistic, you never know how much of what they say is actually true or has any truth in it.

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

That's some of the most idiotic shit I've ever read. You'll be sticking your head in the ground until kingdom come as far as I can see. Its not just heatwaves ffs but I'll leave you to it, whatever fits your own personal narrative. Nothing personal both James btw I'm beyond arguing with backward thinking idiocy, you play right into the hands of the cunts who are destroying this world.

Also, using China as a cop out is weak as fuck. Let's find someone else worse than ourselves so we don't have to do anything. Pathetic.

Fear mongering versus sweeping under the carpet lol, we're truly fucked when ppl can't see what's happening right in front of their eyes.

This is me mildly annoyed but then I'm in a rich country that will suffer a lot less than a lot of very poor people all around the globe.

So sick of this country. Full of conspiracy nuts too afraid to acknowledge that it is capitalism, colonialism and consumerism that's fucked us....apparently no it's the lizard people innit fml 😅😭

Time will tell and I've never been more certain of anything in my life.

I had a beer tonight 🙈

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

33 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

Believe me I can't help but think everything is on a downward trajectory — a terrible mindset to have considering everything isn't all doom and gloom, it just seems that way if you tune into the News too much!

You could go a step further in saying why are we (the UK) trying to do so much to stop green house gasses when the major contributors such as China seem to be doing so little? Now don't quote me on that as that may also be a media influenced statistic, you never know how much of what they say is actually true or has any truth in it.

China is shit, what's new. So are we sunshine 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

19 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

That's some of the most idiotic shit I've ever read. You'll be sticking your head in the ground until kingdom come as far as I can see. Its not just heatwaves ffs but I'll leave you to it, whatever fits your own personal narrative. Nothing personal both James btw I'm beyond arguing with backward thinking idiocy, you play right into the hands of the cunts who are destroying this world.

Also, using China as a cop out is weak as fuck. Let's find someone else worse than ourselves so we don't have to do anything. Pathetic.

Fear mongering versus sweeping under the carpet lol, we're truly fucked when ppl can't see what's happening right in front of their eyes.

This is me mildly annoyed but then I'm in a rich country that will suffer a lot less than a lot of very poor people all around the globe.

So sick of this country. Full of conspiracy nuts too afraid to acknowledge that it is capitalism, colonialism and consumerism that's fucked us....apparently no it's the lizard people innit fml 😅😭

I had a beer tonight 🙈

I know it’s not just heatwaves and I’m also not dismissing climate change - it’s a combination of media pressure on the public, shitholes like Twitter laden with misinformation, and absolute fucking morons like Sadiq Khan branding people (inducing local Muslim business owners) ‘nazi’s’ for being against aggressive environmental measures which is also proving to be a nice little forced revenue stream for his overseas business ventures. 

The majority of weather events attributed to climate change these days still remain factually unproven and records demonstrate that such extreme weather phenomenons have existed long before even records began. That’s not to say climate isn’t a factor today but the media are very quick to jump and play the climate change card.   

When the majority of climate protesters are hypocrites too, it can be impossible to sway other people especially with science still failing to provide concrete forwarding models. Them lot are really cashing in and they have nothing to lose and a guaranteed pile of money at their feet every 5 years. 

43 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I had a beer tonight 🙈

43 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

China is shit, what's new. So are we sunshine 🙂

By all means however you can't just deny the fact altogether — I was merely highlighting an alternative point, NOT delegating responsibility.

And using the US and China as 'cop outs' was not what I was doing. Highlighting the fact that the US and China emit billions of tonnes more than us is hardly 'pathetic'.

Screenshot_20230711-2259312.thumb.png.9c9790d4c8c5d2120b49041d6a8ed9ed.png

2 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

By all means however you can't just deny the fact altogether — I was merely highlighting an alternative point, NOT delegating responsibility.

And using the US and China as 'cop outs' was not what I was doing. Highlighting the fact that the US and China emit billions of tonnes more than us is hardly 'pathetic'.

Screenshot_20230711-2259312.thumb.png.9c9790d4c8c5d2120b49041d6a8ed9ed.png

If its used as an excuse then yes its a cop out. How many people live in China and the UK? How long has China been industrialised compared with this country? You do know that China is the workshop of the world doing our dirty work? Come on mate, how many shitty businesses in this country use China to make their tat? So yes, all countries need to sort their shit out but yeah its called whataboutery and its a cop out when we start the old "it's not just us" game, we practically started it all off 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

5 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

If its used as an excuse then yes its a cop out. How many people live in China and the UK? How long has China been industrialised compared with this country? You do know that China is the workshop of the world doing our dirty work? Come on mate, how many shitty businesses in this country use China to make their tat? So yes, all countries need to sort their shit out but yeah its called whataboutery and its a cop out when we start the old "it's not just us" game, we practically started it all off 

The changes the UK makes will make no difference to longevity of this planet's existence if the US and China do nothing. That is not to say the UK shouldn't still be making small steps to better help the environment, even if that's just to improve the air quality and energy solutions here on home soil.

14 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I know it’s not just heatwaves and I’m also not dismissing climate change - it’s a combination of media pressure on the public, shitholes like Twitter laden with misinformation, and absolute fucking morons like Sadiq Khan branding people (inducing local Muslim business owners) ‘nazi’s’ for being against aggressive environmental measures which is also proving to be a nice little forced revenue stream for his overseas business ventures. 

The majority of weather events attributed to climate change these days still remain factually unproven and records demonstrate that such extreme weather phenomenons have existed long before even records began. That’s not to say climate isn’t a factor today but the media are very quick to jump and play the climate change card.   

When the majority of climate protesters are hypocrites too, it can be impossible to sway other people especially with science still failing to provide concrete forwarding models. Them lot are really cashing in and they have nothing to lose and a guaranteed pile of money at their feet every 5 years. 

I don't care about what protestors are doing or Sadiq Khan. Totally irrelevant.

I'm also not a debate lord and so this is just me saying my piece. You can think what you like my friend 🙂

BP and Shell know whats coming, I promise you that.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 minute ago, Lurchzy said:

The changes the UK makes will make no difference to longevity of this planet's existence if the US and China do nothing. That is not to say the UK shouldn't still be making small steps to better help the environment, even if that's just to improve the air quality and energy solutions here on home soil.

Personally mate I think it's all moot at this point, we're beyond doing anything now more than mitigating the worst effects.

I'm glad I don't have kids.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 minute ago, phil bottle said:

Personally mate I think it's all moot at this point, we're beyond doing anything now more than mitigating the worst effects.

I'm glad I don't have kids.

Which one kills us all first Climate Change or AI? 😂

9 hours ago, Lurchzy said:

Literally the whole of the UK could go net zero this time next week and China alone could absolutely negate everything we do in less than 24 hours by increasing their output by a measly 0.005%. I'm also paying an extra £7,000+ a year on haulage costs from my trade teams yet these vehicles in use 330 times a year not even exclusively to me contribute less than a single plane in operation for a week flying the same amount of time. 

Countries like China and the US should be setting examples but all that's happened is other counties have made commitments and the likes of China have capitalised on such reductions in productivity by increasing their own and then bolstering their overseas trade back to the countries who reduced their own output!