Playstation presentation 2023

I didn't watch it (never really bother with these things) but it looks pretty disappointing overall. Biggest announcement was Metal Gear Solid Delta and then there was Spider Man 2 but other than that, nothing really significant. I am happy to see The Talos Principle 2 showcased as the original was excellent though.  

I'm literally putting some time aside now to put up each game in its own thread - I actually thought it was pretty decent tbh. At a time where the gaming world isn't looking overly great right now at all, they showed some really solid AAA titles and some good looking third party titles too. It would've been nice for maybe one or two more on the list but isn't that every show?

I've been feeling very distant with how games have been and I can only speak for myself for when I say that after watching all those games and previews come in, I felt somewhat better for the coming 18 months in games. Especially on PlayStation anyway because Xbox haven't done anything to give me that feeling recently.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

After writing my thoughts, just listened to the first minute of this guy and i have no idea how he could see the view that Phil Spencer from Xbox is gassed about that. Especially when we saw their presentations on Redfall and literally one game called Starfield that has to hit otherwise they haven't had a hit in current or last gen consoles at all. Such a strange guy.

Oh, and I also didn't get the anticipation next sentence he then said - they literally told us days ago it was happening, not weeks and months in advance so hype would be pitched accordingly. Odd take from MrMattyPlays there.

18 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

After writing my thoughts, just listened to the first minute of this guy and i have no idea how he could see the view that Phil Spencer from Xbox is gassed about that. Especially when we saw their presentations on Redfall and literally one game called Starfield that has to hit otherwise they haven't had a hit in current or last gen consoles at all. Such a strange guy.

Oh, and I also didn't get the anticipation next sentence he then said - they literally told us days ago it was happening, not weeks and months in advance so hype would be pitched accordingly. Odd take from MrMattyPlays there.

Yeah I generally don't watch his vids, I find him a bit annoying, so I only watched a bit of it myself.

I dunno Lee, I was watching the presentation and nothing excited me at all about the future developments in PlayStation, so I'll look forward to your thoughts on the games presented 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

39 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I dunno Lee, I was watching the presentation and nothing excited me at all about the future developments in PlayStation, so I'll look forward to your thoughts on the games presented 🙂

I suppose it depends on where your expectations were beforehand to whether or not you get over, under or just whelmed 😄 I went in not expecting a world of games because lets face it, even though we're 3 years into a new generation, it stills feels early as the game developing world just wasn't ready for it. I would say next years list of games for back end of 2024 and 2025 should be seriously pushing some of the limits we've already seen. But given that was my stance, and then seeing multiple games showing off some colourful and graphically pleasing FPS games, I think it was a solid presentation. Not amazeballs granted, but enough in there way above what Microsoft and other places have shown this year.

I realise more and more everyday that its all about where your mindset is when these things get dropped nowadays.

16 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I suppose it depends on where your expectations were beforehand to whether or not you get over, under or just whelmed 😄 I went in not expecting a world of games because lets face it, even though we're 3 years into a new generation, it stills feels early as the game developing world just wasn't ready for it. I would say next years list of games for back end of 2024 and 2025 should be seriously pushing some of the limits we've already seen. But given that was my stance, and then seeing multiple games showing off some colourful and graphically pleasing FPS games, I think it was a solid presentation. Not amazeballs granted, but enough in there way above what Microsoft and other places have shown this year.

I realise more and more everyday that its all about where your mindset is when these things get dropped nowadays.

If you keep bringing Microsoft into it I'll start calling you a Sony fanboy 😅 

But seriously, I'm not going to comment on the games as I'm really unimpressed and there's no point just adding negative stuff all the time 😉 someone may think it's a great line up after all.

Console games are mostly made for kids I suppose and not the likes of me, so I shouldn't be surprised 😥😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

If you keep bringing Microsoft into it I'll start calling you a Sony fanboy 😅 

🤣🤣 This is why I love you ❤️ The good thing on this conversation is I can geniunely say I very much disliked PlayStation when the Xbox came out and really wanted to stay on that side of things forever. I was completely devastated when they ruined their far away lead with the Xbox One and never thought I'd own a PS4. Weird how things work out now after all this time. I'm pretty confident Xbox will come good once again but just not yet; probably at least 2-3 years methinks because its always about the games and friends that can play those games.

But seriously, I'm not going to comment on the games as I'm really unimpressed and there's no point just adding negative stuff all the time 😉 someone may think it's a great line up after all.

Thats understandable and would agree that on some I don't have much to offer other than 'it looks decent' because its so early. But I do enjoy seeing other peoples thoughts here than anywhere else. I can get hyped just by other FGers being excited for something to come out and its probably how I ended up on many games over the past years rather than me seeing it and just wanting it straight off the bat.

Console games are mostly made for kids I suppose and not the likes of me, so I shouldn't be surprised 😥😁

Good, I LOVE being a big kid 😁 and you wouldn't enjoy me being a responsible adult either 😎 Out of it all though, I really hope you can get into Marathon. I loved those early days when people talked about Destiny and worked out what to expect and what would they hope to see/enjoy in the game. Thats the one for me out of them all that blows the rest of the previews of the water this early.

I am siding with Phil a little on this one, it was somewhat lacklustre and a lot of the games are all due to come to Xbox as well.

Final Fantasy XVI, I am a big fan of the series but the one thing I never really asked for was devil may cry fantasy XVI. Yes it might have fantastic looking summons and skill trees and such but this dashing about, teleporting crap is just not for me. I will likely play it and it will have an opportunity to at least find a place on my Final Fantasy shelf but it will need to have a good story (which I feel the last couple have lacked somewhat).

Spiderman 2 looked good but it did largely look more of the same with some new combat mechanics, that said it sounds like the story could be good with a potential fight between Miles and Peter at some point?

I won't say too much more in here and save it for the individual game threads 🙂 

But yeah I wasn't overly impressed with this showcase and I do think in part it is just the industry being somewhat stagnated, I did not really see many next gen looking games, where is the use of the processing power to create more intelligent ai or where is the use of all the fancy aspects of the PS5 controller we saw in Astrobot? I am finding a lot of my enjoyment of games at the moment relating to the PSP / PS Vita / PS3 / 360 era which is largely down to it's variety.

Luseth.png

Oh the other thing was the handheld drop, I think they were hoping that it would be a big deal and I really don't see much of a market for it. I am all for handhelds and heck my Switch get's played a lot but a handheld that is limited to your home where you typically have the option of playing on a big screen with a fancy audio set up just seems to have a bit of a niche market to me?

Luseth.png

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Oh the other thing was the handheld drop, I think they were hoping that it would be a big deal and I really don't see much of a market for it. I am all for handhelds and heck my Switch get's played a lot but a handheld that is limited to your home where you typically have the option of playing on a big screen with a fancy audio set up just seems to have a bit of a niche market to me?

I forgot about that. I liked the look of it but would have zero use for it currently.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg