Overwatch 2 PvE Mode CANCELLED

J4MES OX4D

Absolute catastrophe really. The one mode that was exclusively championed to justify a standalone sequel and was allegedly in solid development spanning years has been cancelled. Well that was the last chance of rejuvenating the brand to what it once was in terms of narrative potential and now all they have is a shell of an MP experience and the depleted community living of past glories of the lore that mean nothing now. 

4138607-2755527326-395111.jpeg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Game director Aaron Keller and executive producer Jared Neuss discuss why the eagerly-anticipated mode will...

Some more on this 

overwatch-2-1667327200531.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Overwatch 2 director Aaron Keller opened up about Blizzard's decision to cancel its PvE Hero mode, apologizing to fans and promising big things for its upcoming story missions.

The fact they released the game knowing that this mode was cancelled is absolutely disgraceful especially marketing the story right until the 11th hour. Community are absolutely furious and even some of the most loyal content creator partners are in total disbelief. With most of the OG creators gone along with the longstanding director, I actually think this brand is dead in the water. Such a shame because between 2016 and 2018 it was an unstoppable phenomenon across many media. Going the same way as Halo methinks. 

Its took me a while to get round to this but all I can say is I'm just sad to see the direction go away from deep PvE stuff in the game. I don't think everything they promised is exactly how some of the reporters are putting it but it doesn't matter much to me becaus its the sentiment behind them creating detailed PvE that I was really looking for in this game. With the change to 5v5 making the game feel way more sweaty competitive than before, I can see why we haven't had many people on this game lately. I know some still play it ( @Stretch616  @LordBaguette @Noct for instance) and I do miss playing our stacked games together as one co-ordinated push as a team is still an awesome feeling - however, the game just felt like it needed detailed PvE stuff to give it enough variety so you felt like you could go on it multiple nights.

Tom said last night he wouldn't be surprised if the first story missions end up free after the backlash and I think that would make sense too. Usually these early hearings of cost and what is being delivered this early in the gaming news is a test from publishers to work out how it is being received and what they can do to bring people in to the franchise again.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Tom said last night he wouldn't be surprised if the first story missions end up free after the backlash and I think that would make sense too. 

That would be an empty gesture I feel and even the prospect of story missions is a far cry from what was extensively promised and in development for 4 years. They probably had about 25 hours of live events, trailers and interviews outlining the PvE portion alone which was going to be a fully-fledged campaign with full character development and integrated lore past and present. Also the fact they sold this illusion before Overwatch 2 released knowing it was cancelled is the ultimate kick in the teeth. With only a skeleton crew left at Blizzard and all the big names leaving, I'm not holding out any hope or going to be fooled by freebies. The amount they make on skins as it is, future updates should be entirely free anyway. 

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

That would be an empty gesture I feel and even the prospect of story missions is a far cry from what was extensively promised and in development for 4 years.

Maybe so, but its free i'd be stupid not to give it a go. If the mission was decent, it could pull me in to play the others. Based on previous PvE missions, if they are like that then its a no from me. Mechanics and just shooting is needed. The upgrading heroes would've been absolutely awesome to grind and enjoy the chase to get them all upgraded.

And even worse

5hmRU6nyVWJyUzQ58H2nWi-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

We shouldn't expect any new story missions for the next couple of seasons of Overwatch 2

They'd be better off scrapping this altogether because it's just making what's left of the community even more furious and many high profile community members are walking away by the day. Also defies belief that despite supposedly 4 years of development, they can't seem to recycle any content or ideas from the cancelled portion. It was bad enough the prospect of seasonal-based story missions but now they aren't even committing to that which just gives the impression the whole single player portion is a backseat consideration and they don't even want to do it. They've already broken their promise and killed trust so cancelling the stories entirely isn't gonna make much of a difference anyway. 

They released their stripped down version of some PvE missions this past week. Early reviews and gameplay shows its just exactly like the missions we've had already for the past 6 years. Such a shame as I still think they had scope to carry on with the PvE side, even if we had to wait a further year or two.