J4MES OX4D

Not sure if I'd quite class this is retro yet but it certainly was of a very different generation where we were still using discs, pre-orders meant something and midnight launches existed and were huge! This was an insane year for gaming in terms of quantity and quality and I can't believe many of these games will be turning 15 throughout this year:-

- Grand Theft Auto 4

- Metal Gear Solid 4

- Gears of War 2

- Fallout 3

- Burnout Paradise

- Dead Space

- Far Cry 2

- Fable 2

- Spore

- FIFA 09

- Mario Kart Wii

- Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

- God of War

- Mirrors Edge

- Crysis Warhead

- Battlefield: Bad Company

- Need For Speed: Undercover

- Call of Duty: World at War

- Left 4 Dead

- Little Big Planet

- Saints Row 2

- Silent Hill Homecoming

- Tomb Raider Underworld

- C&C Red Alert 3

- Devil May Cry 4

- Valkyria Chronicles

- Persona 4

GTA IV's launch was absolutely massive from what I remember and MGS4 was a huge system seller 10 years from the original's release. Fallout 3 took the RPG into 3D and Gears of War 2 continued to build on the Xbox's important exclusive. FIFA was really turning a corner as PES was fumbling its generation transition and Burnout Paradise was great fun on all systems. I probably only picked up a quarter of the list but even that was a huge amount. The PSP and Nintendo DS were really popular although I didn't have neither but the Wii was also selling masses of units and offered something different in terms of audience and interactivity. Spore didn't really live up to its ambitions but was still decent and Mirrors Edge pushed visual and mechanical boundaries. WAW to finish the year off was also nice but many at the time felt the series played itself safe after IW made huge strides after their Modern Warfare gamble with COD 4. 

Gamers were also spoiled with many having plenty of games from 2007 on the back-burner or still being played such as Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Portal, Crysis, Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy and The Orange Box plus many more. I honestly don't know how I managed to squeeze so many in during this era! 

In 2008 I bought my first Xbox 360 second hand from CEX, although I think they had a different name then.

With it, i picked up Cod 4, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock and I still remember my excitement.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

17 hours ago, phil bottle said:

In 2008 I bought my first Xbox 360 second hand from CEX, although I think they had a different name then.

With it, i picked up Cod 4, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock and I still remember my excitement.

And Spurs won the League Cup too - what a time to be alive😎

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

And Spurs won the League Cup too - what a time to be alive😎

The last bit silverware after a good run of cups in each decade, the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and noughties lol but nothing for 15 years but bread and water 🙈😢

jeffersonclasswar.jpg