Championship Manager 3 on Windows 10!

GazzaGarratt

Never thought i'd see the day of being able to play CM3 on a PC these days....but I now can and its glorious!ย ๐Ÿ˜Žย This was one part of my childhood that I really do miss and the earlier Football Manager games really hit the spot, after the MS-DOS days but before later managing games added far too much detail and dials to tinker with. CM3 was the 98/99 season with 15 leagues you could actually load up at the start and move to other countries if you felt like a job overseas mid-game. Also was the days of the Foreign player restriction rule which meant you could only have 3 players classed as foreign to that league in the team at any one time.

I know a few people love these types of games and its probably within reach for some if you have the following elements:

ย 

1. A CD version of Championship Manager 3
  2. A CD disc reader (ofc!)
  3. A patch (v3.04e) to be downloaded from here
  4. Windows 10

ย 

I found some great advice from another website that told me to download the patch otherwise you get a compatibility error when it tries to run. Once the patch is downloaded, unzip the file and run the Setup.exe file in there. It will do what it needs to do and remove some quick files which leaves you to finally just right click the shortcut on CM3 and enter the Properties.

ย 

Once in there, select the Compatibility below for this game and click Apply.

ย 

image-3.png

ย 

Then run the game to sit back and listen to that crowd noise at the start and cheer along with them! A few pics below of the game and installing! Can't beat some nostalgia...and Marcelo Salas on the Home Screen ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

f6bf5d37-a694-4f83-917e-0b531074fddc.jpgย  ย d938b780-4600-45e1-ac2e-9fe63fbdaf15.jpg

ย 

5b12bb3f-0d59-485c-9ca8-598a920cf7f9.jpg

ย 

ย 

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I played the Championship Manager series religiously from CM2 all the way until it split into FM/. CM04/05 was my last and I never really got into FM partly because of burnout and although it was made by the same people, it just felt a bit off. Haven't played one since. 01/02 was king because it was CM3 perfected after years of work and experience. CM4 was a bit of a change in terms of interface and the introduction of the 3D map but I quite liked it in the end. Cannot beat seeing your players with 20's all over their stats.ย 

ย 

My mate from school once played 144 seasons and ended up blowing his hard drive after going on an insane grind - ended up in the Hungarian league with Phil Scholes, Robbie Giggs and Thierry Harry as the algorithm was stretched to the max trying to generate new players. I didn't see him for the first 5 weeks of the holiday and I don't think he had a bath in that time either๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

CM2 was a great introduction for me and I was often mesmerised by the background pictures. You can get the games from *cough *myabandonware for ease - I still think I have all mine boxed in storage.ย 

On 1/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

My mate from school once played 144 seasons and ended up blowing his hard drive after going on an insane grind - ended up in the Hungarian league with Phil Scholes, Robbie Giggs and Thierry Harry as the algorithm was stretched to the max trying to generate new players. I didn't see him for the first 5 weeks of the holiday and I don't think he had a bath in that time either๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Wowserย ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃย I do also love the idea in real life that soon we'll get these types of players through the ranks at Bolton. "Scholes to Giggs who crosses for Harry!"ย ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

I'm looking forward to starting a co-op game when @Findmartinย comes round next time. I'll also start a single player one this week with Blackburn. Going to find Ian Moore at Stockport and offer him a luctrative contract for 12 years in exchange for 100 goals per seasonย ๐Ÿ˜Ž

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I can't wait to come round and play this buddy! Those images for the backgrounds ๐Ÿ˜ I agree with what you've said, the later games just ddidn't quite do it for me as there were too many things to tinker with.

ย