Personal sales/Trading

*Without first considering the forum rules on the matter: wondering if there could be a "For Sale" section of the forum for individuals who are looking to sell / buy items could go. I have a good amount of XBOX 360 / PS3 games, DVD's & Blu-ray movies that I'd like to put up...

It might open up other avenues for people to sell items here. We know "Drifter" makes awe worthy fly poles and tanks, and others sell candle type home items. Maybe it would be a cool way to put things out there for sale or trade to our members. There are negatives and positives.

Thoughts?

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 50/50 on stuff like this. I have seen it tear communities apart, and I have seen where its been okay for everyone. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

kinda feel like it only takes one problem for the whole thing to fall apart -- nice idea, just dunno how long it'll fly. 

i'll say for my part that i've participated in monetary transactions with people here who i've come to trust, and the experience was great.

I'm glad it was as good for you as it was for me.  ;) 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

I'm 50/50 like Sennex. Well, I guess I lean towards against, but I don't feel very strongly about it. I see where it could go south and cause some tension between individuals, but I like to think we're better than that. Personally, I give stuff to friends and sell stuff on ebay—don't like mixing business and family. "Don't ask me about my business Kay"

That said, you should check out this fantastic deal.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

I'm all for this, but it'd require some stringent moderation and babysitting. We'd have to have a separate usergroup for people who we could assign a name, like "Epic Member" in tribute to our long lost friend Tobias (seriously, where is that dude?).

I could set it up in an hour or so but I need more feedback. Toss some ideas around folks!

banlol.png

I'm all for this, but it'd require some stringent moderation and babysitting. We'd have to have a separate usergroup for people who we could assign a name, like "Epic Member" in tribute to our long lost friend Tobias (seriously, where is that dude?).

I could set it up in an hour or so but I need more feedback. Toss some ideas around folks!

I used to chat w/ him once in a while on FB.  He was going through some hard times.  I haven't heard from him in quite some time.  I'll have to look him up again.  He was a good dude.  

I'm a little confused on the "separate usergroup" thing.  So, we would basically have to be pre-approved to be able to see the thread?  If that's the case, I think it's a great idea.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

^ I like that idea too. If we use paypal it should be as easy as a PM, see if payment was sent and go ship the flippin' thing.

Would we offer a list of acceptable practices? EG: If you're trying to sell something have it on hand ready to go (not at your friends that wont call you back in the next town), how to present items for sale (images - where/how to upload/share), acceptable ways to let the seller know you want an item so they can give you their payment info (prevent spaming someones PPR if they haven't answered someone back), preferred ways to send payment, preferred shipping avenues (or ways that will limit shipping costs per continent), Shipping cost standards/who absorbs shipping costs (to eliminate things like selling a game for $1 with $20 shipping <_<), acceptable time between payment and shipment, how to update your list/thread with a pending sale or sold indication, deleting PM's with personal info (name/address/telephone) to protect each other, etc...

Just throwing out ideas.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Well the separate usergroup is just that, a usergroup which isn't defined by post count or anything like that, each member will have to be assigned it manually. Anyone else, won't be able to see the forum.

We would however need to have some form of criteria. I don't want people ranting and raving because they didn't get a spot in the group (yet) and kicking up a fuss, so we'd probably need a voting system or something. If the majority trust you, you get access. If not, no moaning.

Payment and postage would be a bit tricky. I want no responsibility for this, so we'd have to keep it as tigh as a duck's arsehole. Payment would either have to be Paypal Gift (non reversable) or bank transfer. In either case, a screenshot would have to be saved to a database here on the site in the event of goods not arriving, arriving broken, etc etc. Same with postage. Only tracked services would be used, and a tracking number would have to be supplied with the transaction.

We'd need a process for this however, and time limits. So say someone shows interest, the item is reserved for three days. If payment isn't made within three days, the item can be relisted for sale. If however the payment is made, then the seller will have three days to send the item and provide a valid tracking number. We then need to allow some time for shipping, I don't know how long shipping takes in the US but it's usually next day here with Royal Mail, so I'd allow 5 working days for if something goes wrong.

Buyer says he / she received item and is satisfied, seller has received cash and is satisfied, job done, thread locked.

EDIT: Of course anyone partaking in this will have to be aware that the forum or its staff members assume no responsibility for the action of its members. The most we can do is ban members, if you wish to pursue non payment or fraudulent activity, you're on your own. I realise we're all mates here and the odds of this happening are slim to zero, but there's always the future, and our Google ranking has been pretty kind lately.

I'm considering a trust system, so that members can leave feedback for each other but let's get the basics sorted first.

Anyone see any loopholes / issues with this? Any ideas or suggestions?

banlol.png