Vampire Survivors

J4MES OX4D

This simple game is taking off massively and it only costs £2/$3 on Steam. It's early access and was only released in December but the foundation is absolutely solid apparently and is incredible fun

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1644440536
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Mow thousands of night creatures and survive until dawn! Vampire Survivors is a gothic horror casual game with rogue-lite elements, where your choices can allow you to quickly snowball against the...

Currently sitting at 99% overwhelmingly positive reviews making it one of the highest scoring games ever on the platform and there are nearly 40,000 reviews submitted for this. 

WAB also did a snippet on it the other day

I highly recommend this one.  It's basic as hell, but hot damn is it fun!  @Rumelylady and yours truly have been abusing it in that loving kind of way.  😉

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Picked this up earlier and it's absolutely amazing! Really addictive and highly enjoyable gameplay. My best run was level 15 so far but oh boy can things go sideways out of nowhere😂 Plenty to unlock and experiment with too and the mechanics just feel flawless for what it is. This would also be a perfect game for the Steam Deck and anyone with a spare 30 mins here and there. 

So true. If/when we're able to get a Steam Deck when they come out it'll be one of the first games I play on it.

Last night I had my best run at over 30 minutes and level 102 in the library. It's interesting trying to find the best balance between what's useful in early levels and will help in higher levels. Items I've found key are garlic, the whip, and the bible for when you start getting swarmed. The axes and fireballs are great too because they later evolve into great aoe damage for higher levels. There's a pentagram item that makes everything on your screen disappear periodically that I want to try leveling up in a run because that would be really good for high levels when you're just a tiny bubble on the screen surrounded by enemies.

3 hours ago, Rumelylady said:

So true. If/when we're able to get a Steam Deck when they come out it'll be one of the first games I play on it.

Last night I had my best run at over 30 minutes and level 102 in the library. It's interesting trying to find the best balance between what's useful in early levels and will help in higher levels. Items I've found key are garlic, the whip, and the bible for when you start getting swarmed. The axes and fireballs are great too because they later evolve into great aoe damage for higher levels. There's a pentagram item that makes everything on your screen disappear periodically that I want to try leveling up in a run because that would be really good for high levels when you're just a tiny bubble on the screen surrounded by enemies.

What does the bible actually do? That may be a useful item I have completely overlooked especially when getting swarmed. I think a good strategy is to choose two or three projectiles and focus on buffing them up rather than spreading out 4-5 different ones. When those don't appear, I grab health, armour or damage improvements. I was rocking 6 knives on one run and those go off in the direction you face so it's ideal for clearing a forwarding path. The axes are also very powerful in a vertical direction especially if you have two or 3 going off. The water can also clear some much needed space and I've had some massive damage output from the cross. I am beginning to swerve the bombarding birds and projectiles that have no accuracy like the bone or flame as those can get you into trouble post-level 15 onward. 

I've been screwed over so many times with the skeleton swarm on the meadow and sometimes early on I can tell I am not going to have enough power or defence to get through them. The library is a pretty cool level - only done it a couple of times but despite being very narrow, you can get some serious flow going and really tear groups apart. 

This is my best run so far - only hopped on for 5 minutes just to try and get the Runetracer leveled up to 7 for the achievement and instead ended up sweating it in the library🤣

Only level 66 but it really got out of control very quickly. The shield and evolved axe really made a difference. 

1336150690_VampireSuvivors.thumb.jpg.1fce0a6819a3a71df4b610a563f8959e.jpg

The evolved axe is amazing!

I've had all my best runs in the library. I like getting garlic, bible, and whip. The three together give you a pretty good bubble to avoid being swarmed. As far as I can tell the bible works a bit like the garlic, but it depends on where exactly it's floating around you at a given time. The evolved fire will also make a difference and agree with the water. It's not always my first choice, but as you upgrade it and move with it's pattern it's great for getting gems. Whenever I can, I also grab spinach, the weapon duplicator, and area expansion. Anything that benefits all weapons is super helpful.

I 100% agree with choosing a few projectiles and focusing on upgrading them. It's tempting to just get all the things, but more focused damage from a particular weapon is better when things get hairy.

4 hours ago, Rumelylady said:

The evolved axe is amazing!

I like getting garlic, bible, and whip. The three together give you a pretty good bubble to avoid being swarmed.

I landed the Heaven Sword today a couple of times and that seems to lack punch for me even though it seemed to do well on the stats at the end. The Evolved Axe just looks good and it's so satisfying to see your enemies get pushed out of the way and a nice space open up. I tried a Garlic run earlier and it was a bit of a slog to level up but it certainly is effective - definitely more of a defensive weapon so it's important you also have some heavily-leveled projectiles at hand. Bible seems to act more an offensive one but also provide enough of a defence top bottom and sides.  

I really need to have a look at what's required to Evolve weapons as I've only by chance stumbled on a couple of combinations to get the Axe and Sword so far. Tomorrow I am going to try and get the achievement of surviving 20 minutes with Krochi - that's a very long time in this game! 

Reached level 70 in the Mad Forest only to get one-shotted by a boss😂 Also completed all the weapon evolves now.

New patch today which added 7 achievements - I was 3 off the 46 club only for them to add 4 more!

c8798c0fe833e366d0303c98989eb6cf4d743a28
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

New characters and a PowerUp

This seriously needs to be on iOS and android.  It's literally the perfect mobile game NOT on mobile.

The full release launched a few months back and now, some new DLC released for this one on the 15th.  This game is seriously worth it and possibly a GoTY candidate for a lot of people.  Such an easy concept that just feels really fun to play.

New expansion released 

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1681397913
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A fighter, a mage, and a thief enter a forest: a quest. Explore a surprising new forest, called Lake, and wield incredible new weapons, like the sword, the arrow, and the magic, in this fantasy based on...