FIFA World Cup 2022

J4MES OX4D

Really happy for Southgate and for the players he brought on throughout the game. They all played their part. Very patient and needed to be in the group stages. Senegal isn't an easy task at all considering they are the African Champions atm.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Japan 2-1 Spain! Germany are still playing and they are heading out😂 With 20 minutes left, both Spain and Germany were heading out but the latter turned it around but it isn’t gonna be enough. Absolute drama!

Japan must be the favourites right now!

Another insane finale to the groups today - South Korea beat Portugal 2-1 in the last minute sending home Uruguay on goals scored who were leading Ghana 2-0 at the time. Suarez was in tears for the ultimate revenge for Ghana and pretty much the whole of Africa after 2010 but Uruguay were denied a blatant injury time penalty and had they scored, they would've gone through by one goal.  

Some fantastic upsets just showing why football is loved so much being one of the most unpredictable sports in the world. Really hoping we can carry momentum into the Senegal game today. I really do think it will be a tough match and probably more stop/start than a full flowing game. Feeling positive still though so come on England!

3-0 England! Solid display overall despite a shaky first 30 minutes. First goal was a clinical move and sweeping finish and the second was a superb breakaway at a crucial time. Third one wrapped it up and we saw out the game comfortably. Also nice to see us being more direct because all that backwards passing in the opening quarter put us into real trouble more than once. Bellingham was immense again and a fine display from Henderson who seems to have been around longer than Madonna!

France a week Saturday it is! 

Don't take anything away from Senegal though, the first 30 minutes was as much because of their tactics / game management as well. 

They set up to defend and then nick a goal, they almost managed that as well. We only went on to a comfortable victory because we got the first goal and they had to attack then and it opened up spaces for us to counter attack.

Had Senegal's first goal gone in and then Senegal sat back and defended the rest of the game I am not so sure we would have gone through.

That said thrilled with the result, France will be a tough game next but I feel there will be goals at both ends of the pitch.

Luseth.png

Uruguay defender could face a 15 match ban. Apparently elbowing an official in the back of the head during a melt down over a late penalty being denied vs Ghana. 

1_Screenshot-2022-12-04-at-090301-copy.j
WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

Jose Gimenez could be banned for 15 matches after he appeared to elbow a FIFA official in the...

Total shit show from Korea last night - thought they could take the game to Brazil and ended up getting spanked right from the off. You can get away with that against the likes of Lincoln and Forest Green but Brazil is a totally different proposition. Lucky it remained 4 and could've even been six at half time.

25 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Oh dear

A faux pa for sure but as usual Twitter picks up this and goes mental with it when no one picks up Jenas saying Minamino played in Germany when he hadn't! Thats the world wide webz for you.

England really impressed me the other night. Southgate gets them to focus on themselves and be patient. African Champions and broker them down over time to an emphatic finish. Its probably going to take us much longer to break down France but its great going into a game finally feeling the opposition can fear us rather than it be the other way around all the time.

Japan just lost steam and clearly the experience does matter at those pivotal moments like Extra Time and Penalties. One thing is for sure though, the draw now gives us some fantastic games left and the fact we're involved gives it a nice little edge to it all. Bring on Saturday!

Brazil 1-1 Croatia (2-4pens)

What an incredible game! Croatia were remarkable and the keeper made a string of crucial last ditch saves. Brazil looked like they won it in extra time but Croatia never looked deflated and got a very late equaliser - serves them right for not seeing out the game. Neymar didn't even get round to talking a penalty either! 

Modric is just too good. Most underrated footballer ever! 

Morocco 1-0 Portugal! Incredible stuff really and highly deserved. They've beaten some serious opposition and have only conceded one and that was an own goal too. Ronaldo has to take a lot of the blame for the exit - his conduct on and off the field as he struggles to accept is age is really souring his team club and country. Him and his wife were quite bitchy after the exceptional 6-1 win and I feel the negativity carried into this game. He also just storms off the pitch every game instead of shaking hands with the opposition win, lose or draw and it's not doing his image or future coaching credentials any favours behaving so childishly. 

Credit to Morocco and their manager who's only been in the role 3 months for another solid and deadly display. 

I think England were unlucky last night. Started off a bit slow but was persistently robbed by corrupt ref. Didn’t take our chances and the penalty miss was just typical for us. Kept France largely at bay including the overrated Mbappe who the media seem to suck off relentlessly but two quality finishes really undone us. Really not sure where we go from there though as it’s another miserable exit and failure to beat a top 5 side. 

These refs are absolutely shocking - last night and in the Holland game I haven’t seen anything like it since the old days of FIFA corruption. Defined a first half penalty and the first France goal was a blatant foul on Saka in the build up. He didn’t even want to give our second penalty either!

14 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

jm-martinez-comp.jpg?1670681127&strip=al
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

EMILIANO MARTINEZ could face a World Cup semi-final ban for his verbal blast at Spanish referee...

He's a fucking knob. Hard to believe he played for my team Oxford🤣

?type=og-image

On 12/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

I think England were unlucky last night. Started off a bit slow but was persistently robbed by corrupt ref. Didn’t take our chances and the penalty miss was just typical for us. Kept France largely at bay including the overrated Mbappe who the media seem to suck off relentlessly but two quality finishes really undone us. Really not sure where we go from there though as it’s another miserable exit and failure to beat a top 5 side. 

These refs are absolutely shocking - last night and in the Holland game I haven’t seen anything like it since the old days of FIFA corruption. Defined a first half penalty and the first France goal was a blatant foul on Saka in the build up. He didn’t even want to give our second penalty either!

I think its okay to say sometimes 'that's just football'. The deserving team and better performing one doesn't always win and thats why we love football for its unpredictability. Some of the harsher views will slowly come out of the wardrobe and say get rid of Southgate, time for a fresh change, bottled it again, (Carragher saying should've been braver), etc, but I think any balanced footballing brain can watch that game and say they wouldn't have done much differently. Sometimes your chances go in and sometimes they don't. Didn't make subs until late because the team were playing extremely well and then still gets criticised for making it too late or bringing a player off people think that could've scored 17 more goals in 5 mins left. First goal shouldn't have stood quite clearly and its a wonder goal to boot too. We probably could've had 5-6 pens and i'm not sure how Griezmann stayed on the pitch for the amount of fouls he was making. Can't use them as the final excuses, just facts that will compound our misery.

Disappointment is a part of life, but I equally admit that I wish it wasn't this night. That team really was going all the way and just got knocked in a stupidly close game.

To add, its quite refreshing to see (but I do worry about the hidden agenda) that some of the senior reporters that can be so lethal with their words are finally using some more grounded words which make sense:

Whats still interesting though is for every one of these well-balanced views, you'll get someone saying 'we haven't beaten anyone of interest still' - just look at the replies to the second one for starters. Yes, lets keep showing the world how arrogant we can be and show disrespect to the teams we've beat in Southgate's era that are now more relevant than other countries that we think are big just because their history.

No way was that (another) penalty last night. Peter Walton is also doing my head in with his analysis. The player literally ran into the keeper after scuffing his shot - keeper couldn't get out of the way and the Argentinean player was never going to make the second ball and made no attempt to either. If this is the standard then you could basically kick the ball, run into someone and then claim a free kick. Keeper made a legit attempt to block the shot and actually forced the striker to shoot tamely and off-target. 

Refs are just getting worse and Walton's interpretations of fouls are nauseating. Him and VAR are forgetting common sense.