Mothership 1E

Bluebear

Has anyone else been following Mothership and the upcoming 1E version? I found the Kickstarter having not known anything about it beforehand, but after looking into it I fell in love with the whole idea of a sci-fi horror RPG and promptly backed it.

...And then several other third party story collections, modules and pamphlets that were also doing Kickstarters for their own 1E compatible versions. Yep, I'm in deep.

Mothership's system is primarily based on D10/D100 rolls, but what's interesting about it is there's stress and panic mechanics baked in. Fail a check or save, you get stress. Stress can actually improve saves, but get too much stress and you can move into full blown panic which either be good or bad depending on the result of the panic check (eg. more focused on the task at hand, or gain detrimental conditions. Yep you guessed it, there's a LOT more negative than positive results for a panic check...).

The rules of Mothership as a whole however, are quite light, with the onus on the DM (or Warden, in Mothership parlance) to craft a dramatic and interesting story.

While the actual print layout etc hasn't been finalised yet, the core mechanics of 1E are pretty much established, and as such, I'm gonna test out running a solo game with my mate over the next week or so with a one-shot I've had a go of writing myself. It'll probably go terrible, but it'll be a learning experience nontheless!

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

2 hours ago, Bluebear said:

Has anyone else been following Mothership and the upcoming 1E version? I found the Kickstarter having not known anything about it beforehand, but after looking into it I fell in love with the whole idea of a sci-fi horror RPG and promptly backed it.

...And then several other third party story collections, modules and pamphlets that were also doing Kickstarters for their own 1E compatible versions. Yep, I'm in deep.

Mothership's system is primarily based on D10/D100 rolls, but what's interesting about it is there's stress and panic mechanics baked in. Fail a check or save, you get stress. Stress can actually improve saves, but get too much stress and you can move into full blown panic which either be good or bad depending on the result of the panic check (eg. more focused on the task at hand, or gain detrimental conditions. Yep you guessed it, there's a LOT more negative than positive results for a panic check...).

The rules of Mothership as a whole however, are quite light, with the onus on the DM (or Warden, in Mothership parlance) to craft a dramatic and interesting story.

While the actual print layout etc hasn't been finalised yet, the core mechanics of 1E are pretty much established, and as such, I'm gonna test out running a solo game with my mate over the next week or so with a one-shot I've had a go of writing myself. It'll probably go terrible, but it'll be a learning experience nontheless!

The only sci-fi rpg I've ever played is Paranoia but this looks interesting!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I really do think it could be a good idea to see if its a decent game to bring to the meet up in November perhaps? Depends how long it is but i'm willing to give it a go if others are!

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb