Mod or Pre-Alpha?

J4MES OX4D

I'm so tempted to buy this now. Thing is, I can't really afford it so I'd have to put it on a credit card. I don't do credit cards :/

In all honesty the mod is far better at the moment. Now I'm geared up and have supplies all I can do is hunt the few other people on each server. Atleast in the mod you can make camps, take vehicles etc. It may be worth it to just wait till it's at a later stage.

You have to make the male character as default, took me a few goes to work out lol

Just popped back on the Alpha and it doesn't seem to work for me.  A few others seem to be experiencing the same thing.  I create my character make as default and when I go back to the menu; my character has my selected clothes but is female.  I spawn in on a server and I'm a female yet if I go back into the character customisation; I'm showing as my created character. Weird!

There was an update today, I've played a couple of hours and all seems fine.

I know there has been a spate of DDosing of late :angry:

Did you sort out the sex of your character yet?

Oh I did - I died and respawned as a man! He was black but that's good enough for me!

Update seems to have fixed the woes from yesterday which is great.  There was unbelievable panic setting in on the DayZ Steam community forum - every other message posted yesterday was the practically the same and most people were requesting refunds! 

Oh I did - I died and respawned as a man! He was black but that's good enough for me!

Update seems to have fixed the woes from yesterday which is great.  There was unbelievable panic setting in on the DayZ Steam community forum - every other message posted yesterday was the practically the same and most people were requesting refunds! 

I know, it's hilarious the way people chuck their toys out of the pram.

There's going to be all sorts of issues and character wipes and all sorts that will send people ballistic.

I've been lucky enough so far...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I know, it's hilarious the way people chuck their toys out of the pram.

There's going to be all sorts of issues and character wipes and all sorts that will send people ballistic.

I've been lucky enough so far...

I swear the DayZ community on Steam is more immature and stupid than the idiots that plague the official Call of Duty one. There is about 16,500 threads on the board and every time a new one is upped; you refresh and it's down to page 4. About 2,000 were regarding the issues from the other day and all practically the same! Needs moderation desperately.

Here's my favourite comments from two days ago (copy and pasted+all English speaking users....apparently!):

'My dayz no worken. joned server got boted amd now dont play. can i get moneys bak plz'

'plad Dayz earlier n server crashed. wot do i do n is this game broke now n do i get money cos of this problem i am havin help me pls'

'I want a refund for DayZ because the finished product is a complete joke. I know this is the alpha but I paid my twenty quid and it doesn't work properly. Reply if you want to protest and we can set up a group and if we get even a hundred members interested; they have to refund us'

This is why I'm so happy to have found ForeverGaming; a nicely sized forum with a great community, very tidy and well-maintained. 

Trying to get through to the DayZ forum that the standalone is a alpha and not a finished product is proving an impossible task. 

So DayZ has reached the 850k sales mark but the beta wont be close to completion until 2015. As long as the game evolves significantly over the next 12 months it won't be a concern but it's disappointing to see them lagging behind their initial projections. Time to invest some of their gains I think..

I know, it's shocking in this day and age that people can be so effing stupid.

It's not that difficult to read, digest and find things out.... but it seems too much trouble for some.

And don't get me started on the entitlement thing. People in the world starving and spoilt bastards whining about a game..sickening.

We're lucky though, we got Dave :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

So the beta won't be released until 2015 ? And the final version after that?  I'm looking forward to playing it but I can't wait that long and just watch frankie's videos in the meantime. It will be cool for them to keep adding features to make it more realistic. There definitely needs to be zombie hordes from time to time though as the zombies don't seem that hard to deal with

Keep calm and question nothing.

Thanks for the vid jordie! An interesting look at one of today's most controversial aspects of gaming. I think TotalBuscuit is spot on in what is a very fair and balanced overview of this publication strategy.

I think Steam have been far too generous towards developers for this method of 'backdoor' publishing. Far too many titles are overpriced, unfit for purpose and demonstrate no clear forwarding strategy in terms of future development. As mentioned in the vid; it has made the store look exceptionally poor with major titles being swarmed to the back pages. I think they need to create an entirely separate store for these games and developers along with Valve need to provide more transparency as to where the game stands present and going forward. 

The one good thing about early access is gamers have a choice as to whether they purchase. Some projects seem credible and tempting but there is always that fear of the developer 'taking the money and running'.