Mod or Pre-Alpha?

J4MES OX4D

I do love the mod but you need Arma 2  and operation arrowhead. I think combined ops has them both and it's quite cheap now.

Due to crappy evening time internet recently I've only played about 4 hours of the standalone but I like it a lot and hope to get some playing time this weekend.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Hi, my name is Dylan still play the mod mostly but that because the bugs just piss me of because it some stupid thing that even i could fix like coz u cant open or close doors because that menu has not been activated the choice is the but u cant use it that just bugs me

Hi, my name is Dylan still play the mod mostly but that because the bugs just piss me of because it some stupid thing that even i could fix like coz u cant open or close doors because that menu has not been activated the choice is the but u cant use it that just bugs me

My guess is it's too late at night for this young man to make sense, or at least a lil bit more sense than this.

I haven't played the Standalone myself, but I browse the forums a fair bit and based on that my recommendation would be to get Combined Operations and play the mod for a bit whilst the SA evolves a bit more. As Dylan says, buildings are currently very restricted, there are no vehicles, you can fall randomly unconscious, etc etc. It's just not anywhere near a polished product at the moment. 

I spend an hour or so playing the mod recently, after a hiatus of about 6 months and it's progressed in leaps and bounds. Last time I played it it was a bit of a mess but excusable. Now it's almost feeling like a well rounded and developed game. Of course it's not perfect, but it's probably much more enjoyable than the SA at the moment. 

Given that Combined Operations is only 8.49 on Steam, I'd go for that.

banlol.png

I haven't played the Standalone myself, but I browse the forums a fair bit and based on that my recommendation would be to get Combined Operations and play the mod for a bit whilst the SA evolves a bit more. As Dylan says, buildings are currently very restricted, there are no vehicles, you can fall randomly unconscious, etc etc. It's just not anywhere near a polished product at the moment. 

I spend an hour or so playing the mod recently, after a hiatus of about 6 months and it's progressed in leaps and bounds. Last time I played it it was a bit of a mess but excusable. Now it's almost feeling like a well rounded and developed game. Of course it's not perfect, but it's probably much more enjoyable than the SA at the moment. 

Given that Combined Operations is only 8.49 on Steam, I'd go for that.

The Mod is its best right now, Razor and the other mods have put a lot of effort into making it playable.... and I haven't come across a scripter/hacker for at least 6 months :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Has anyone got any hints and tips to help me get started? Even a decent YouTube video or something would be much appreciated!

Thanks all

I'd highly recommend FrankieOnPC's DayZ videos. Not only will you learn stuff but he makes the videos as if he is telling a story.

Cheers Jordie! DayZ has felt like a bit of a hiking simulator so far but now I am getting more in tune with the basics, it's becoming really intriguing.

A couple of quickies: If you leave a server, does your gear get retained if you join another and if you die, do you lose everything?

Cheers! 

Cheers Jordie! DayZ has felt like a bit of a hiking simulator so far but now I am getting more in tune with the basics, it's becoming really intriguing.

A couple of quickies: If you leave a server, does your gear get retained if you join another and if you die, do you lose everything?

Cheers! 

If you die, that's it. Time to start over. And yeah you can switch servers and keep gear as far as I'm aware of.

I assume that this will be like Arma 3, the Beta will be £30 and the full game £40?

If you buy the alpha now at £20 on Steam; I think that entitles you to the full game. If you have a dedicated interest in the game, it may be a good investment to get it now while it's cheap(ish) as the full game may retail at a typical £35-40 mark. 

Problem is, once the beta is out, so is The Division so I can partly see why they are cashing now but if you do get it in alpha state; I don't think you have to pay for anything ever again related to the game.

I'm so tempted to buy this now. Thing is, I can't really afford it so I'd have to put it on a credit card. I don't do credit cards :/

Have you tried The Money Shop or Wonga?  It's pretty good; all you do is borrow £20 and you can pay it off during the year.  I think the total to be paid will be something like £27,328.66p but at least you'll have DayZ for Christmas :lol:

I'd stick to the mod for the time being and if you have a bit of dosh floating around after new year, it's worth a punt even in this state.  You're not missing out on too much at present though