Destiny 2 Expectations - Give it time

GazzaGarratt

Maybe its just me but I feel there's a little nervousness lingering around avid Destiny gamers as the D2 beta looms.

I'm just gonna put this out here that we all collectively as gamers need to give the game some time to bed in.

Based on the info over the last few days and even previous to that, it is pretty certain their main issue they have tackled is the story. This probably means I'm only this at Didds ;) - Don't say its shit because its only major overhaul is the story and you can't be arsed with cinematics and a story you don't want to bother to learn.

Having a story means that what you do on Destiny will now make sense and have a purpose, rather than aimlessly doing random stuff and not really getting it.

They will make multiple tweaks to different mechanics but we have to be realistic - a 10 year game won't have 10 year's worth of content straight away. You know though the blueprint of Destiny will have shit loads to do.

Tldr - Give the game time, it'll turn out alright. Believe.

Forum Signature Test.png

If they don't learn from their mistakes that they did in Destiny One, or it takes them a year to deliver a game that's more than half complete, fuck them. I will always give a developer the benefit of the doubt however if they believe they can just Call of Duty this thing and pray their faithful fan base blindly eats it up, nah.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I think the main problem will be that the original Destiny, to me, was a big leap in gaming quality that others have tried to emulate, and I am concerned that the fans will be expecting another big leap that may not happen

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

8 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I think the main problem will be that the original Destiny, to me, was a big leap in gaming quality that others have tried to emulate, and I am concerned that the fans will be expecting another big leap that may not happen

That's the point. We all know already it won't be a big leap so everyone is worried that the game won't match expectations.

The point here is not to compare with D1 like that but I get that is extremely hard not to.

Overall D1 was an amazing success. That's why we want it to be even more amazing. We will get our money's worth. I just hope the game mechanics have been refined rather than overhauled as we all can easily forget we might've had our gripes with D1 but we all have never said its a shit game. If its the more of the same with added bonuses then I'm game.

Forum Signature Test.png

1 hour ago, Baabcat said:

The problem is we will all be comparing D1 year 3 to D2 year 1. So much has changed, so much has been added (or responded !) that it's not a good comparison. 

Im just hoping they keep the good stuff and learn from the mistakes of D1 year 1.

Its actually a totally valid comparison.

Its not like these games were developed by different studios.

All of the lessons that Bungie learned in D1 are still valid in D2.

This is exactly like sports, if you have a winning lineup of players, and the coaching staff comes in during the off season and fires them all, and drafts new players. Then we as fans have a right to do comparisons and be concerned. The coaching staff knows what worked previously, and what the fans want to see, now whether or not they choose to go in a different direction is up for debate by us the fans. But this is totally a far, apples to apples comparison.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I think we can compare but it's the way we compare is the issue for me. Don't be unrealistic and set ridiculous expectations. We all want the best but nothing is perfect.

For me it will be based on how good the launch is but more importantly coupled with how they react in the first month to what may need to be tweaked and balanced out.

A grinding game takes some time to formulate your overall impression.

Forum Signature Test.png

7 hours ago, Baabcat said:

It's not a fair comparison from a content point of view was my point.

Okay, thats cool and all, but what is "content"?

Is it the story/ grimoire?

Is it the guns/ weapons?

The Classes?

The ships, sparrows, shaders, or emblems?

Back to the sports team analogy, are we not able to compare the shoes they wear? The balls they use? the jersey or logo scheme?

I'm not picking on your here, I just flat out disagree, and wanted to try to understand your point of view a little better

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

52 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Okay, thats cool and all, but what is "content"?

Is it the story/ grimoire?

Is it the guns/ weapons?

The Classes?

The ships, sparrows, shaders, or emblems?

Back to the sports team analogy, are we not able to compare the shoes they wear? The balls they use? the jersey or logo scheme?

I'm not picking on your here, I just flat out disagree, and wanted to try to understand your point of view a little better

I'm going to agree with Bart on this one.

We totally can compare these titles. Bungie has essentially had 2 years to polish Destiny, if there are features that were in one that were beneficial or made since which are left out of the second, lets say they take out some side stuff to make the game play on rails (more linear) then they deserve all the criticism. You don't want to go backwards as a company. If Destiny 2 has one - two months of content and you're sitting on your hands until the next DLC, then they have not learned their lesson. You can be rational and critical at the same time. 

There's no reason to not continue to build your game. 

The PVP base for example, private lobbies are not going to be in D2, how does that make sense to piss off a third of their base right off the bat.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I never said take out the good stuff ( think I said the exact opposite) , but there will be less content than there is now. What I mean by content is stuff to do so 

there won't be 4 raids

grimoire has gone

no trails ( at least from the off)

no PoE (like who cares but still won't be there)

hopefully there will be a archons forge type activity but I wouldn't bet on it

All of which I m fine with, but all I was saying was D1year 3 has a lot more in it than D2 year 1 will. Don't see how that was so contentious 

Okay, so you are defining content as Raids, Trials, PoE, and stuff like that.

That makes sense

Its also like a third to a half of the game, but I don't see anyone comparing those yet. I see folks focusing on weapons and classes

As someone who is heavily relying on you previous destiny players as a reference on whether to buy this so I can play with you guys, if I hear reports that it's not enjoyable then it will severely put me off buying it. 

There is going to be a massive weight of expectation on the developers to take everything that people enjoyed in the first one and then amplify it. Failure to do that could really hurt their customer base going forward. 

APmVvKG.gif

As someone who is heavily relying on you previous destiny players as a reference on whether to buy this so I can play with you guys, if I hear reports that it's not enjoyable then it will severely put me off buying it. 

There is going to be a massive weight of expectation on the developers to take everything that people enjoyed in the first one and then amplify it. Failure to do that could really hurt their customer base going forward. 

I'm a Density noob too so I'm avoiding reading this thread. Wanna find out for myself what it's like without too many preconceptions or expectations.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

27 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I'm a Density noob too so I'm avoiding reading this thread. Wanna find out for myself what it's like without too many preconceptions or expectations.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Trust me, because both of you haven't played Destiny before you literally won't have a problem. This game will be an even bigger success for you guys.

Imo the game will be at least the base game of D1 plus extras. You will not have anything to worry about. This game really will be a great game and I can't see the player base going anywhere.

Forum Signature Test.png