6 years smoke free today

Drifter

Today is a special day for me. Today marks exactly 6 years since the day I finally decided to become a non smoker. At the time I was smoking over a pack a day and tried everything I could find to quite but nothing worked long term for me. Then finally 6 years ago I just got up one morning and simply decided I was tired of slowly killing myself, so I tossed out what I had on me and have not touched a single cigarette since that day. One of the very best decisions I ever made in my life by far.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job! I've been smoke free since December 22nd which is 4 months and it has felt so good since stopping. I never thought I'd ever be able to quit as I was so dependent on them but I just managed to find the willpower and that alone worked a treat. Not only am I saving £20 a week instead of getting 2x25g of Golden Virginia; just being able to breathe better and not having clothes stinking of tobacco has made such a difference and I feel all the cleaner for it. First week was very difficult to overcome but since then I've had zero cravings and don't think I'll ever smoke again!

I did loosely explore the idea of gums and patches but I couldn't be arsed to drag myself to the doctors and after looking at how ridiculously complex the vape concept is; I thought stuff it and quit. I went down from about 15 roll ups a day to three for starters which was one at 9am, one around 3pm and one in the late evening. A decent cut back like that made a small difference and after feeling my breathing improve just by doing that; that was enough motivation to knock it on the head for good. 

Good for you James keep on with it and you will be amazed just how much better everything gets as you get further and further into being smoke free. Around the 6-8 month mark you will really start to notice a huge difference in how much more energy and stamina for active things you have now. Since you're 4 moths into it you probably already are noticing but I know my first year smoke free it was unreal just how much better I was able to sleep at night as well. No coughing while trying to sleep and not waking up at odd hours to go have a smoke. Stick with it man it will only keep getting better for you.

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

Good for you James keep on with it and you will be amazed just how much better everything gets as you get further and further into being smoke free. Around the 6-8 month mark you will really start to notice a huge difference in how much more energy and stamina for active things you have now. Since you're 4 moths into it you probably already are noticing but I know my first year smoke free it was unreal just how much better I was able to sleep at night as well. No coughing while trying to sleep and not waking up at odd hours to go have a smoke. Stick with it man it will only keep getting better for you.

Many thanks! Yep, it feels like my body is gradually mending itself in time and I can't wait to get back to playing some tennis, badminton and even going for a run. I was actually pretty shocked at unfit I became and how easy I would become breathless which was a sign not only I was smoking too much but enough was enough. I also don't miss going outside for a smoke in the freezing cold either! 

That's ace Steve! It's great to hear it's made such a difference to your life. Has it made a difference in your pocket?

@J4MES OX4D that's awesome to hear too mate! Getting back into sports can make a really health difference. Love Badminton, such a great game and will do loads for all kinds of muscles you didn't know you had!

Forum Signature Test.png

It's made a HUGE different in my pocket. I use to smoke Newport, pack a day. They are $7 a pack so that's a just over $15,000 I've saved since quitting. Probably would not have all my nice fish tanks and new fishing gear and such if I was still burning up my cash in smoke.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

that's awesome to hear too mate! Getting back into sports can make a really health difference. Love Badminton, such a great game and will do loads for all kinds of muscles you didn't know you had!

Cheers man! Cannot wait to get back into it and used to love playing sports when I was younger but then I discovered things called pubs and that's when my lifestyle changed:lol: 

I must warn prosepective quitters thought that I had a new addiction after stopping smoking which consisted of 9 packets of Wotsits crisps every day for a month - thankfully quit those too but only because I was sick of the sight of them and nearly throwing up on a daily basisB)

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

It's made a HUGE different in my pocket. I use to smoke Newport, pack a day. They are $7 a pack so that's a just over $15,000 I've saved since quitting. Probably would not have all my nice fish tanks and new fishing gear and such if I was still burning up my cash in smoke.

Great stuff! I'm saving about £80 a month so far but I remember when I was on packs of 20 a day which was about £200 a month not so long ago and when I see some of the prices cigerrettes are going for now; it's disgusting. When I started smoking; you could get a decent pack of 20 for £4.50 but now my old brand costs over £10 which would be setting me back £300 a month if I was still smoking and on cigs instead. I dread to think how much I've spent in the past but what's important is what I can save going forward.