Prey

GazzaGarratt

Bethesda isn’t afraid to make you afraid.

The publisher launched the first gameplay trailer for its sci-fi action adventure Prey today, and it gives a look at some guns, some exploration, and some space monsters. The game is due out in 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. You can see it all in action below:

Prey Gameplay Trailer

Another slick title from Bethesda it seems.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

This doesn't have anything to do with the original Prey by the way. They had to deviate away from the first game because of what they were trying to achieve with this one....yeah right, the first was complete utter balls so calling it Prey 2 would've put quite a few off I'm sure.

Snippet of gameplay and a nice slick transformation technique we don't see in many other games. Jury is still out on this one though, Bethesda better work hard to get the final package on AAA standard.

Prey Gameplay

The first hour has been available to play on the ps4 for a little while now. Has anyone downloaded it and give it a go? It looks intriguing but not enough for me to invest time in it right now.

I'm a big fan of Bethesda and Arkane who made the excellent Dishonored 2 but I'm not 100% sold on this yet for some reason so I'm gonna sit back and wait for the reviews to come in first. I've seen a lot of gameplay but still can't decide if it's a really intriguing title or an underwhelming shooter. Love some of the gadgets and the atmosphere but the enemies and enviorments look a bit bland and repetitive. I'm eager for something to the tune of Bioshock and I hope this is it though. 

Trying at all costs to avoid this game. I have too many to play and this would jump to the head of the queue without a doubt.

I'm enjoying my new ability to 'not' buy games on release. Ok I did get Battlegrounds but that's different and I will still occasionally back an early access game if I like the developer.

When I get to Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 - for example - it'll be much cheaper to buy. Same goes for Prey on PC.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Trying at all costs to avoid this game. I have too many to play and this would jump to the head of the queue without a doubt.

I'm enjoying my new ability to 'not' buy games on release. Ok I did get Battlegrounds but that's different and I will still occasionally back an early access game if I like the developer.

When I get to Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 - for example - it'll be much cheaper to buy. Same goes for Prey on PC.

Not sure i'll ever get this unless it's in the bargain basement. Don't want to knock this but for a single player game it has to go along way to get my attention, especially when we've been graced with HZD, Zelda and Witcher 3. I haven't even played Witcher yet so that must come before this.

Its finally hit UK Number 1 knocking Mario Kart off the top. It's Bethesda's first number 1 since Fallout 4.

There isn't many games out at the moment so it only swings my head a little. It just goes to show though after a god damn awful game called Prey years ago, they can recover somewhat to achieve some significant goals.

On a separate note the thought of that initial game just makes me want to be sick.

6 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I've had a little go of the demo on PS4, reminds me of Half Life

I've seen so many comparisons to Half Life, System Shock and Deus Ex and how it plays like a classic PC FPS/RPG game. I really need to get this game as it sounds right up my street!

I've seen so many comparisons to Half Life, System Shock and Deus Ex and how it plays like a classic PC FPS/RPG game. I really need to get this game as it sounds right up my street!

I've heard comparisons to Bioshock too which is no bad thing :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Played about 7 hours of Prey so far and it's absolutely fantastic! The comparisons to the likes fo System Shock 2 and Bioshock are spot on and if you like Dishonored or Bethesda games in general; this is an excellent experience. 

I think they've done an incredible job overall with the slick interface and design of the space station. The game just flows superbly and it feels extremely well polished. The pacing is very good and you'll find yourself backpeddling and searching every nook and cranny. You can complete objectives and get into restricted areas multiple ways so it's very non-linear also.

The crafting system is pretty cool too as you can collect all types of scrap crap, recycle them into raw materials and then create things like ammo and medkits. It's actually a pretty fun way of doing things and with items such as ammo rather sparse; it's crucial that you craft carefully.  You also have a skills tree along with suit upgrades but even both these cliche-ridden features are implemented well and lead to tough decisions being made on what can benefit you more at that time and going forward - I had a tough choice yesterday between upgrading my strength so I could get past a blocked door or by unlocking a repair upgrade where I could get into a new area. Chances are I will unlock the repair one in due course and then come back but I don't know at this time whether it was the right decision but that's the beauty of these tough choices. 

The enemies aren't very varied but the ones that are there are brutually hard which is great. One hit can hit your health and with ammo limited as well as being based on crafting as well as medkits; you can't be wasteful or afford to be sloppy in combat. The mimics which are reminicent of the Half Life facecrabs are simply ingenious and one of the most unique I've seen in gaming. You walk into a room and suddenly a coffee cup spawns into an alien and scares the crap out of you! I was even getting chased around the room by a crumpled bit of paper which was hilarious and tense. In another instance, I went into a section and out of the corner of my eye I thought saw a bin move a fraction and thought nothing of it. I searched around and just as I was leaving the bin started wobbling and then fell over and rolled towards my feet. Before I could say WTF, I had a mimic in my face! Just brilliant stuff.

There is a couple of disappointing things so far though; the story whilst intriguing at first, is fairly underwhelming and is at times a bit unclear. There are lots of characters mentioned and lore dotted around but some of it is poorly written and forgettable. Apart from a few key people; lots of names and faces are just generic filler. The weapons are also decent but even upgrading them is just statistical rather than any visual or feel to their strengthening. The Gloo gun is epic though and its the best thing since the Portal gun for sure!

Overall; this is an amazing game that has all the hallmarks of classics in the genre. The design is fantastic and it feels absolutely slick. Apart from the mediocre narrative, the game fees like something out of the 90's brought into the future. I think they've done an amazing job on it and I highly recommend. 

4 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Watched some gameplay but this is not my cup of tea. Looked great visually though.

Isn't worth trying the free demo if its on there still? No harm done then.

Yep the demo is still available and it's worth checking out. I'll pick up the full game at some point, no time right now though as I'm still ploughing through ME: A

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

42 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Probably, but zombies creeps me out!

And from what a mate at work has described from him playing it's a type of game that doesn't get my juices flowing.

Demo is defo worth trying as it's one of these games that is amazing to experience playing rather than watching. 

I saw countless gameplay videos prior to release and felt very underwhelmed by what I saw but having played the game; it's a completely different experience that has surprised me with its quality. 

Definitely not for everyone but certainly worth a look especially as watching gameplay footage doesn't really do it justice.