Nolan North is officially the voice of our ghost, No ascension for year one legendaries and the new level cap is 40!

The3rdWalker

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy/Paste Source 1

Our recent visit to Bungie provided us with hours of hands-on impressions detailed in this month’s magazine cover story, and one of the major changes we learned about is a new approach to leveling. Players earn XP by killing monsters, completing missions, and turning in bounties, as has always been the case, but that experience now feeds directly into your level progression all the way from 1 to the new level cap of 40.

Meanwhile, weapons and armor continue to provide increased power to your character, with new gear unlocking for use as you level up. “The conflation of gear and character level led to this place where your identity was determined by things outside of your control,” says creative director Luke Smith. “We don’t want to do that.”

We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained. 

Copy/Paste Source 2

' class="bbc_url">@

The NorthGhost, Leveling revamp and the previously-announced Questification of content will apply to all of Destiny in the 2.0 update

— Luke Smith (@thislukesmith) https://twitter.com/thislukesmith/status/628607635495890944

Copy/Paste Source 3

Our recent visit to Bungie headquarters confirmed what many fans have suspected for some time. Older legendary armor and weapons from across Destiny’s first year are not set to progress in power as Year Two begins. Simultaneously, dozens of new weapons and armor pieces are entering the game in an effort to revitalize the collection and discovery experience of the game.

Based on our time with the game, strong Year-One gear will serve players well for the opening hours of The Taken King, but new weaponry and armor will rapidly replace older items, both because of interesting new perks, but also for increased attack or defense values. The change also resets the gear progression flow through new Taken King-tier white, green, blue, and purple gear, providing meaningful distinctions between new items as you level up through the new content.

While Destiny has never strictly been considered an MMO, this approach for Year-Two gear echoes common practice in the MMO genre, including games like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV. Even so, it remains to be seen if fans are open to experimenting with the new arsenal if it means leaving old favorites behind.

“I definitely feel like some of our players are ready to play with some new toys,” says creative director Luke Smith. “And we’ve built a whole bunch of new toys. There are definitely some weapons that you are going to find better versions of – there’s going to be something that replaces that sniper rifle that you love.” 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

So, farming anything right now seems kind of pointless. I would like to hit Skolas at some point, but after really reading this, I don't see a reason to other than to get the last year one achievement.

IDK

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

So, farming anything right now seems kind of pointless. I would like to hit Skolas at some point, but after really reading this, I don't see a reason to other than to get the last year one achievement.

IDK

I think the year one achievement is still kind of important, I would try and get it if I were in your shoes. Also thanks a bunch for quoting the parts of the article, I have no idea why I didn't think to do that :(

Cozmo (community manager also) said don't be too hasty when dismantling legendaries, there may be news coming.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

EDIT: No worries on the Copy/ Pasta, its a pet peeve of mine, so whenever I see links, I always just grab them and repost. You don't have to do it.

--------------------

I really want to know to what level are they rethinking the items moving forward.

It is perfectly normal for someone to dump all over there old gear with better gear in an expansion. Destiny wasn't following that method though. So moving to it could be good, but could also be a HUGE PITA for most players not used to it.

Not sure if that makes sense.

Basically, there is a chance that the Whites and Greens in Taken King will be better than our current Purples and Yellows.

Nutshell - Dave, don't worry about getting JellyHorn

IDK

My thoughts exactly,seems pointless to play at the moment as I really don't care about the year one achievement thing unless I happen to be on to make a team.

The etheric light I've been farming at this point seems insignificant as well.

Awaiting more confirmation of wtf is going on.

Surely exotics have to go through the game with you?

My thoughts exactly,seems pointless to play at the moment as I really don't care about the year one achievement thing unless I happen to be on to make a team.

We can try to get something going this weekend if you want? Having never done the fight, I know we will need some time

This is the main problem with Destiny in my opinion. They don't know where they want to go. No plan. They want you to use all the weapons and have stories to go along with them but continuously try to undermine your favorite weapons and armor.

At this rate, it seems every year your weapons will be replaced. There are no trophies as there isn't enough space.

My other problem with Destiny, funny being compared to final fantasy or world of warcraft, there just isn't enough variety and creativity any more. When Destiny first dropped, those exotic weapons and legendary weapons were amazing. You have your ghallajhorn with the wolf pack rounds, ice breaker with regeneration, invective, and a lot more notable weapons.

The dark below dropped and all the vendor legendary weapons were released. Most of those weapons were not as great as their previous version. They weren't bad,but it looked like they just copied the same guns over with different attack and perks.

However the dark below had some pretty good weapons and armor. A lot of crotas end weapons were amazing. They were a step lower than vog, but they where still awesome. Most notable was the black hammer of course.

The house of wolves dropped, and you get the amazing perk of more damage to shanks. Smh "_"

I wonder what he means by new perks. Is it more damage to shanks?

So to me it sounds like the beta is over.

Didn't think of it like that, but now you said it, that's exactly what it is.

For all their faults and bullshit, i applaud the fact that if they are not happy with how shit is working they will change it up. The levelling system as an example is a big deal. They didn't want people levelling up due to (basically) luck of the draw. It should be time served and accomplishment (xp) based.

Whether people think they are right or wrong in what they do, you cannot deny that they are at least trying to improve the game and aren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers for the sake of progress

TTK is looking more interesting the more i hear about it. I want to know more about the Drednaught though. That shit sounds like a real game changer if done right

None elemental primaries are junk.  All the time that goes into making these weapons is time wasted in my opinion.  Green and blue new weapons for the last round of dlc? who were they aimed at?

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

I am curious here, how many of you guys have ever played an MMO like WoW, EQ, DAoC, or Guild Wars before?

EDIT:

So I just watched the video and something that I think is pretty big was said.

You can pick ONE faction now, no more wearing faction items.

Now this was incredibly vague, have any of you all seen an explanation out there on this?

I am curious here, how many of you guys have ever played an MMO like WoW, EQ, DAoC, or Guild Wars before?

EDIT:

So I just watched the video and something that I think is pretty big was said.

You can pick ONE faction now, no more wearing faction items.

Now this was incredibly vague, have any of you all seen an explanation out there on this?

Very briefly played WoW and played City of Villains for years. Both of which seemed to have a different take on end game practices.

WoW was all about the endgame and the phat loot. CoV was all about the journey and enjoying the ride. I'm not sure that Destiny fits into either of those categories. Not enough content to enjoy the ride and not enough content/uber level gear for top level toons.

Destiny needs to make it's mind up on what it wants to be and go for it. At the moment it's missing a bit of an identity

It appears that Bungie is working with Activision on making Destiny. That being said, whenever a WoW Expansion came out, ALL of your current gear was dead. Do quests get green upgrades, Shard out your old purples, rinse repeat.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, or that we all need to come to accept it. It just happens to be the "New Carrot" to keep folks playing. (New to the expansion, not new to the genre)

COH/V was a much different game. Super heroes are all about the journey, I think thats why it was so successful and popular (I still have no idea why they killed it off, that game was vastly more popular than anything else that studio has done)

So all this being said, I think folks need to prepare themselves mentally for this to be the new norm in Destiny.

I do wonder if we will all drop to level 20?

One thing I like the idea of XP levelling people already if its so bungie can sell the class items with the XP boost.

Also as we will not need allm the same end level gear we can choose stuff with the perks we want and therefore all sort of look different... All kit wankers on standby lol

DPJ also noticed weapons manufacturer gear.

I do wonder if we will all drop to level 20?

I was telling my wife about the changes, and she said the same exact thing.

I am okay with it, if they do it.

Biggest point of happiness for me, is I can get rid of the Hunter Armor shit in my vault for Faction. I am up to 80 from dismantling Knucklehead Radars.

You can't compare Destiny to wow. Loot wise, wow just had a ton more. Content, wow had a ton more.

I played ffxiv and ffxi, yes your gear was obsolete every few levels. Yes, the new expansion did render old loot useless. But getting new gear mean that when you went back to play old content you can notice a difference. A notorious monster that used to take a full party 20 mins to beat meant you can beat him in 10 minutes now.

Whereas Destiny, it's not like that at all. It used to take you 15 mins to finish level 28 archon priest. When you're level 40, you're still going to take 15. There is no power progression. The only thing it's useful for is beating new bosses.

To me it looks like more bullet sponge bosses. But now you won't have weapons like ice breaker or black hammer to fly through the content.

Although I must admit, the weapon and experience system does seem like a step in the right direction.

With xp leveling I'm wondering also how iron banner will work,players with masses of time will have a level advantage which will come into play in iron banner.

It may take 15 mins to beat archon still but you can smash through crota and the vault ;)

IMO, they're using the wrong carrot to entice play. I can't be arsed to play the same content over and over and over in the hopes of getting new gear. I'd much rather use the same beloved gear over and over while exploring new content. Gear in general is far too easy to get. The game I thought Destiny was going to be is something like this:

A gobsmackingly massive, always changing, cross-planet freely explorable world forms the basis. Something like Fallout on steroids. We as players would spend countless hours exploring the solar system, rooting out pockets of evil, finding long lest tech, meeting NPCs, discovering side missions, enemy fortresses etc. The world has dynamic weather, NPCs, and events which occasional and permanently alter some facet of the world. And every once in awhile, during the course of your adventures you'd find some amazing new piece of kit. Exceptional new gear would be few and far between and it would be unique, because only people who explored a certain area at a certain time would find it. Every Guardian would have samey powers, but completely unique armor and weapons that truly reflect their adventures, their legend.

Overall power should be tied to experience and skill, things under the player's control. Gear should serve to make each Guardian unique by offering special perks and bonuses, allowing each Guardian to carve out their own niche. Transitioning from one piece of gear to another should be a significant event in a guardian's career, not a daily occurrence. The vault never should have needed an increase, because gear should have never been so plentiful.

That's the game that I honestly thought I was getting based on Bungie's descriptions.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

I like the changes. I like the fact there is no more light level. It's going to be based an xp. Honestly I'm glad your old weapons will be shit. They need new shit to make us go after. I want new weapons. I honestly think this will be the game we were expecting. Will I miss my favorite guns,sure. But it will be nice going for new stuff also. You will be able to upgrade exotics from what I've seen. Just not legendary wrapons.