Steam selling game mods now

Sennex

Link to Skyrim:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850&searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems&requiredflags%5B0%5D=paiditems&browsefilter=trend&p=1

4chan is right... my god

This is OBSCENELY RETARDED.

WHAT IF THE MOD UPDATES AND BECOMES INCOMPATIBLE WITH MY SHIT WHAT IF THE GAME UPDATES AND BECOMES

INCOMPATIBLE WHAT IF THE MOD TURNS OUT TO BE NOT WHAT I EXPECTED BUYING MODS WOULD BE ALMOST AKIN TO GAMBLING. YOU'D BE TAKING AN IMMENSE LEAP OF FAITH JUST TO GET FUTA COCKS IN YOUR GAME

THE MODDER IS UNDER ---NO--- OBLIGATION TO FIX HIS SHIT OR MAKING COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR OTHER MODS.

RE TAR DE

Me personally, I have just over 25 Fallout 3 mods, for Skyrim I have just over 150 mods (not joking). The mods are what have kept me playing both games for so many years. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand upon this:

BJP4c33.png

It gets better. Mods are mot copyrighted.

Anyone can post a mod to Steam, they are not "vetted"

Nothing is stopping anyone from downloading the entirety of the Nexus Mods list, and then uploading them to Steam to make a quick buck or two.

The Mod author, can't really stop you, no copyright.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

What a fucking stupid move. Steam used to be brilliant, but ever since the greenlight and pre-release they've lost a lot of credibility. This is only another step in the very wrong direction.

I'll never, ever pay for a mod on Steam. I'll always try and support the devs but there's no a fucking chance in hell that Gabe's getting a penny for them.

banlol.png

Disgraceful move. I was shocked when I read about this yesterday. I didn't see this coming whatsoever but it seems Steam have been plotting this under the table for some time. Modding is one of the most important and thriving community assets to the industry and now Steam are monetizing it; not only will they take a line share but it could really kill off the concept as a whole. Some modders may use this as an opportunity to milk people just like the AAA industry does these days and other users may jump on the cash bandwagon and try and sell outlandish tat for extortionate rates. 

Reputable modders usually take donations and that's it and I'm more than happy to give money to projects that have been made with care, skill and passion. I don't want a substantial cut going to Steam after mods are made payable. I just hope that modders use sites like Moddb to not only keep the site alive but to keep modding healthy and steer well clear of Steam. Donations, praise and free content is what keeps modding alive and Steam have all but killed it in one fell swoop. 

The shit that's been flying over this will take a while to settle down. There's even been talk of a collaboration to make a new game launcher to use instead of Steam.

The 'suddenly everyone likes EA/Origin' because "at least they have better customer service that steam" did raise my eyebrows a little though :rolleyes:

Gabe didn't think this one through at all, and the execution was shoddy. Hope the lesson is learned but I think they'll just come at it from a different angle further down the line. Time will tell.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The 'suddenly everyone likes EA/Origin' because "at least they have better customer service that steam" did raise my eyebrows a little though :rolleyes:

Oh and there was also ''that's it, I'm boycotting Steam forever now''.............whilst the person is still playing DOTA2 or CSGO 10 hours a day :lol:

Oh and there was also ''that's it, I'm boycotting Steam forever now''.............whilst the person is still playing DOTA2 or CSGO 10 hours a day :lol:

I saw screenshots of that yesterday, I was cracking up.

Sadly, Steam is damn near impossible to get around. I've been looking for a few days now, as I don't like monopolies; which is funny because I just realized that Valve had one going for this sort of thing. Hopefully GOG Galaxy will get some traction. Also EA/ Origin has really improved their customer service over the last few months. UPlay still sucks though. Trion Worlds had some sort of installer/ manager, as does Battle Net. 

Bethesda's dev blog talks about their turning back the decision. They basically state that this was done to benefit the community. //facepalm.jpg

Origin does have great customer service. I downloaded mass effect 3 and wanted to play online. I bought coins to get the random chest for multiplayer, my game crashed. It shows I didn't have any, so I closed the game and got some from the origin program. I looked and both orders went through. I contacted customer support, they refunded one of the purchases and let me keep the coins.

As for mods, that's a dick move. I will donate to people who create mod but don't force me to buy. What if the mod is total crap? What happens when the game gets updated and the mod is outdated?