Evolve - biggest flop ever?

J4MES OX4D

I was initially interested in this game after the developers success with Left 4 Dead. Unfortunately it seems the game has turned in 2015's Titanfall which is just-deserts for publishers 2K who preceded to attempt what I would describe is being the biggest cash-grab of any game I have ever witnessed.

This game was released in February and after just 28 days, the game lost 80% of its player base on PC and according to sources; the game is collapsing daily as the player counts dwindle into four-figures on all systems combined. The game is pretty shit in its own right and deeply starved of content but for £50; I just find the price arrogant on another level. 2K's ignorance towards the community and cockiness in their laughable DLC structure has seen them pay the ultimate price in sheer embarrassment.  

For £50, you get fuck all. Considering this game has been in development for 40-odd months; it's shamefully and deliberately starved of material . The day one DLC totals around £70 on top of the £50 full price and although it's mostly non-essential cosmetic material; it should have been included in the main game without fail. Who the fuck would pay £3.99 to turn their gun blue? 2K also said that no material was withheld but suddenly just 6 weeks after release; 3 more monsters have miraculously appeared as DLC totaling a whopping £6.49 each and another one for £13.49 - so in 40 months; Turtle Rock could only produce 1 monster but in just 40 days they could make 3!? Do 2K really think we're that stupid? 2K's response to people who don't wish to pay £25 for the additional monsters:- ''buy the season pass for £20 instead''. It's almost laughable beyond delusional; their game is falling apart by the hour and yet they still think their business structure with this game is acceptable. I think everything about this game opitimises everything wrong with the AAA industry today and this is a prime example of a product that is borderline despicable. 

I'm kinda glad to see this game drifting into stale mediocrity and I feel sorry for people who wasted their money on this pitiful excuse of a game. The developers have produced a dismal title by their standards but the publishers should shoulder all responsibility for their sheer arrogant and insulting execution of the pricing and business as a whole. I just hope this failure doesn't rub off on the brands that are powerful and established - the AAA market is already bad enough as it is but you can see companies going down this route with their strong IP's and having the consumer by the balls extorting money for measly content. 

Evolve is a F2P title with a full price tag that can cost up to £140 to 'finish'. Disgraceful. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such a shame to see such a trend in what is supposed to be the future gaming. It's funny that a lot of people were saying evolve was supposed to out destiny out of business.

It seems they have all taken the call of Duty approach. You take a big game, break off some parts to sell as future dlc, begin working on next project. That's why I stopped playing call of Duty.