Iron Banner tips

Baabcat

Just thought I'd share some tips on Iron Banner, mainly from mistakes I have made in the past

Week long event, start at level 0, armour at levels 3 and 4, which is what I'm mainly interested in

Work out what you want, this time round gauntlets are at level 3, boots at level 4

Items cost glimmer, not crucible marks. They aren't cheap, 9950, so be aware of this, as no point grinding IB and running out of time to get the glimmer you need

IB xp comes from wins, redeeming losing medallions, bounties and buffs.

Every medallion is worth 80% of a win and are redeemed on your next win, so losing isn't a disaster. However you can only carry 5 medallions so long losing sprees are not helpful, find another lobby!

The IB bounties from Lord Saladin vary between easy , ok and tough, make sure you do as many as possible each day, very valuable Xp

Buffs come in the form of class items, emblems, shards. Worth having as they all add 5% (to check, but about right) but they cost glimmer! quite a lot of it, so you got to weigh up how much glimmer you have as well.

The best Buff though is Tempering, which costs 1 mote of light for a 12 hour xp buff. The most important thing to remember here is the % buff increases as the week passes, by Sunday or Monday this a 100% buff! which makes progress really quick

Crucible bounties don't count but can be completed and crucible marks are earned, which is really helpful if you don't play a lot of crucible

5 map rotation, all control, heavy ammo for the win

It's a grind, but die to the buffs, not that much of a grind especially if you can play later in the week

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea Bob :)

A few things to add:

Make sure you have the tempered buff on. It's easy to forget as I did this morning. As Bob says, costs one mote from the vendor chap.

Don't be afraid to cap flags. Each cap is 75 points for your team per person. Don't watch others cap flags and think "cool, he's got it" because you not standing there with him is costing your team 75 points.

Heavy ammo:

Don't be that guy who just grabs it as soon as it spawns. Once that chest is open, it despawns after a few seconds so if possible, wait for a team mate or two to join you so that they also get some. Nothing fucks me off more than some twat grabbing the ammo for himself, especially when it's safe to wait a few seconds and it's obvious his team mates are on their way. DO NOT BE THAT GUY!!!!

If you are fortunate enough to have a Vex Mythoclast, use it. It's stupidly OP and the only gun which consistently kills me whilst I'm hosing someone in the face with an LMG.

Rockets are great but an LMG can net you 10+ kills if you're patient and good with it.

Blade dancers are invincible, don't bother.

Crucible is great fun but sadly the biggest let down is stupid team mates. A little consideration for your team is often the difference between winning and losing.

banlol.png

Yes it's light level 36 this time round so will help get your guardian to level 32

And even better than that it will be easier to upgrade as its normal upgrade stuff, not radiant shards, which makes it easier in my view

Not only that, but the boots don't have the extra heavy ammo perk which means you won't lose heavy upon death/orbit/cutscene.

Great idea Bob :)

Crucible is great fun but sadly the biggest let down is stupid team mates. A little consideration for your team is often the difference between winning and losing.

This is why I've been trying to get an FG group of us to do this regularly. It is sooo much fun and we can have 6 together so more chances to play like the raids we have.

Only thing on top of everyone else is flag points - go for 2 out of the 3 (on most maps). Its all about kills and the multiplyer you get...and the spawn points massively help on certain maps, so much so its fecking hard to flip the spawns after your stuck at the one crap flag.

Oh yeah, small point, but the armour looks better than the raid gear too (plus good perks).

Forum Signature Test.png

This is why I've been trying to get an FG group of us to do this regularly. It is sooo much fun and we can have 6 together so more chances to play like the raids we have.

If it was a longer event and worth my time I'd be up for doing it in a group would certainly make the grind easier.

I need an invincible blade dancer because mine certainly isn't.

As you can earn crucible marks if I'm on and free Im willing to help out, might get me interested in next time.

Is there a way to "pad" your Faction gains in the IB?

Like buy a ton of crap this time around, and then when it next happens, you just spam "Ether Seeds (Insert random item name here)" and you climb the faction rank faster?

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I think, not tested fully but pretty certain, that the only padding you can do is to use the emblem and shaders from previous IBs to get the buffs this time around

(Can you transfer emblems and shaders between characters via the vault? Need to try this due to worries about glimmer shortage)

It may be possible to keep completed bounties from IB to IB but not worth losing the bounty slots for that length of time IMO

I think, not tested fully but pretty certain, that the only padding you can do is to use the emblem and shaders from previous IBs to get the buffs this time around

(Can you transfer emblems and shaders between characters via the vault? Need to try this due to worries about glimmer shortage)

It may be possible to keep completed bounties from IB to IB but not worth losing the bounty slots for that length of time IMO

You can transfer normal game shaders and emblems, so I assume that you can do IB as well

Hell, you can buy non-class gear for an alt and then bank it. (I bought a Hunter set with my Warlock)

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Important little tip for maxing those bounties. Lord Saladin won't give you the same bounty again if you have already cashed it in once that day.

So, if you take the 10,000 Xp bounty on Friday, complete it, but hand it in on Saturday, then you won't be offered that same bounty again on Saturday, even though the bounties refresh. Get them done and handed in on the same day for max rep

Also I noticed yesterday the buff I have was already up to 50%, that's with tempering shader and emblem. 6 bounties with a face value of 600 got me 900 rep. Will try and report back on what today's buff is up to.

Nice Bob.

One I've mentioned a few times online but in case anyone missed it, is that you don't appear on the minimap if you're crouched. This is a great tip and simple astonishingly good for taking out those goddamn fucking camping morons that sit by doors.

Equip shotgun, crouch, approach door, they won't know you're coming, pop round the corner at the last second and blast their faces off. Teabag for added theatrics.

banlol.png

Nice Bob.

One I've mentioned a few times online but in case anyone missed it, is that you don't appear on the minimap if you're crouched. This is a great tip and simple astonishingly good for taking out those goddamn fucking camping morons that sit by doors.

Equip shotgun, crouch, approach door, they won't know you're coming, pop round the corner at the last second and blast their faces off. Teabag for added theatrics.

Your blip on the radar flashes, slowly, but it does. So don't be surprised if you still get killed this way. It doesn't completely remove you.

Ah, wasn't aware of that, cheers. Still, it's a great help as usually people who camp doors lack the mental capacity to suss out what's going on.

'Twas just a heads up. I had a guy who would complain everytime someone killed him and he was crouched. Didn't want any anguish to come from you guys.

Have you tried rebooting? I had a similar issue yesterday, flew to the tower and there was nothing there. No postman Pat, no Xander Bountyman, no Cryptarch, nothing. Place was empty. I rebooted my PS4 and voila, sorted.

banlol.png