Anyone here been to Spain?

Docwagon

A few years ago we'd saved up the money to go to Spain...then our furnace went out.  So, the Spain fund became the "new HVAC fund", and we started over.  Well, we have the money again and were going to go this October but learned that its the rainy season in Barcelona, so we're thinking of putting it off until next July.

Anyone here been to Spain?  The Barcelona area in particular?  Any input?

Not myself but i know a few people that have either lived there or frequent the area quite often.

All of them have fallen in love with the Catalan area. I can ask for a few must see sights and reccomendations if that'd help?

So long as you like good food and wine i think you can't go wrong with Spain. Just in case you didn't know the language they speak in that area is slightly different to the rest of Spain so may be worth brushing up on the slight differences

I've been to Barcelona, took my wife for her 40th. Great city. One of the best in Europe by reputation and we werent disappointed. We didn't stay right in the centre, but the metro was pretty good. Best time was just chilling by the marina eating tapas and drinking Estrella ( the local lager)

However thus was before the recession, and I think crime has got a lot worse in Spain recently, heard stories of tourists being targeted ( not in Barceloa, in spain generally)

I'd say go, but be careful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We're looking at a tourist apartment on the Med coast, and think we'll unlikely to get off the beaten path.  I know a guy who teaches knife fighting, I suppose I could brush up on that for a few months if the local laws allow a reasonable sized blade.

Stretch, any info is greatly appreciated.

We might be heading to Spain this summer for our family holiday. Supposedly good food and drink and the fact that we're football (not eggball) mad is a plus.

The crime (particularly pickpocketing in the subways) is supposed to be pretty bad, but then people usually avoid my dad like the plague when we're out anyway  :lol:

I'm sure you'll have a great time, especially if you haven't experienced anything outside the US before.

I've been to Barcelona and it's an incredible experience. I am a football fan so naturally I headed straight to the Nou Camp :lol: Stayed in the Madinas hotel which was close to the Metro system. It's a bit away from the beach area but not too far by tube. Lots of crime especially in the Las Ramblas area tho but beautiful nevertheless particularly in the sun. 

A few years ago we'd saved up the money to go to Spain...then our furnace went out.  So, the Spain fund became the "new HVAC fund", and we started over.  Well, we have the money again and were going to go this October but learned that its the rainy season in Barcelona, so we're thinking of putting it off until next July.

Anyone here been to Spain?  The Barcelona area in particular?  Any input?

I can probably be of help here. My partner/girlfriend/missus of 8 years is from Barcelona. She's been living with me in London for 6 years, I've been many times and I'll probably end up living there at some point.

Great weather, October will still be nice and you can expect 70-80 degrees. Rain is unlikely but the climate in general's up the spout lately so who knows..

Great food, seriously, these guys know how to cook, eat where the locals eat, you won't be disappointed. All cities have their shitty tourist traps but I've never had a bad meal there.

I can probably speak with Marina and ask for her advice on where to stay but the good thing is that its not a massive city, has a beach, a port, a little mountain with a castle/fort and you can get round really easily by metro, tram or foot.

Young people are pretty cool and they have a very family-orientated social culture, and are very proud of their culture and language, separate from spain. 

Give me a shout if you need any info :) Bona nit.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

BTW July is a great month to go. It will be damn hot but it will be zero% chance of rain (maybe the occasional electrical storm). 

We want to be able to enjoy the beach.

We're considering staying here:  http://www.expedia.com/Barcelona-Hotels-Lugaris-Sea-The-Home-Concept-Apartments.h4099112.Hotel-Information

Looks like a nice apartment complex, funnily enough my missus grew up just around the corner, literally. It's a good base, though a 30 minute ride on the train either side of the city and you'll find much better beaches. Be aware there are a lot of nudist beaches :huh:

By the time you get there I'm sure you'll weighed down with suggestions and tips, I suppose it depends on what else you like doing...personally the visits to Gaudi's Sagrada Familia don't really float my boat but let me know what you're looking for. Bringing kids?

For a trip to Europe you guys made a good choice in Barcelona. ;)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

McDonalds? In one of the world's most gastronomic locations. 

You should be shot. And then fed to McDonald's customers to complete the chain.

Mind you. I've been to McD's in Paris. Just wanted to know if the scene from Pulp Fiction was right. Not because I think Paris is over-rated and expensive, no not at all.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

McDonalds? In one of the world's most gastronomic locations. 

You should be shot. And then fed to McDonald's customers to complete the chain.

Mind you. I've been to McD's in Paris. Just wanted to know if the scene from Pulp Fiction was right. Not because I think Paris is over-rated and expensive, no not at all.

I only went there because I hear it's the only branch in Europe that doesn't spunk in your burger with 'homemade' mayonaise :lol:

Better how?

Natural beaches, better quality.... the beaches in the city were reclaimed from industrial wasteland when they were building for the Olympics.

You don't need to go far from where you are. North up the coast Mongat onwards you'll find nice beaches, south down the coast Vilanova onwards too. There's a cheap little train that goes along the coast and stops every 15 minutes or so.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

dude . . . go THIS july.  i'll be in Barcelona (which is apparently pronounced with a lisp?) at the end of the month.  you and the lady can come to my sister's wedding if you want, i'll just tell her we're friends from the internet.

oh and i know nothing about this place, or Spanish.  so, sorry.

I know a guy who teaches knife fighting

show-off.

dude . . . go THIS july.  i'll be in Barcelona (which is apparently pronounced with a lisp?) at the end of the month.  you and the lady can come to my sister's wedding if you want, i'll just tell her we're friends from the internet.

I just took 3 weeks off, it'll be a little while before I can take a big chunk of time off again.

I've been to Barcelona. It was the most incredible trip I've ever been on. The city is very safe, we were up till 5am every night walking around the city. It was our presidents club trip for work and they put us up in the Hotel Arts (Ritz Carlton) right on the beach. The beach is fantastic with plenty of bars and restaurants right on it.

If you go there, you absolutely have to rent a moped. Me and 4 other guys rented mopeds and spent an entire day driving around the city exploring. It's super easy to drive there. No crazy drivers....it's basically the same as driving around here and it's the same side of the road. And it's impossible to get lost because there are only a handful of buildings over 5 stories so you can always see where you are. Beach on one side ignore city, mountains on the other. You just hop on, and take turns leading the drive. Go wherever the hell you want and see everything

The food is fantastic, the wine is fantastic, and the people there don't hate Americans. We're planning on going back in the next year or so.

I've been to Barcelona. It was the most incredible trip I've ever been on. The city is very safe, we were up till 5am every night walking around the city. It was our presidents club trip for work and they put us up in the Hotel Arts (Ritz Carlton) right on the beach. The beach is fantastic with plenty of bars and restaurants right on it.

If you go there, you absolutely have to rent a moped. Me and 4 other guys rented mopeds and spent an entire day driving around the city exploring. It's super easy to drive there. No crazy drivers....it's basically the same as driving around here and it's the same side of the road. And it's impossible to get lost because there are only a handful of buildings over 5 stories so you can always see where you are. Beach on one side ignore city, mountains on the other. You just hop on, and take turns leading the drive. Go wherever the hell you want and see everything

The food is fantastic, the wine is fantastic, and the people there don't hate Americans. We're planning on going back in the next year or so.

I'll be in Barcelona in the latter half of August, possibly in July too if I get off my rear end and get my passport renewed.

If you're lucky you'll arrive there during one of the many summer festivals/fiestas, this is one of the most famous ones in the Gracia district of the city: http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-events-articles/217-festa-major-de-gracia

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

No thanks  ;)

Glad to hear you've booked it. Are you going to see Petra? Looks amazing.

I'm sure.  I've been there before, but my son has never seen it.  It is really cool.

I'll be in Barcelona in the latter half of August, possibly in July too if I get off my rear end and get my passport renewed.

If you're lucky you'll arrive there during one of the many summer festivals/fiestas, this is one of the most famous ones in the Gracia district of the city: http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-events-articles/217-festa-major-de-gracia

We're going in the fall to coincide with my son's Fall Break.