Dragons Dogma 2

Another promising game that's had a miserable launch which will sour it permanently. This time a disgusting amount of microtransactions along with aggressive Denuvo implementation and performance issues. Literally charging $2 just to edit your character! Never got the original despite it's cult success but it just defies belief how companies literally ruin their new game for the sake of greed. It's not like Capcom need the money either and it's a full price bloody game too!  

I was so close to buying this yesterday, but mam, between the micro-transaction bullshit, and the insane price they're asking for it, I just can't.  I think I'll wait for a sale or game pass release at this point.  Thankfully, I've been hearing some good things about it gameplay-wise.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

A friend of mine is playing this on the PS5 at the moment and not having the performance issues PC players are complaining of.

He seem's somewhat unbothered by the micro transactions too in that most of the things they are for are for things you could obtain in game if you spend the time playing rather than moaning about the game. So all the microtransactions are doing he say's is just allowing some people to play through the game quicker.

- There is an item that can be used to change appearance that you can buy, but he said it took him about 4 hours in game time to be at a point in the game where he could buy it.

- Rift crystals - These allow you to buy in pawns that are stronger than you, essentially making battles throughout the game easier because you have an overleveled pawn (so again about time).

- Portcrystals for fast travel (they create fast travel points) are purchaseable, however the original game never had any fast travel and the game is intended to play without so again an item just to help speed up the game for those willing to pay. Note that to use the fast travel points you need a whole other stone which is only obtainable in game.

I know they were a surprise but I think if you play the game as intended and as the original one was played the microtransactions sound like they won't bother you. I know it's a bit scummy to put them in but it shouldn't detract from the gameplay etc.

It sounds like transactions aside the game is going down well with players of the original so I am fairly confident I will enjoy this, I do want to pick it up but it will be likely after FFVII as I can't justify having 2 big single player games on the go at the moment.

The microtransactions thing probably need's it's own discussion as more and more games are bringing them in which is not something that is going to go away I don't think. Gamers expect a lot from triple A titles, but they typically still expect a lowish price, can you imagine the dismay when we reach our first £100 game? When you consider the value of some of these games though and compare the number of hours you put in say compared to watching a film at the cinema, gaming is probably the most affordable media option when it comes to purchasing things. (Streaming is another debate when you consider the price of netflix etc).

Luseth.png

4 hours ago, Luseth said:

A friend of mine is playing this on the PS5 at the moment and not having the performance issues PC players are complaining of.

PS5 had some bad performance issues too with the game running at sub-30fps and barely averaging above 35. It doesn't suffer from crashing issues but that's still piss poor for a current gen console in 2024. The PC issues are quite frankly unacceptable and a dreadful middle finger to the platform which actually popularised the game in recent years which allowed for a sequel to be commissioned. 

The microtransaction saga is more of a principle thing so it doesn't really matter whether players need them or not. The first game was also significantly smaller so fast travelling wasn't really required but this one has lots of barren lands on an expansive landscape so to charge for something that should just be included in the game as a free option is just ridiculous.

There are already a few games inching towards the £100 mark too and they are loaded with microtransactions and after-launch passes and expansions. GTA 6 will probably be the first base-game that costs post-£100 but that will still have £hundreds more on top. 

If Dragon's Dogma 2 released in a good state and had no microtransactions then it would be a great game in the vein of the original. Nickel and dime greed and a lousy release has severely ruined it and games like Payday 3 have paid a devastating and irredeemable price for such a thing.  

13 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

A guy at work is playing this and stating GOTY so far.. (PS5) Is it more expensive on PC? He paid 60 bucks for it. 

My copy is ready to go now I have finished Final Fantasy ^_^ It tends to be cheaper on pc, fairly sure I saw it on cdkeys for about £40 when I bought my copy.

Luseth.png