Prince of Persia - The Lost Crown

I actually really love the look of this one. Weirdly its getting panned, maybe because people it should be a grand, open world-esque type of game but Prince of Persia has always been a side-scroller and this looks like its a great way to deliver it imo. And I bet it won't be a triple A price too. Thoughts everyone?

Plus out on my birthday next year (18th Jan) so it has to be a hit surely? 😁

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I have kinda mixed feelings with it being a side scroller - on the one hand, at least it's not a bloated open world online service but on the other, it's really lacking ambition especially as most of their games in this franchise are 3D and were once quite regarded. Feels like a step back but it could also be something a bit different than the usual Ubi tripe. This game will probably be out before Skull and Bones too🤣

On 6/11/2023 at 5:19 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

I have kinda mixed feelings with it being a side scroller - on the one hand, at least it's not a bloated open world online service but on the other, it's really lacking ambition especially as most of their games in this franchise are 3D and were once quite regarded. Feels like a step back but it could also be something a bit different than the usual Ubi tripe. This game will probably be out before Skull and Bones too🤣

I see that point and rightly thats definitely one way it could end up, but I'd air on the side of being positive for this one for a change. Ubisoft don't make all bad stuff, and its easy to just expect that all games need to be open world sandboxes but as we know alot can come out and be a mess and have no depth at all. I think the way it is a 2D scroller but with 3D characteristics in many places gives it a different feel. I feel like its the same as if Final Fantasy went and brought a new game out going back to the ATB system they used at the start of the franchise. It would be loved by many I would expect. Plus, at least it won't be full price for a side scroller either.

After seeing some decent reviews for this, and giving the demo a go, I pre-ordered it and can't friggin wait to dive into it. 

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

My biggest issue with this game is NOT having the ability to control movement ON THE FUCKING D-PAD!!!  It has been one of the more annoying parts of this so far.  There have been times when some precision platforming is required but ends up failing due to the snap back of the analog stick.  Maybe I'm old school, but a 2D game like this should have the option of d-pad movement.  You can't even change it, as the up and down positions on the d-pad are used for potion and a stupid marker option that I never use.  

There are also some latency issues on the Xbox Series X that make the timing of evading and parrying a pain in the ass.  Thankfully, using a headset fixes that, and it appears the issue is non-existent on PS5 and Switch.

Also, just a word of warning.  There's a dash move you get that's mapped to the RT/R2/R button.  For some stupid reason, it makes you dash backward from whatever direction you're facing.  WTF?  

Other than that, It's been decent between the frustrations mentioned.

I finished this one up the other day.  It was a decent run, but I encountered a side quest bug that prevented me from getting all the achievements.  They claim it's been patched, but that's only for people who start a new game post-patch.  Wtf?  We can't just fix the fucking issue period?  Oh well.

I likely won't be playing through this one again.  As with the typical Ubisoft games, they have way too much bloat with collectibles, lore items, and such.  Plus, with the aforementioned side quest bug, I was turned off from playing the game period.  I'm a completionist for Metroidvanias, and when I couldn't finish the quest, I wanted to just shut it down, delete it, and start something else.  It also didn't help that the story didn't hook me in, or was interesting enough to keep me invested.  If the combat had been dogshit, this would've been an easy "Don't recommend."

A lot of what I said in my previous post stands too, so I'll recommend you fine folks wait either for a sale, or when this game inevitably drops on either ubisoft+, game pass, or becomes a PS plus extra game.  There's no real replay value IMO, and with the story being "meh", puts this in a bargain bin.

6 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I finished this one up the other day.  It was a decent run, but I encountered a side quest bug that prevented me from getting all the achievements.  They claim it's been patched, but that's only for people who start a new game post-patch.  Wtf?  We can't just fix the fucking issue period?  Oh well.

I likely won't be playing through this one again.  As with the typical Ubisoft games, they have way too much bloat with collectibles, lore items, and such.  Plus, with the aforementioned side quest bug, I was turned off from playing the game period.  I'm a completionist for Metroidvanias, and when I couldn't finish the quest, I wanted to just shut it down, delete it, and start something else.  It also didn't help that the story didn't hook me in, or was interesting enough to keep me invested.  If the combat had been dogshit, this would've been an easy "Don't recommend."

A lot of what I said in my previous post stands too, so I'll recommend you fine folks wait either for a sale, or when this game inevitably drops on either ubisoft+, game pass, or becomes a PS plus extra game.  There's no real replay value IMO, and with the story being "meh", puts this in a bargain bin.

Shame you had some problems with the game, but it’s good to hear your thoughts as most reviews have been very glowing about the game! 

I haven’t picked this one up and will likely just wait for it come to either Game Pass or PS Plus in a year or so. Hearing your thoughts has made me happy with that decision!

On 1/28/2024 at 2:09 PM, Riff Machine said:

Cheers Chad, sounds like one to wait until it gets to £20. Maybe £25. Its not much more but theres enough on other games to keep me going until that sale inevitably happens. I'll still look forward to it though given your reviews on gameplay.