New Netflix TOS

J4MES OX4D

Netflix are adding new terms to crack down on password sharing which essentially locks the account down to the owners very own home. Also if you don't log into your account for more than 31 days, you and hour household will be blocked from the service even if you were away on vacation or have some other circumstance for not using it within this time. If you want to use the service whilst out and about, you have to contract Netflix to receive a one-time code for another fixed location (not device) i.e a hotel when away from home. This would also be limited so if you are on holiday and go between two locations, you can only activate the account in one place. 

Whilst I understand password sharing to be a big problem (est 100m people exploiting) this is not the answer and it could cause dire inconvenience to existing genuine customers. Those 100m or so users who are accessing it through sharing will not magically turn into subscribers - they will be lucky to capture 1% and will probably drive away a lot more from their current subscribers. Not sure what the best solution would be but what they've pitched has to be the worst for everybody.  

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Those 100m or so users who are accessing it through sharing will not magically turn into subscribers

It’s not just about them turning those users into subscribers it’s also about them having to provide the infrastructure for those users, by getting rid of those users it will significantly reduce the strain on there infrastructure and therefore have the knock on affect of massively reducing their costs. 

That being said if this makes my Netflix experience inconvenient I will be canceling.

Well Netflix is about to lose a lot of customers then and many, including me, will leave. I’m not being dictated to about logging in when they expect you to. Fuck off. What about people with more than one house etc?? How can they police it when many people use VPNs?? Sounds more like scaremongering