Star Citizen - monthly review

phil bottle

I'm going to use a lot of Bored Gamer's vids, there are other good SC vloggers but he talks about everything, warts and all, which I like.

He's going to be doing a monthly status report, the first of which is below.

You will hear him refer to Arena Commander and Star Marine, so I'll explain.

In addition to Star Citizen (multiplayer universe), and Squadron 42 (single player game, not released yet) there are two other extras that we currently have access to.

Arena Commander
This is a mode to practice flying and combat. It's actually the very first proper playable game they ever introduced and it's where I learned to fly. You can fly solo, have combat against AI, and race against humans and AI. It also has the tutorial.

Star Marine

This is essentially a first person shooter but outside of your ship. It's basically COD in space.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thanks Phil. I'm even more excited to try this out now. I didn't realise there's a few extra game modes too which is ace.

All of it looks visually stunning still. When we are exploring are we all in the same world? Or do you only get to see your friends if you join their hosted game?

Thanks Phil. I'm even more excited to try this out now. I didn't realise there's a few extra game modes too which is ace.

All of it looks visually stunning still. When we are exploring are we all in the same world? Or do you only get to see your friends if you join their hosted game?
Yeah it's pretty straightforward to meet up. It's currently 50 people and on any given server but that will be increased as they optimise.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

13 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah it's pretty straightforward to meet up. It's currently 50 people and on any given server but that will be increased as they optimise.

That's great to hear. Probably what No Man's Sky couldn't even dream of!

That's great to hear. Probably what No Man's Sky couldn't even dream of!
Some of the bigger ships need a lot of players.

Mine has room for a co-pilot and a turret gunner, plus seats for six more, this game is still laughing it's arse off over NMS[emoji4]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Some of the bigger ships need a lot of players.

Mine has room for a co-pilot and a turret gunner, plus seats for six more, this game is still laughing it's arse off over NMS[emoji4]

You may need to do some stuff on how co-operative play works if you can take more players on your ship. I have questions like does the whole team work together for the ship, like a clan of sorts?

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

You may need to do some stuff on how co-operative play works if you can take more players on your ship. I have questions like does the whole team work together for the ship, like a clan of sorts?

Anyone can do what they like. They can help you fly a ship. They can alsol shoot you in the head while you're piloting it if they so please.

You can join or form an Organisation.

Organizations get their own public page, and private chat rooms.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/orgs

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Anyone can do what they like. They can help you fly a ship. They can alsol shoot you in the head while you're piloting it if they so please.

You can join or form an Organisation.

Organizations get their own public page, and private chat rooms.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/orgs

I did not know they had organisations. That's cool. You started one yet?

You won't be able to fly some ships without a whole crew, the detail that this game will have is insane.

Need to get myself a proper build for this!
In theory the big ship boys can hire NPCs if they haven't got enough friends to man the stations[emoji4]
But yeah sort out a proper build, Lee is way ahead if you [emoji16]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

In theory the big ship boys can hire NPCs if they haven't got enough friends to man the stationsemoji4.png
But yeah sort out a proper build, Lee is way ahead if you emoji16.png

Ahh that's pretty cool, was wondering what the point would be of getting a massive ship straight away if you couldn't drive it.

He is way ahead of me, dark days Phil, dark days :lol:

I hope NPC's are cheap. I always felt that that was one thing EVE got right. You didn't need to worry about Crew at all, if you want to fly a Carrier, then go nuts, if you want a small frigate, then do that. You just need the training, and then you are good to go.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

2 hours ago, Sennex said:

I hope NPC's are cheap. I always felt that that was one thing EVE got right. You didn't need to worry about Crew at all, if you want to fly a Carrier, then go nuts, if you want a small frigate, then do that. You just need the training, and then you are good to go.

Frigates can have crews of 40 players but can have a minimum crew of 8 (human or NPC). They're expensive and I imagine a whole bunch of guys or clan sharing the cost to play together, and I'd expect NPCs won't be a burden. The Frigates ships aren't in game yet but here's one with full specs:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/aegis-idris/Idris-M+

There'll also be Capital ships with crews of 80 but (pledge ships from the original kickstarter) there's less info:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/aegis-javelin/Javelin

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Honestly, that doesn't appeal to me at all.

That sounds worse than raiding in Vanilla WoW.

EVE totally handled it better. 1 person per ship.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

2 hours ago, Sennex said:

Honestly, that doesn't appeal to me at all.

That sounds worse than raiding in Vanilla WoW.

EVE totally handled it better. 1 person per ship.

I think that's true for most of us, large ships sound like hard work. I jumped in someone else's ship once and - no word of a lie - I couldn't find the cockpit/bridge. 

The majority of ships are one person only or can be piloted with one person.

Mine allows a co-pilot but it's not needed, and I also have space for cargo and a few passengers.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I want to upgrade my PC as I feel moving from 8gb RAM to 16 would help with this gamw, but there is virtually no DDR3 16GB RAM out there for a decent price. If I wanted to move to DDR4, I'd need a new motherboard which also means new CPU, and quite honestly I'm pretty loathe to do that.

Need to give 3.0 another go, but I did have issues last time.

Via the FG App

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

I want to upgrade my PC as I feel moving from 8gb RAM to 16 would help with this gamw, but there is virtually no DDR3 16GB RAM out there for a decent price. If I wanted to move to DDR4, I'd need a new motherboard which also means new CPU, and quite honestly I'm pretty loathe to do that.

Need to give 3.0 another go, but I did have issues last time.

Via the FG App

RAM is very expensive lately. I hear 16gb is desirable and that's what I have. They focused on getting certain features into 3.0 and now they need to focus on optimisation.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg