My strap ons

Docwagon

I'm way behind on my run schedule, because my mayor believes it is an unrealistic expectation to clear "side" streets of snow and ice. As such, my street is two goals and a zamboni away from being the city's new hockey arena. This makes it hazardous to walk to the mailbox on the other side of the street, let alone run. So, I decided to do something about it. 

The product is called "Due North All Purpose Traction Aids, and I bought them from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UQVB2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I strapped them over my 5.11 winter duty boots:

1743522_582289141853604_1010159959_n.jpg

The bottom:

1606977_582289121853606_83929540_n.jpg

Then I proceeded to run 1.95 miles in them. I was as sure footed as a mountain goat. They stuck to ice that was mirror smooth with a light pool of moisture on top (the slickest of slick ice), they stuck fine to rutted ice, they stuck fine on uneven and lumpy ice. When I crossed a main road that was dry, they weren't slippery feeling like walking on athletic cleats. You could hear the spikes click, though.

They seem to be durable and of high quality. The rubber is thick and tough, and the spikes are tungsten-carbide per the packaging. It comes with two spare spikes in case you lose one.

Getting them on takes a little work, as the rubber is thick and once its on, it doesn't want to move, so make sure you get the toe on straight before strapping on the heel. They stay on the boots just fine on or off your feet.

When not on your boots, they are easy to roll up into a ball slightly smaller than my fist. It'd be easy to store a pair or two in a BUG, glove box, wherever, and then any shoe can instantly be high traction on ice.

I have since ran a total of 9 miles on ice, loose snow, hard packed snow, and ice with no problems at all.