Hogwarts Legacy

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

12,000,000 copies sold generating $850,000,000

Seems the boycott backfired just a bit😎

And it doesn't come out on PS4 or Xbox One Until April. So it just might get an even bigger boost

So I completed the story the other day, it was decent and the ending had that Harry Potter feel too it. I think the game lost some of it's charm doing the trophies as it was a lot of go from point A to point B to kill monster A or to collect chest 139 etc.

That said I have only 3 trophies to go which require me playing through to the map chamber with the other 3 houses, can't imagine it will take me too long to do that so might actually have another platinum come this weekend ^_^

My final thoughts on the game -

• Exploring Hogwarts is magical, as someone who grew up with the franchise it is just incredible seeing it brought to life in a new way. Collecting the various chests etc in Hogwarts was also great fun, finding little passageways, puzzle rooms and  interacting with some of the paintings and such.
  • The story was better than I expected I think, I did not really expect much as I thought the whole focus would be on Hogwarts and thus not leave much for other aspects of the game. Though it won't happen I would not mind seeing what happens to the main protaginist after his time at Hogwarts.
  • Visually it was great, the first time seeing Hogwarts is one of those gaming moments you won't forget (despite it looking even better on the big screen).
  • The combat grew on me, as you learn more spells you can combine them to do more damage and such and hitting a troll with his own club is always funny. That said it is not clear some of the things can be done in combat, it could have done with a bit more to try and show you how creative you can be with the combat as it is so easy to just use your preferred spells and then never discover that you can pull a Dugbug up into the air by it's tongue.
  • There were some great little details, just the way you open the kitchen was as you would expect, the way you could run into Peeves getting up to mischief almost anywhere.
  • The wider open game area was really quite badly done I felt.
    • Camps were never explained, treasure caverns were somewhat pointless, a lot of the exploring of the map was just to find collectibles and there were no real stories or side quests to be found out there. It just felt quite lifeless because of it.
  • The game did not feel finished, maybe rushed so that it did not suffer another delay. Quidditch missing seemed absurd, I imagine it will be brought in as DLC now but the cheapness of why it wasn't in the game with the bed in the hospital with a note and it all saying redacted by the headmaster. Harry almost died in the films and yet they never cancelled quidditch did they?
  • The other thing that irked me somewhat is that in what school would a teacher (Fig) encourage their student to be galivanting around the countryside going into undead crypts, fighting Trolls and fighting Goblin rebellions. Though Dumbledore was grooming Harry the rest of the teachers would not have allowed it yet in the game it's somewhat encouraged, why was there not more sneaking out of the school to go and search said crypt and avoiding prefects or teachers to get out.
  • Oh and from what I can tell you can't really play a good or evil playthrough. I tried to play a good playthrough and then you use the ancient magic on an enemy only for it to bash said enemy's head off the floor or turn them into something small and stamp on them. Equally so there is one storyline where you can see someone going down a dark path and even up until the last decision the character is somewhat defending and justifying what he is doing. It just feels like whatever way you play it, it would not have any impact on the game. I reckon if I went around killing people with the killing curse everyone at Hogwarts would treat me the same and that just doesn't feel right in modern open world games. Heck back in the first Fable game if you were evil then npc's would respond differently so it's not a new idea or new tech.

My thoughts are me keeping the HP tinted specs off, as a HP fan it would be easy to just claim this as the best game this generation so far but there have been better games over the past 10 years.

I will do my plat trophy now and then maybe do another full play through once any / all dlc has come out 🙂  It's a good game I just felt that they could have done so much more / better, but I suppose this is the studio's first proper open world isn't it? So they have things to learn.

Luseth.png

On 3/3/2023 at 8:48 AM, Luseth said:

So I completed the story the other day, it was decent and the ending had that Harry Potter feel too it. I think the game lost some of it's charm doing the trophies as it was a lot of go from point A to point B to kill monster A or to collect chest 139 etc.

That said I have only 3 trophies to go which require me playing through to the map chamber with the other 3 houses, can't imagine it will take me too long to do that so might actually have another platinum come this weekend ^_^

My final thoughts on the game -

• Exploring Hogwarts is magical, as someone who grew up with the franchise it is just incredible seeing it brought to life in a new way. Collecting the various chests etc in Hogwarts was also great fun, finding little passageways, puzzle rooms and  interacting with some of the paintings and such.
  • The story was better than I expected I think, I did not really expect much as I thought the whole focus would be on Hogwarts and thus not leave much for other aspects of the game. Though it won't happen I would not mind seeing what happens to the main protaginist after his time at Hogwarts.
  • Visually it was great, the first time seeing Hogwarts is one of those gaming moments you won't forget (despite it looking even better on the big screen).
  • The combat grew on me, as you learn more spells you can combine them to do more damage and such and hitting a troll with his own club is always funny. That said it is not clear some of the things can be done in combat, it could have done with a bit more to try and show you how creative you can be with the combat as it is so easy to just use your preferred spells and then never discover that you can pull a Dugbug up into the air by it's tongue.
  • There were some great little details, just the way you open the kitchen was as you would expect, the way you could run into Peeves getting up to mischief almost anywhere.
  • The wider open game area was really quite badly done I felt.
    • Camps were never explained, treasure caverns were somewhat pointless, a lot of the exploring of the map was just to find collectibles and there were no real stories or side quests to be found out there. It just felt quite lifeless because of it.
  • The game did not feel finished, maybe rushed so that it did not suffer another delay. Quidditch missing seemed absurd, I imagine it will be brought in as DLC now but the cheapness of why it wasn't in the game with the bed in the hospital with a note and it all saying redacted by the headmaster. Harry almost died in the films and yet they never cancelled quidditch did they?
  • The other thing that irked me somewhat is that in what school would a teacher (Fig) encourage their student to be galivanting around the countryside going into undead crypts, fighting Trolls and fighting Goblin rebellions. Though Dumbledore was grooming Harry the rest of the teachers would not have allowed it yet in the game it's somewhat encouraged, why was there not more sneaking out of the school to go and search said crypt and avoiding prefects or teachers to get out.
  • Oh and from what I can tell you can't really play a good or evil playthrough. I tried to play a good playthrough and then you use the ancient magic on an enemy only for it to bash said enemy's head off the floor or turn them into something small and stamp on them. Equally so there is one storyline where you can see someone going down a dark path and even up until the last decision the character is somewhat defending and justifying what he is doing. It just feels like whatever way you play it, it would not have any impact on the game. I reckon if I went around killing people with the killing curse everyone at Hogwarts would treat me the same and that just doesn't feel right in modern open world games. Heck back in the first Fable game if you were evil then npc's would respond differently so it's not a new idea or new tech.

My thoughts are me keeping the HP tinted specs off, as a HP fan it would be easy to just claim this as the best game this generation so far but there have been better games over the past 10 years.

I will do my plat trophy now and then maybe do another full play through once any / all dlc has come out 🙂  It's a good game I just felt that they could have done so much more / better, but I suppose this is the studio's first proper open world isn't it? So they have things to learn.

Was saying to Lee yesterday you need to be objective and take away the Harry Potter skin, it isnt even the best RPG in the last 2 years. Its decent enough, but like you said feels unfinished, feels like its a good first step towards a better Hogwarts Legacy 2. The 'good or evil' thing literally doesnt exist. You are a dark wizard by default. You got around smashing humans and goblins against the floor and stealing everything you find. You are a dark wizard by default. This needs to be implemented properly in a 2nd game if it happens. Also agree the world feels pretty empty and lifeless in most places outside of the castle

They definitely didnt have enough time to finish it, even with the delay and that was clear. That said, going around doing the collectible stuff, just wandering around can be fun and relaxing at your own pace.

cba