Fired from work after anonomously embarrasing a customer that didnt tip

Dr Diamond

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/01/fired-applebees-waitress-needs-tips

Applebees_receipt_460.jpg

For real ?

Well done for the awful publicity you have now gotten Applebees!

I am with the waitress on this one, everyone knows that tipping IS NOT optional in the states

Tips are not optional, they are how waiters get paid in America
An Applebee's diner refused to leave a tip for religious reasons. The waitress who exposed it wonders if Jesus will pay her bills

A customer at an Applebee's restaurant in St. Louis left no tip and a note saying, "I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?"I was a waitress at Applebee's restaurant in Saint Louis. I was fired Wednesday for posting a picture on Reddit.com of a note a customer left on a bill. I posted it on the web as a light-hearted joke.
This didn't even happen at my table. The note was left for another server, who allowed me to take a picture of it at the end of the night.QuoteSomeone had scribbled on the receipt, "I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?"I assumed the customer's signature was illegible, but I quickly started receiving messages containing Facebook profile links and websites, asking me to confirm the identity of the customer. I refused to confirm any of them, and all were incorrect.
I worked with the Reddit moderators to remove any personal information. I wanted to protect the identity of both my fellow server and the customer. I had no intention of starting a witch-hunt or hurting anyone.
Now I've been fired.
The person who wrote the note came across an article about it, called the Applebee's location, and demanded everyone be fired -- me, the server who allowed me to take the picture, the manager on duty at the time, the manager not on duty at the time, everyone. It seems I was fired not because Applebee's was represented poorly, not because I did anything illegal or against company policy, but because I embarrassed this person.
In light of the situation, I would like to make a statement on behalf of wait staff everywhere: We make $3.50 an hour. Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make.
After sharing my tips with hosts, bussers, and bartenders, I make less than $9 an hour on average, before taxes. I am expected to skip bathroom breaks if we are busy. I go hungry all day if I have several busy tables to work. I am expected to work until 1:30am and then come in again at 10:30am to open the restaurant.
I have worked 12-hour double shifts without a chance to even sit down. I am expected to portray a canned personality that has been found to be least offensive to the greatest amount of people. And I am expected to do all of this, every day, and receive change, or even nothing, in return. After all that, I can be fired for "embarrassing" someone, who directly insults his or her server on religious grounds.
In this economy, $3.50 an hour doesn't cut it. I can't pay half my bills. Like many, I would love to see a reasonable, non-tip-dependent wage system for service workers like they have in other countries. But the system being flawed is not an excuse for not paying for services rendered.
I need tips to pay my bills. All waiters do. We spend an hour or more of our time befriending you, making you laugh, getting to know you, and making your dining experience the best it can be. We work hard. We care. We deserve to be paid for that.QuoteI am trying to stand up for all of us who work for just a few dollars an hour at places like Applebee's. Whether a chain steakhouse or a black-tie establishment, tipping is not optional. It is how we get paid.I posted a picture to make people laugh, but now I want to make a serious point: Things like this happen to servers all the time. People seem to think that the easiest way to save money on a night out is to skip the tip.
I can't understand why I was fired over this. I was well liked and respected at Applebee's. My sales were high, my managers had no problems with me, and I was even hoping to move up to management soon. When I posted this, I didn't represent Applebee's in a bad light. In fact, I didn't represent them at all.
I did my best to protect the identity of all parties involved. I didn't break any specific guidelines in the company handbook – I checked. But because this person got embarrassed that their selfishness was made public, Applebee's has made it clear that they would rather lose a dedicated employee than an angry customer. That's a policy I can't understand.
I am equally baffled about how a religious tithe is in any way related to paying for services at a restaurant. I can understand why someone could be upset with an automatic gratuity. However, it's a plainly stated Applebee's policy that a tip is added automatically for parties over eight like the one this customer was part of. I cannot control that kind of tip; it's done by the computer that the orders are put into. I've been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I've seen the "Big Man" used as reasoning.
Obviously the person who wrote this note wanted it seen by someone. It's strange that now that the audience is wider than just the server, the person is ashamed.
I have no agenda here. I seek no revenge against the note writer. I have no interest in exposing their identity, and, at this point, I'm not even sure I want my job back. I was just trying to make a joke, but I came home unemployed.
I've been waiting tables to save up some money so I could finally go to college, so I could get an education that would qualify me for a job that doesn't force me to sell my personality for pocket change.
While this story has garnered immense media attention, my story is not uncommon. Bad tips and harsh notes are all part of the job. People get fired to keep customers happy every day.
As this story has gotten popular, I've received inquiries as to where people can send money to support me. As a broke kid trying to get into college, it's certainly appealing, but I'd really rather you make a difference to your next server. I'd rather you keep that money and that generosity for the next time you eat out.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

thats fine in england, but the point is, in the usa they are paid ridiculously low wages and the customer makes up the rest....in effect, the food is cheap, but then its like an added tax that covers the waiters/waitresses wage. its accepted that you tip for pretty much everything in the states

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

I always tip. My wife managed a restaurant for years, and more often than not, shit service isn't because of shit service, it;s because of difficult customers and the staff having a shit day. I find that a tip often cheers said people up a bit and their service is notably better.

banlol.png

In the US and Canada there are minimum wages and yes tipping is expected. However TIP (To Insure Proper Service) means exactly that. I've tipped $0.02 to a real shitty waiter just so they know I didn't forget. If you want a good tip do a good job. I've also tipped 20% for good service. In Ontario the minimum wage is about $10.60. 

And if someone were to post anything on a website with my detail after a tip they did not like, I would get their ass fired. I always make sure they get to see the tip so if they are going bitch about it, they can do it to my face and get an explanation. I spend about $125K on the service industry every year to put things into perspective. Most is on business travel.

It really pisses me off when a server does a shitty job if there  is no reason for it. I understand busy restaurants and meals no to my linking but I do expect service to give a good tip. For example if I have to get up after 10 minutes to get my own fork to eat my meal that has gotten cold after I asked for one, forget about getting a good tip.

And if someone were to post anything on a website with my detail after a tip they did not like, I would get their ass fired..

why would you actively go out of your way to make someone lose their job when they are just having a laugh ?

all they did was find what they thought to be a funny excuse for not tipping, and share it with people , without making it obvious who the customer was.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

why would you actively go out of your way to make someone lose their job when they are just having a laugh ?

all they did was find what they thought to be a funny excuse for not tipping, and share it with people , without making it obvious who the customer was.

Like I said if they were to post my details. Which has been done also where people have been harrased. If my details are not there I could not careless and probably would not find out anyways.

cool. i misread your post.

I have worked in the service industry. i could not care if people tipped and i did not expect it, as the majority of the customers were middle class holiday makers from london who, lets just say, have certain "unpleasant" aspects to their  attitudes towards staff.

if they had posted the persons name then that is unacceptable. its their choice not to tip. but its ridiculous that they got fired

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I thought it was common knowledge not to post shit from your work on the internet... IMO the waitress should not have gotten fired...but come on you can post a million funny things on the internet that don't effect your job!

As to the religious customer....I bet they worked for their money to buy the food, funny that they accept that money but don't want other people to earn money.

in the usa they are paid ridiculously low wages and the customer makes up the rest

And therein lies the problem. Just because a restaurant owner is too cheap to pay a decent wage then why should the customer have to pay extra out of their pocket?

I do tip yes, BUT I personally feel tipping is in fact bullshit. If you don't like the hourly pay then don't take the job, if you own a restaurant then pay your damn waitstaff a decent wage and stop expecting your customers to pick up your responsibility for paying your employees.

Tipping is practically non-existant in New Zealand. I always find it weird when people are talking about it, I guess it is a good thing to do if service is nice but I couldn't imagine an almost necessary thing as it appears in the US. 

I think if no personal information was released it would be fine but I mean you can't exactly blame the customer from being angry. 

Kia Ora. 

as cyberninja has said Matt, leave $0.02 as a tip.

if you dont tip, they just think your an arse.

if you leave a horrid tip, it leaves a statement that their service was piss poor

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I tip if they deserve it and most places i go people do deserve it.

I went for a burger the week day at this diner place in London, it took a life time to order because the staff were just chatting. I then finally ordered a burger, medium rare, but it came crispy on the outside a raw in the centre, it wasn't even warm on the inside. The waitress said, "that's what medium rare looks like". I said "well what the hell does rare look like? Do you just bring me a live cow?" She wasn't impressed and huffed as she walked away, then she actually just chucked the plate down on the table! 

When the bill came it said that their service charge had already been added to the bill, i asked if there was any way to take this off because if i pay £9 for a burger i expect it cooked how i want to and i don't expect to be told i'm wrong, when i was quite clearly right.

Anyway, my point is most people do deserve to get tipped, the tight asses who don't tip anyone are dicks and to say the reason why you don't is because you only give god 10% so why should you get more?? I think people have religion backwards, aren't we meant to love each other?

God would have tipped.......

(I've put this in a spoiler because i don't want to offend people, so if you open it and get offend it's your own fault)

If he existed

It sucks he got fired for posting a pic of that. However, everyone should know there is no such thing as privacy anymore.  Everyone is spying on everyone. It was probably a bad idea to post that pic considering the way things are in this day and age.

I always tip as well. Usually $5. I used to wait tables and deliver pizzas. Tips were always appreciated. Hell, I even tip my car wash attendant and hair stylist

Keep calm and question nothing.

I tip if they deserve it and most places i go people do deserve it.

I went for a burger the week day at this diner place in London, it took a life time to order because the staff were just chatting. I then finally ordered a burger, medium rare, but it came crispy on the outside a raw in the centre, it wasn't even warm on the inside. The waitress said, "that's what medium rare looks like". I said "well what the hell does rare look like? Do you just bring me a live cow?" She wasn't impressed and huffed as she walked away, then she actually just chucked the plate down on the table! 

When the bill came it said that their service charge had already been added to the bill, i asked if there was any way to take this off because if i pay £9 for a burger i expect it cooked how i want to and i don't expect to be told i'm wrong, when i was quite clearly right.

Anyway, my point is most people do deserve to get tipped, the tight asses who don't tip anyone are dicks and to say the reason why you don't is because you only give god 10% so why should you get more?? I think people have religion backwards, aren't we meant to love each other?

God would have tipped.......

(I've put this in a spoiler because i don't want to offend people, so if you open it and get offend it's your own fault)

If he existed

I think the point here was that 18% was automatically included on the bill and the customer was given no choice. I know that the Church in Quebec use to expect you to give 10% of your wages to the Church (essentially a Church tax) and that's probably where than number and example came from. The just expected it. I don't know how common it is elsewhere. 

It sucks he got fired for posting a pic of that. However, everyone should know there is no such thing as privacy anymore.  Everyone is spying on everyone. It was probably a bad idea to post that pic considering the way things are in this day and age.

I always tip as well. Usually $5. I used to wait tables and deliver pizzas. Tips were always appreciated. Hell, I even tip my car wash attendant and hair stylist

And those people should be thankful rather than complain that they only got $5 and post it on the internet. 

And therein lies the problem. Just because a restaurant owner is too cheap to pay a decent wage then why should the customer have to pay extra out of their pocket?

I do tip yes, BUT I personally feel tipping is in fact bullshit. If you don't like the hourly pay then don't take the job, if you own a restaurant then pay your damn waitstaff a decent wage and stop expecting your customers to pick up your responsibility for paying your employees.

Well you still would end up paying only the prices would be higher. The cost is always passed along and then less people might eat out which would be a problem for the server and restaurant. Despite my earlier comments I like tipping. If the service is great they get tipped, if it isn't the get my .02 worth. At that point it is entirely in our control. Mine and the server. 

I think the point here was that 18% was automatically included on the bill and the customer was given no choice. I know that the Church in Quebec use to expect you to give 10% of your wages to the Church (essentially a Church tax) and that's probably where than number and example came from. The just expected it. I don't know how common it is elsewhere. 

I don't mind it being on the bill because generally, service is good where ever i go and the staff are friendly. So it kinda makes life easier for you but for those rare times when they are plain awful, you should be able to take it off.

Actually! Do they have to ask if they can add it? hmm i'm going to look this up cuz i've no idea lol 

The tipping etiquette in the UK

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186216-s606/United-Kingdom:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Tipping
Context
Tipping is not always expected in the UK in the way it is in the United States or Canada. All staff in the UK, must by law, be paid at least the National Minimum Wage 2013 (£6.19 / hr, unless under 21) whether they receive tips or not. Therefore, unlike in much of North America, the need and culture for tipping is much less.

Equally, British people have a reputation in the USA for not tipping, and indeed many object vociferously to the practice, arguing that the cost should be included in the price of the food. Others however feel it appropriate to tip in various scenarios.

Taxis
It is not a requirement to tip in taxis, but it is customary to round up to the nearest pound on metered taxi journeys, more as a convenience to both passenger and driver than as a tip.

On an airport journey in a booked minicab you might wish to tip two or three pounds if the driver helps with your bags. If taking a licenced London taxi cab to or from Heathrow or in London a 10% tip is normal.

Takeaway food
If your food is delivered to your hotel or apartment, tipping is not required, but the delivery driver would obviously appreciate a pound, or some/all of the change as appropriate, as a tip. Some customers tip, some do not.

If you pick up the food from the takeaway restaurant, tipping would be inappropriate. Don't do it.

Fast food, cafes and coffee shops
No tips are ever offered in fast food restaurants.

In a cafe, you may receive waitress service to bring your tea, coffee, sausages, or whatever you have ordered to the table. In these establishments tipping is not usual. If you feel the service has been especially pleasant you can leave a pound, or your change in appreciation.

In coffee shops, such as Starbucks, there may be a tip jar on the counter, but very few customers offer tips.

In casual cafeterias, where you collect your food and place it on a tray, commonly found in tourist attractions, tipping is never appropriate.

Restaurants
In casual restaurants, where you pay for your order at a counter, but food is brought to your table, tipping is uncommon. You are welcome to leave a pound or two if you wish.

In restaurants where you place your order with your waiter/waitress and receive food, and your bill, at your table, it is usual to tip around 10%. The expectation does vary from place to place - in fine dining restaurants where you receive personal service, a tip would always be expected (while never compulsory, it would be considered rude unless there was a problem with the service), whereas in the most casual of restaurants tipping is not universal.

If you have been unhappy with the service, you should not leave a tip.

In some restaurants, a service charge may be added to the bill, typically 10% or 12.5%. This should be noted on the menu, sometimes only for larger groups. If it is not, it would be appropriate to object, to ask that it be removed. If you are otherwise unhappy with the service, you should also request that it be removed, explaining your unhappiness.

In any case where a service charge is added, or the menu notes 'service included', you should NOT add any further tip. Beware that in some cases a service charge may appear on your bill, and if you pay by credit card the machine may then ask if you want to add a tip. Check your bill to see if a service charge has been added before paying, and if it has, be sure not to add any more on at the machine.

In some cases a restaurant may print 'service not included' on the bill or menu. This is a request for a 'tip'! You are not obligated to offer anything, but 10% would be normal in this scenario if the service warranted any sort of tip..

Keep your voice down! The British do notice if someone's voice is raised and if other people can hear your conversation, they will think you are very rude.

Pubs and bars
Bartenders in pubs and bars do not expect to be tipped. If however you have developed a rapport with the barman you can buy him a drink, by saying 'and one for yourself', which is an offer that they buy a drink for themselves, although since this may not be permitted, they would take it as a tip of around £1. This is far from typical, and would be inappropriate for instance, on your first visit to the bar.

Hotels
As with anywhere in the world, a porter bringing your bags to your room expects to receive a cash tip. Around £2 would be reasonable.

You should not tip room service bringing food/drinks to your room.

A few guests choose to leave a tip for their chambermaid, and this would be considerate especially if you have left a mess in your room, but it is not a requirement.

In smaller hotels and guesthouses tipping is not expected as they tend to be family run establishments. Such places appreciate repeat custom or positive feedback on recommendation sites.

Massage, hair and other services
In the UK the price you pay for a spa treatment is all-inclusive. You are not expected to secrete money somewhere about your person in order to tip your masseur!

If you get a hair cut, tipping is common but not universal/required. Tip around 10%, in cash, rounded to the nearest pound, if you are happy with the service.

Then a wee bit about how service charges are becoming more regular, even though they are optional

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2355717/Should-I-pay-12-5-optional-service-charge-restaurants.html

In recent years, I have noticed an explosion in the number of bars and restaurants in London sticking on an ‘optional’ service charge onto a bill, typically 12.5 per cent, but sometimes between 10 – 15 per cent.
I have no problem leaving a tip – and depending on how enthusiastic and friendly the waiter or waitress is will depend on how generous the tip will be. While the bigger the party, the more deserving of the tip.
However, this ‘optional’ service charge lumped onto an increasing number of bills makes me feel the staff feel their tip is ‘safe,' and in the bag.
¿Qué?: Would you pay for an 'optional' service charge - even if you thought the service was reminiscent of Manuel from Fawlty Towers?
¿Qué?: Would you pay for an 'optional' service charge - even if you thought the service was reminiscent of Manuel from Fawlty Towers?
The majority of people won’t challenge it out of fear and embarrassment or don't want to look silly in front of whoever they are dining with – they will simply pay it, so waiters/waitresses don’t need to work hard for their already secured tip.
On a £100 bill for two people, for example, you are staring at a £12.50 tip - expensive for a couple of trips back and forth with some plates.
There have been a number of these service charges that have been added to my bills in recent months which has truly not been deserved. I visit more bars and restaurants than average as in my spare time I run a restaurant review blog which you can take a look at here.

More...
League table of official UK salaries across 400 trades and professions
Family that pledged to buy only products made in Britain has cut its food bill by 20%
Rising food costs hitting restaurants and cafes hard, with many paying more for food than in rent or rates
Save on your supermarket shop: The best rewards cards for cashback, points and perks
Play your cards right: The best credit cards for spending, holidays, rewards or clearing your debts
Should the service charge be scrapped? Vote in the This is Money forums
Could you earn cashback on your purchases?
The problem is exacerbated by the fact that nearly every time I visit bars and restaurants, I will pay by card. If you don’t want to pay the charge, you have to say, or the server will tap in the overall bill into the chip and pin machine.
I was at the relatively new, funky cocktail bar at the top of Heron Tower near Liverpool Street to celebrate my girlfriend’s birthday.
We went to the bar twice for drinks and I opened a tab. I had two bottles of beer and she had two glasses of champagne. I then had to queue twenty minutes to pay said tab and when I looked at the bill, there was an added 12.5 per cent service charge.
We hadn’t had table service, the staff we rude and obnoxious and had just (about) performed their job – poured drinks. Yet still they wanted to charge me this extra cost. I argued, but they wouldn’t budge. With a train to catch and already having waited in a queue for an age with people building up behind me, I just paid it (a rare example of an occasion I have despite undeserving staff).
Snookered: Many bills will come with the 'optional' service charge attached
Snookered: Many bills will come with the 'optional' service charge attached
I e-mailed the cocktail bar a few days after to complain and it didn’t even bother to reply about its policy. We won’t be going back, no matter how fantastic the setting was.
Another occasion was last week in Kensington with a This is Money colleague. We ordered two beers after sitting at a table. When we had finished, we decided to pay up as we wanted to move on.
The beers (which were an eye-watering £5.50 each anyway) then came with a service charge, because the waiter had walked six paces from the bar with the drinks. We paid by cash and simply refused to pay such a futile charge.
Lastly, I went to a restaurant with my girlfriend in Balham and where we encountered a painfully slow service. It took half an hour just to order. We would have just left, but it was a busy evening and most of the other restaurants we had passed were already full.
I don’t blame the staff for the slowness, it was extremely busy and they needed more bodies to cope.
However, the food and the whole experience didn’t live up to the £80 price tag at the end. This, again, had a 12.5 per cent service charge. It was far too high in our opinion – the couple next to us refused to pay the service charge due to the slow nature.
We followed suit. I paid by card, and asked for the service charge to be taken off. This was met by disapproval and sighs by the waiter, but it had to be done. Instead, we just left a £2 cash tip - more than a reasonable amount considering the wait and quality of the meal.
I don’t want to see Britain becoming like the US, where giving a service charge or gratuity becomes customary.
Waiting staff in Britain will at the very least earn minimum wage, currently at £6.19 per hour for those over 21, or £4.98 between 18 to 20. This is soon to rise to £6.31 and £5.03 respectively.
According to the TripAdvisor website, in some states in the US, restaurants are allowed to pay their servers as low as $2.13 per hour, which would be simply criminal this side of the Atlantic.
This base wage varies among states, for example, Massachusetts pays $2.63, Connecticut $5, and California $8. This means that tipping is necessary.
TripAdvisor says that 10 per cent usually means you are very unhappy, 15 per cent usually means all was ok, 20 per cent for excellent, 25 per cent for outstanding -15 per cent and over is considered ‘normal’.
I’m not saying we should stop tipping waiters/waitresses in the UK, but it should be on merit – not because a bar or restaurant wants to lump it on.
I have now got in the habit of taking loose change with me, so I can decide how much of a tip I want to give, rather than being bullied into paying a set amount.

Well you still would end up paying only the prices would be higher. The cost is always passed along and then less people might eat out which would be a problem for the server and restaurant.

20 years ago that statement would have been true, but in 2013 I have to disagree with you. When I go out and pay $9 for a hamburger..$4 for a plate of fries, then $3.25 for a fountain drink...that is already way overpriced so the idea that they keep prices down on the food by not paying the staff as they should no longer holds water in my book.