FG Server Team Ideas

GazzaGarratt

On 9/23/2017 at 8:09 PM, Greboth said:

How about here for a locatoin? I was hoping to find somewhere further from spawn but I couldn't find anywhere that I thought was suitable.  It is near a village though so handy for trading with (or even kidnapping to make out own village).  I haven't given any specific co-ordinates as I think this build is going to be huge so anywhere around there should be fine.

37222245686_b166df060a_o.jpg

Had a look today...seems a good location although, given the size of the proposed build, I think we may end up doing some infill (or developing a basement!)

I've left a warp point with a view if anyone wants to check it out and comment..  /warp communal

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 30/09/2017 at 3:40 PM, Plumbers Crack said:

Had a look today...seems a good location although, given the size of the proposed build, I think we may end up doing some infill (or developing a basement!)

I've left a warp point with a view if anyone wants to check it out and comment..  /warp communal

For the house I think we need it reasonable level but for the grounds we could leave some terrain in.  I found other sites but they were much worse in terms of what would need to be dug/filled in.

I've started a model of the house too, it is vert basic at the moment as I want to be sure I've understood everyones idea correctly before going any further.  The model differs slightly from the blueprint I posted before as I have made the wings on the first floor larger so they meet the external walls.  Was this close to what people had as a mental image? let me know if you want bits changing.

37404613862_9df928d8e6_o.jpg

36765300733_6202bb90be_o.jpg

P.s. It is just rendered in grey as it is quick and easy but the house doesn't have to be grey ;)

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

27 minutes ago, Greboth said:

For the house I think we need it reasonable level but for the grounds we could leave some terrain in.  I found other sites but they were much worse in terms of what would need to be dug/filled in.

I've started a model of the house too, it is vert basic at the moment as I want to be sure I've understood everyones idea correctly before going any further.  The model differs slightly from the blueprint I posted before as I have made the wings on the first floor larger so they meet the external walls.  Was this close to what people had as a mental image? let me know if you want bits changing.

37404613862_9df928d8e6_o.jpg

36765300733_6202bb90be_o.jpg

P.s. It is just rendered in grey as it is quick and easy but the house doesn't have to be grey ;)

Nice mate, makes it easier ti visualise, maybe the first floor wings need to be higher?

Do you mean higher as a change to the design or higher on the model?

The scale of the model is a bit of a guesstimate as the floor plan is taken from the blueprints I made but as we didn't decide any sizes on that the height is a bit of a wellllll I'm guessing this is going to be about so many blocks and the height of the room we said would be 5 blocks so thats about this big.

Stick of inches sounds like a euphemism :lol: 

I roughly worked on the basis that the entrance+stairs is ~5 blocks behind the C1 and C2 which gives the total house a size of around 50-60 bocks square.  As we decided that the rooms would be 5 or 6 blocks high it means the ground floor height is slightly taller than this is deep.  I thought I'd get the basic model out so people can see what it looks like but I'm not 100% on the shape of it at the moment.  If we can start deciding on some of the dimensions I can model it to scale :) 

Stick of inches = ruler or scale rule :)

Size...hmmm! I think it all revolves around the central atriums. Their size will be dictated the stairs going up, which will probably be by trial and error and looks like it will be a square (which probably also makes it easier). So let’s call that A x A

If the first floor corridor is two blocks wide, then the inner walls will be A+4 x A+4

If the room size is say 6 blocks wide, the overall block of four wings would be A+16 x A+16

That would give you a room dimension of (A+10) x 6....I think! :lol: Please feel free to freestyle on this!

I know what you meant :P It's just stick of inches sounded euphemistic for something else....

Using a similar method to yours, ignoring the size of the atrium(a) for now then counting only one side I was thinking;

1 block for wall fence between atrium and corridor, 3 block wide corridor, 3 block thick wall, 6 block wide wing, 3 block thick wall = 16 blocks.

That is only one side thought so 32 blocks total so the area of that section of the build would be a+32 x a+32.

Plus the central corridor between the two wing blocks

If you have a rough idea of the total ground floor footprint of the building, tell me and I'll mark it out in torches/fences on the site (non-invasive if we change our mind) to give us a feel of the size

A slight re-calculation of the sizes, I forgot to remember the whole need to be odd numbers so there is a middle block.  So makes the each side 1 block bigger from 16 to 17

So - 1 block for wall fence between atrium and corridor, 3 block wide corridor, 3 block thick wall, 7 block wide wing, 3 block thick wall = 17 blocks.  Doubling that for both sides then the total area for each wing bit would be a+43 by a+43.  I think the Atrium needs to be a reasonably sized but not huge, if we say make it 21 blocks square it makes each wing area a nice round number of 64x64 blocks.  We said before about making the corridor between the wing squares 9 blocks so, assuming my maths is correct so all of this, is 64 blocks for wings 1-4 + 9 for corridor + 64 blocks for wings 5-8 = 137 blocks.

The front of the house with the entrance and stairs doesn't need to be so big but is somewhat defined by the room we will need for the stairs.  However if we guesstimate that if we make the communal rooms 32 blocks that gives the front to back dimension of the build 64 + 32 = 96.

So that makes the whole house 137 in the east-west direction and 96 in the north-south.  Which is HUGE! maybe too big? For some sort of scale the total front print of my personal build is only 73 x 73.

On the other hand I think, as the saying goes, go big or go home! :D 

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

A slight re-calculation of the sizes, I forgot to remember the whole need to be odd numbers so there is a middle block.  So makes the each side 1 block bigger from 16 to 17

So - 1 block for wall fence between atrium and corridor, 3 block wide corridor, 3 block thick wall, 7 block wide wing, 3 block thick wall = 17 blocks.  Doubling that for both sides then the total area for each wing bit would be a+43 by a+43.  I think the Atrium needs to be a reasonably sized but not huge, if we say make it 21 blocks square it makes each wing area a nice round number of 64x64 blocks.  We said before about making the corridor between the wing squares 9 blocks so, assuming my maths is correct so all of this, is 64 blocks for wings 1-4 + 9 for corridor + 64 blocks for wings 5-8 = 137 blocks.

The front of the house with the entrance and stairs doesn't need to be so big but is somewhat defined by the room we will need for the stairs.  However if we guesstimate that if we make the communal rooms 32 blocks that gives the front to back dimension of the build 64 + 32 = 96.

So that makes the whole house 137 in the east-west direction and 96 in the north-south.  Which is HUGE! maybe too big? For some sort of scale the total front print of my personal build is only 73 x 73.

On the other hand I think, as the saying goes, go big or go home! :D 

...uumm..Houston, we may have a problem...it's not big, it's mahoosive!! :o

I've done the outline in torches and from /warp communal at night you struggle to see the far wall 96 blocks away!!!

Have a look and see what you think - we can do it (just) with some judicious infilling/excavating before we hit the village but I think internally it will be cavernous

25 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

...uumm..Houston, we may have a problem...it's not big, it's mahoosive!! :o

I've done the outline in torches and from /warp communal at night you struggle to see the far wall 96 blocks away!!!

Have a look and see what you think - we can do it (just) with some judicious infilling/excavating before we hit the village but I think internally it will be cavernous

My maths is wrong but only by a bit, 17 + 17 = 34 not 43.  So with the atrium in the middle (even sticking to 21 blocks) is 55 so reduces total width to 55+9+55 = 119 so still huge.  The problem with this layout is, on these dimension each personal wing is 7 blocks wide and 38 long but if you make them shorter you have to make them narrower too.

We could narrow the wings to only 5 wide which still means they're 36 long but makes the total size of the side only 15 blocks.  We could also reduce the atrium size say to 15 blocks too? Making each wing block only 45 blocks.  So 45 + 9 + 45 = 99.  Still pretty huge but at least a little more buildable.

We could shrink the communal rooms too but, as above, these will somewhat be defined by the room needed for the stairs in the entrance so maybe leave these and build it only as big as we require than any fixed size?

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

It's Destiny reset day so will probably be on that all tonight but I'll try and get MC tomorrow night.  I haven't been on the server properly in ages.

Have a quick look tonight....D2 servers are down for maintenance untill 8.00pm

Ok I came in here expecting to see a thread of a few people mucking about in Minecraft, but jesus this is some pretty high level stuff.

Have you applied to the minecraft council for planning permission? :P

I'll jump on at some point - is this just on PC you're playing?

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Or reduce to 6 wings around one central atrium?

Possibly make each of the 6 wings (apartments) two storey?

How would you fit 6 around one atrium?

I get we don't want it to be massive but I'm reluctant to make it too small as you need a certain size, certain grandeur to keep it with the country house / estate look.

@Mikepjbell This is on PC and we're running a mods.  Though I know quite a few of us do also have it on PS4 too.