Project CARS

I've been following the progress of this game for a while; it looks and sounds amazing so far. You might know there are many free racing games out there that are similar where you buy cars/tracks etc. to support the game but the graphics and physics leave a ton to be desired. Hopefully this will fill in the gaps. On top of all of that its really interesting how its being accomplished...

0092.jpg

Project CARS (Community Assisted Racing Simulator) is a racing simulation video game in development by Slightly Mad Studios. It is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, Wii U, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 during 2014. Project Cars is being considered for a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release sometime after the initial release on current generation systems if Slightly Mad Studios gets additional funding from the community.

Funding for the game is raised by the community and the developers themselves, without the financial aid of a traditional publisher. Through the purchase of Tool Packs players can contribute to development in roles including content creation, QA, and marketing media. Members gain special perks, depending on their purchased tool pack.

via

TRAILER:

ABOUT THE GAME...

PROJECT CARS represents THE ULTIMATE DRIVER JOURNEY...

• FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!
  • Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver
  • FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT... Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!
  • Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you've never seen before!
  • Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage
  • DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging
  • 10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport
  • CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content
  • USER-GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world - either for free, in-game credits or even real money!
  • PUSHING TO THE LIMITS - Advanced physics, lighting, and AI

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pCARS

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally its here; got to play a little bit last night! Graphically the game is amazing and runs like a dream but I'm still in the process of dialing in the twitchy steering and harsh breaking. I'm so used to playing racing games with the wheel in 200 degree mode that the native 900 degrees are taking some getting used to, especially in the formulas, but the input vs the beta version is way better. Haven't tried with a controller yet.

You can choose to start at top level in career if you want but I started at the beginning in karting and made the mistake of putting AI on 70% for one set of races, mistake, talk about being abused and bumped out of the way. I won but damn :lol: So far its very promising.

Finally its here; got to play a little bit last night! Graphically the game is amazing and runs like a dream but I'm still in the process of dialing in the twitchy steering and harsh breaking. I'm so used to playing racing games with the wheel in 200 degree mode that the native 900 degrees are taking some getting used to, especially in the formulas, but the input vs the beta version is way better. Haven't tried with a controller yet.

You can choose to start at top level in career if you want but I started at the beginning in karting and made the mistake of putting AI on 70% for one set of races, mistake, talk about being abused and bumped out of the way. I won but damn :lol: So far its very promising.

Dirt Rally is also out, I wonder how they compare. A mate from work has given it the thumbs up so far. Very difficult.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

That's good to know guys ^ I need a decent racing sim on Steam and I was hoping to get Project Cars this week but my appendicitis has thrown a spanner in the works and I can't sit up straight for very long without getting sore or the medication confusing me - nearly bought Watch Dogs again earlier I was that frocked :ph34r:  :D

Keep us posted on how it goes the next few days Joe and hopefully I'll pick it up sometime past the weekend. Dirt Rally also seems to be generating plenty of plaudits too which is great to see! 

I asked my good friend last night how he liked Dirt Rally since he has both games and he said "It's fucking amazing!" Best Rally Sim he's played, only issue hes encountered is force feedback with his wheel. IMO Dirt games aren't made for wheels. Using a wheel for Dirt would fatigue someone in top physical condition it's so much work.

Also he was having a terrible time with Project CARS, said frame rates were allover and it ran like crap even when at 720p with low settings, total opposite of my experience at 1080p high settings, so he rolled back his video card driver and now it works perfectly. Something to keep in mind if you're considering it. Personally as of today I would not buy Project CARS if you expect to hit the ground racing. I've spent more time tweaking my wheel settings to make it feel somewhat like it should than racing.

Again game runs and looks amazing but the controls are absolute shit with a wheel. Most especially under breaking. I have noticed some cars handle better than others so I'm hoping its a bug issue that an update will resolve in the future but I go from Karts which breaking is terribly harsh, like 0-100% with a tap, to Formula A where breaks are like a sponge. It needs sorting out.

I was a little intoxicated last night and bought Dirt Rally before I went to bed. I'll be giving it ago this weekend.

I use an Xbox controller but should look into getting a proper driving wheel, can get a half decent one for £60/70 these days.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg