Release Dates: Early Enlister Deluxe Edition - October 18th, 2016

Standard Edition - October 21st, 2016

Review AggregatorOpenCritic - 87 [Cross-Platform]

MetaCritic - 87 [XB1]

MetaCritic - 89 [PS4]

MetaCritic - 90 [PC]

Reviews

AusGamers - Joaby - 9.4 / 10 (PC)

The things I've complained about with Battlefield One--collision detection, Suez as a map, people who play Scout, matchmaking--these are all ignorable issues. And the fact of the matter is that DICE has created one of the flat-out best multiplayer games in years. And with 60hz servers from the get-go and no noticeable issues with hit detection, it has clearly learned from Battlefield 4's launch. The campaign is worth checking out, Operations delivers clear forward thinking for Battlefield as a series in a way I think Rush never really did, and the maps are absolutely spectacular. Battlefield One is utterly brilliant.

EGM - Nick Plessas - 8 / 10.0 (XB1)

Battlefield 1 does a service to the series’ core fanbase with a unique, yet strangely familiar take on World War I.

Forbes - Paul Tassi - 8 / 10.0 (XB1)

No one makes more beautiful shooters than DICE, but their gameplay still leaves something to be desired, despite what appeared to be a total refresh with the WWI setting. Fans of the series may look past these faults or even embrace them, but some of them are hard to get past, and can define the entire experience.

Game Revolution - Peter Paras - 4.5 / 5 stars (XB1)

Battlefield 1 isn’t just a great addition to the series, it arrives as a thunderous explosion that will impact the military shooter space for many years to come. A memorable single player campaign in an FPS is a rarity, and it delivers that without compromise. Operations is an instant classic for multiplayer lovers, while the other modes will keep you invested, supported by fantastic gameplay. Visually breathtaking and fun to play, DICE has delivered an instant classic that has raised the bar.

GameSpot - Miguel Concepcion - 9 / 10 (XB1, PC)

EA’s shooter franchise goes back in time to the end of the imperial age with spectacular results in both its single and multiplayer experiences.

GamesRadar+ - David Roberts - 4 / 5 stars (XB1, PC)

Battlefield's tried and tested multiplayer feels wonderfully at home in the WW1 setting, and the solo campaign tells interesting - if historically lightweight - stories.

GamingTrend - Mike Pearce - 95 / 100 (PC)

Like a bayonet charge to the face, Battlefield 1 packs a serious punch, and it looks damn good while doing it. With a revamped, emotionally charged campaign, the single-player experience is, without a doubt, the franchise’s best. The multiplayer combines solid classics and unbeatable mechanics with new modes that fit the WWI setting brilliantly. Could this be the Battlefield to end all Battlefields? It just might.

Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 4 / 5.0 (XB1)

Putting to rest any qualms about the World War I setting, Battlefield 1 is a true Battlefield game with everything you’ve come expect from the franchise.

Metro GameCentral - Unknown - 8 / 10 (XB1)

The First Word War setting feels a little less daring than you might’ve hoped, but as a complete first person shooter package this is one of the best of the generation so far.

NZGamer - Ben Wilson - 8.4 / 10.0 (PS4)

While the campaign’s experimental short stories may just be the most interesting thing about Battlefield 1, this is not a niche experience to accurately portray the history its borrowing. This is a Battlefield game, and that means World War One in the Battlefield style, with all the compromises therein.

Polygon - Arthur Gies - 9 / 10.0 (XB1)

Small issues aside, Battlefield 1 marks an impressive, risk-taking reinvention for the series. That the multiplayer is as good and distinctive as it is is less surprising than a campaign that takes a difficult setting and navigates it with skill and invention. The end result is a shooter than succeeded far beyond my expectations, and one that exists as the best, most complete Battlefield package since 2010.

Telegraph - Kirk McKeand - 4.0 / 5 stars

Usually I would not recommend a Battlefield game on the strength of its single-player, but Battlefield 1’s War Stories have toppled this tradition like a well-placed mortar to a windmill.

On the whole, though, Battlefield 1 is a fantastic game. If you want a shooter that replicates the epic scale of two armies at war, or one that prioritises tactical thought over twitchy trigger fingers, this is the FPS for you.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 8 / 10 (XB1, PC)

Operations mode is the standout addition to the multiplayer, bringing together the behemoths, the destruction, the hellish screams of people charging into the fight. I do wish that the single player had been able to push on and draw more from that excellent opening, but stepping back to the First World War helps to give Battlefield 1 a refreshing and invigorating veneer to the game, and it’s lost none of the series’ explosive gameplay in the process.

ThisGenGaming - Josh Perrins - 9 / 10.0 (XB1)

Ultimately, Battlefield 1 goes back to move forward and it’s a delight to experience. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a video game that dares to throw you into the horrors of a Great War and yet Battlefield 1 feels modern, something one might assume to be oxymoronic considering the setting of 1914-1918. Whilst other FPS games this year and in previous years have switched to jet-packing and wall-running, Battlefield 1 feels like its reinvigorated a genre that I had grown tired of in recent years. By making this risky decision, DICE and EA actually have proven you don’t need to go futuristic in-order to reinvigorate a genre. In fact, DOOM as well as Battlefield 1 this year prove to me that sometimes reverting back to the basics can be one of the most refreshing experiences possible.

USgamer - Kat Bailey - Review-In-Progress (XB1)

In general, I think there's a lot to like about Battlefield 1. It retains the best parts of the series—the vehicles, the scope, the weightiness of the action—while shaking things up just enough to be interesting. Whenever I start to grouse about it being too modern, I see a horse gallop past or a biplane fly overhead and I smile. This is Battlefield as it should be: a chance to dive into a series of historical battles and have fun.

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 90% (XB1)

DICE should be praised for taking the risky move and turning back the clock with Battlefield 1, both in terms of the era and the direction for the franchise. Very often these moves can cripple a series, but thankfully for us – and DICE – it’s a move that has revitalised the franchise.

Stevivor - Ben Salter - 9.5 / 10 (XB1, PC)

Battlefield 1 is the definitive Battlefield game not only of this generation, but this decade. By focusing on moments and emotional realism, rather than a continuous campaign, it’s crafted the best single-player experience of any Battlefield game, and backs it up with stellar multiplayer. Operations is the best addition in years, and the returning favourites suit the World War I theme to a tee.

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 4.5 / 5 stars (PC)

I’m glad to say that it’s a refreshing take on a single player campaign and its refined and robust multiplayer mode has thoroughly impressed me. Simply put, Battlefield 1 is the best Battlefield game yet, and I can’t wait to see what direction DICE and EA take the series from here.

Time - Matt Peckham - 4.5 / 5 (PC)

A stupefyingly gorgeous first-person shooter.

Digital Spy - Sam Loveridge - 4.5 / 5 stars (XB1)

Warfare has never looked so good. Battlefield 1 is brutally beautiful, even if you're just admiring the emotional power of a shelled-to-shit landscape that was once a picturesque village.

DICE has done something impressive with the War Stories, even if they are a little cheapened by the repetitive death of the multiplayer.

We love the new Operations and War Pigeons multiplayer modes too, as they add some much needed variety to our usual rotation of Rush and Conquest.

It's easily the best Battlefield we've had in years.

PC Gamer - Phil Savage - Review-In-Progress (PC)

Battlefield 1 is a fine take on the formula.

Digital Trends - Phil Hornshaw - 4 / 5 stars

By bringing the series to World War I, DICE has created a tighter, more intense take on the Battlefield formula.

Daily Dot - Mike Wehner - 5 / 5 stars (PC)

All things considered, Battlefield 1 is a refreshing, gorgeous shooter that breaks up the monotony of futuristic action games with solid mechanics and a setting that has never gotten the attention it deserves.

AngryCentaurGaming - Jeremy Penter - Buy (PC, PS4, XB1)

Attack of the Fanboy - William Schwartz - 3.5 / 5 stars (XB1)

A shift to shorter, more intimate stories alongside the impressive visual and audio presentation make Battlefield 1 one of the more enjoyable single player shooters from DICE in quite some time. While multiplayer is far less ambitious than we've seen in years prior, it still scratches that itch for Battlefield fans who crave the chaos and cooperation that only this series can deliver.

PlayStation Lifestyle - Mike Ashworth - 8.5 / 10 (PS4)

Battlefield 1 shows progress for the franchise in single-player storytelling, evolving from an experience that should probably be skipped over in favor of multiplayer, into something that everyone should play through at least once. Though there’s only a short amount of time spent with each set of characters, they carry the story well. What truly sells it for me, however, are the epic moments contained within every chapter. Of course, multiplayer is the real home of these epic moments, with “Only in Battlefield” experiences making Battlefield 1‘s player versus player modes unique and fun to play. Though the “1” in its name may officially stand for the Great War, it could also represent the rebirth of a franchise that took a bit of a beating with Battlefield 4, went down an awkward path with Hardline, before finally rising as the Battlefield title that simply all shooter fans must buy.

GamingBolt - Bill Smith - 8.0 / 10 (XB1)

Battlefield 1 manages to break up the monotony of current first person shooter trends by offering a fresh setting. Despite some issues, it offers one of the better Battlefield campaigns and a robust multiplayer component that will keep you hooked up for quite a while.

Destructoid - Zack Furniss - Review-In-Progress (PC)

I feel crazy saying this, but I actually want more of these stories. I hope that the Battlefield 1 season pass doesn't just include multiplayer content, but instead has more glimpses into the various lives of combatants throughout World War I. If EA DICE can maintain this quality, I'd like to see more of this documentary-style approach to storytelling.

PCWorld - Hayden Dingman - 4.5 / 5 stars (PC)

Battlefield 1's solemn campaign and over-the-top multiplayer may feel like polar opposites, but the complete package is all-around excellent.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10 (XB1)

If you’re looking to buy only one multiplayer FPS this year Battlefield 1 is more than worthy of cash – I honestly can’t envisage anything being better.

Ars Technica - Sam Machkovech - No Verdict (XB1, PC)

Special super-powered boats and airships also appear in Conquest mode, but only when one side dominates the other. As a result, they're not as impactful. In practice, they feel like a Mario Kart blue shell thrown at a racer who's already on track to winning a race handily. Conquest is a purely symmetrical battle, where both sides have equal shots at claiming and maintaining turf control. In the beta, super-powered craft turned the tide too severely and too often in Conquest; now, it's just a light perk to help way-behind teams have a little more hope in at least racking up XP or knocking out badge-related goals.

CGMagazine - Alex Avard - 8.5 / 10 (PS4)

A few minor shortcomings aside, Battlefield 1 is just the type of reinvigoration that the franchise needed.

IBTimes UK - Jake Tucker - 4.5 / 5 stars (PC)

Battlefield 1 is a bold reinvention of the Battlefield series, proving not only that DICE aren't afraid to move in brave new directions, but also that they have a genuine understanding of what makes a Battlefield game really tick. Series veterans will feel immediately at home in the multiplayer, while those scared by the online battlefields will find the campaign, while short, provides a great diversion and a good way to ease yourself into the chaotic world of Battlefield.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Brendan Caldwell - No Verdict (PC)

It is safely good. Even with the addition of Operations mode and the behemoths and the return to a more instinctively dramatic setting, it still feels like Battlefield.

Eurogamer - Martin Robinson - Recommended (XB1)

Battlefield remixes the formula for its move to WWI, resulting in a patchy but playable campaign and outstanding multiplayer.

Cheat Code Central - Patrick Tretina - 4.5 / 5 (PS4)

EA DICE came through in the clutch and provided an engaging title that’s both entertaining and challenging. Battlefield 1 is certainly worth your investment and should carry you well past fall and into the winter.

Slant Magazine - Aaron Riccio - 4.5 / 5 stars (PS4)

The player has full control of each character, but not their fate, and so the senselessness of war always sticks out.

PC Gamer - Phil Savage - 89 / 100 (PC)

By returning to the past, Battlefield 1 feels renewed. The best game in the series since Bad Company 2.

Game Informer - Matt Bertz - 9.25 / 10 (PS4, XB1, PC)

The World War I setting is a refreshing change of pace to the space shooters currently dominating the landscape

Easy Allies - Michael Huber - 4.5 / 5 stars (PC)

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Current Gen Call of Duty Community - Everyone who's first game was Advanced Warfare - 0/10

Werest game eva maid. U cannot wallrun n qwikscoping is hard bro. shupply drahps r called battlepaks n u dnt get cool guns in dem either. i not even play da game cos my parents only buy me 1 game a yaer at christmars but i no dis game is bad n cod will be better n i dnt care wot ppl say cos its true. bf1 also looks real bad n so boring and activonson are best n i cant wait to play infinute warefare cos it has lots of guns n cool stuff like taunts n riggs. my kd on black Oops 3 was also amazin n we have zambies too. bf1 baseically sucks n Ea suck so Cod wins agina. 

3 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Current Gen Call of Duty Community - Everyone who's first game was Advanced Warfare - 0/10

Werest game eva maid. U cannot wallrun n qwikscoping is hard bro. shupply drahps r called battlepaks n u dnt get cool guns in dem either. i not even play da game cos my parents only buy me 1 game a yaer at christmars but i no dis game is bad n cod will be better n i dnt care wot ppl say cos its true. bf1 also looks real bad n so boring and activonson are best n i cant wait to play infinute warefare cos it has lots of guns n cool stuff like taunts n riggs. my kd on black Oops 3 was also amazin n we have zambies too. bf1 baseically sucks n Ea suck so Cod wins agina. 

Just try a 360 bro, fuckin game is bruk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The game is so good at building emotion via the single player. There was a part during the second episode where I said out loud, "come on you mother fucker come on" as I am laying on the machine gun in an airplane. It's rare that I will get that into a moment in a game. There is something so brutal about World War 1 (and 2). On a side note I tried to 360 no scope mlg with scout last night and rightly had my head chopped off by a nice man on a pony.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD