TigerBurge

MENU

POLYGON

searchLOGIN

Here's how Xur is changing in Destiny: The Taken King

By Charlie Hall on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:09p @Charlie_L_Hall

SHARE TWEET

FOLLOW POLYGON NOW!

With the release of Destiny: The Taken King Bungie is mixing things up a bit. Not even the game's most popular merchant, the mysterious Xur, is immune to the changes in Year Two. Today, on the official Bungie blog, the team behind Destiny explained how his role is changing.

Every Friday brings a flurry of activity as Destiny devotees try to find out what Xur will have in stock. That leads to players endlessly debating the value of what he's selling, including Polygon's own Jake Lear. But it appears his stock of hard goods will be more limited going forward.

SUPPORTED BY

Infiniti

How Vanilla Became the Most Ubiquitous Flavor in the World

How Vanilla Became the Most Ubiquitous Flavor in the World

POWERED BYINFINITI

"Xur was a community 'loot drop,'" said senior design lead Tyson Green. "A shared rallying point that everyone could cheer or curse. In Year Two, Xur’s offerings have been changed so that he will select either a specific Exotic Weapon or an Exotic Engram for sale every week. This change is due primarily to our desire to give players more direct paths to acquiring the Exotics they want through Quests and gameplay experiences, and to avoid repetition in his inventory."

The change lines up with Bungie's earlier statement that they want to "breathe more life into the exotic game going forward" by making the acquisition of high-level gear the result of hard work, rather than sheer luck.

"Xur will also sell a new consumable," Green said, "called the Three of Coins, which gives bosses a chance to drop Exotic Engrams, including Weapon Engrams. These consumables have a cumulative luck effect, so even if one doesn’t net you a drop, the next one has a higher chance to do so.

"Lastly, Xur will also choose a Legacy Engram every week. These Engrams contain Year One Exotics (at Year One Attack and Defense levels) for players who want to finish up a Collection. They strongly bias towards Exotics not already in your Blueprint Collection, to help fill in the blank slots - excluding Mythoclast and Necrochasm, which are still only available from their Year One sources."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm right in thinking apart from 3 of coins Xur is pretty much useless?

I'm perfectly happy to do quests for exotics rather than Xur selling them.

Oh and I can use my motes for other shit.

May take a while to get through my 650+ coins or whatever I have.

Burnt a load of strange coins with Xur today, as the changes are quite significant.

He's selling a year one engram for collectors, but also the helment engram for year 2, 19 strange coins (not motes of light). I bought 6, got 4 different titan helmets (saint 14 is back), one for the hunter and one duplicate. Seemed to default to giving helmets for the character opening them (out of 6 I got 5 titan helmets) so may need to store some as well. Think I now have all the currently available titan exotic helmets.

No gun though but getting St14 back was great, 290 light as well

Burnt a load of strange coins with Xur today, as the changes are quite significant.

He's selling a year one engram for collectors, but also the helment engram for year 2, 19 strange coins (not motes of light). I bought 6, got 4 different titan helmets (saint 14 is back), one for the hunter and one duplicate. Seemed to default to giving helmets for the character opening them (out of 6 I got 5 titan helmets) so may need to store some as well. Think I now have all the currently available titan exotic helmets.

No gun though but getting St14 back was great, 290 light as well

Saint 14 will always be a game changer for PvE. Grats for dropping it Bob. Gonna try and get one shortly.

Is everyone blasting away there strange coins or are people keeping some back?

(Apart from Gary as I know he 600+ [emoji38])

Forum Signature Test.png

I used all of mine except for 10 or so.  I didn't have that many to use.  I spent a lot of them just before we found out that all of our year one stuff would become obsolete.  I need to get back to saving them up.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png