Black Friday highlights

J4MES OX4D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the refresh rates or what?

It boils down to two things: input lag and pixel density. Input lag is the time between you pressing a button and something happening on the screen. A telly isn't designed for rapidly changing inputs, it's one input (usually 30fps) which stays constant, aka movies and tv shows. Monitors are designed to handle this much more efficiently, hence their higher refresh rates.

Pixel density is how blurry the image is. This ks negated by how far you sit away from it though, but close up, a monitor will always be clearer than a telly. Tellies also tend to "blend" pixels to make the image smoother, which looks nice from ghe sofa but up close it just looks ugly.

banlol.png

When I first started looking to buy a flat screen, the general consensus was the human eye can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 until screen size is at least 50" or 55", depending on the person.  The only reason to go 1080 on a smaller set was that's native resolution if you're going to use it as a monitor.  The money was better spent for better contrast and higher refresh rates, as those were more visible to the viewer.

xmDF8cg.jpg

Doc > we've come a long way since then. Even the most rudimentary tellies that aren't cheap shit have decent refresh rates and colour depth. Out of curiosity, was the guy who told you that wearing a Best Buy shirt? :P

banlol.png

Doc > we've come a long way since then. Even the most rudimentary tellies that aren't cheap shit have decent refresh rates and colour depth. Out of curiosity, was the guy who told you that wearing a Best Buy shirt? :P

No, it was Consumer Reports comparisons, cnet reviews, etc

We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. On a regular basis in our HDTV reviews, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray and HD DVD players. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV....

....The extra sharpness afforded by the 1080p televisions he's seen is noticeable only when watching 1080i or 1080p sources on a larger screens, say 55 inches and bigger, or with projectors that display a wall-size picture. Katzmaier also says that the main real-world advantage of 1080p is not the extra sharpness you'll be seeing, but instead, the smaller, more densely packed pixels. In other words, you can sit closer to a 1080p television and not notice any pixel structure, such as stair-stepping along diagonal lines, or the screen door effect (where you can actually see the space between the pixels). This advantage applies regardless of the quality of the source.

http://www.cnet.com/news/720p-vs-1080p-hdtvs-2009-update/

Also Tommy, never, ever play PC games on a TV. That's sacrilege.

You might as well buy a Ferrari and drive it around on hubcaps.

Reminds me of Happy Gilmore. Chubbs: Spoken like a true asshole! :lol: And few people would be lucky enough to be able to afford Ferrari hubcaps; a god damn screw encased in methacrylate is $680.00. I'm all about PC gaming on my TV. I only have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor.1080p looks better in 55". ;)

On topic mother fuck Black Friday! My ass is in bed.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg