New PS4 Update

Stretch616

From C&VG today:

A home UI and Library redesign will be among several major improvements coming to PS4 via the upcoming 2.0 firmware update, codenamed Masamune.

In addition to previously announced YouTube support and Share Play features, Sony has confirmed the system will get themes, a USB music player, much improved live broadcasting abilities, and a new way of finding friends on PS4. In the announcement on Thursday, the company offered the first screenshots of the new firmware.

Here's the list of newly announced features:

USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.

Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.

Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know in the 'What's New' section, recommending gamers your friends frequently play with.

Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.

Content Area and Library: PS4's Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player's most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player's Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a - z or z - a), recently used, or install date.

Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say 'PlayStation' to begin commands, and 'All Commands,' to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including "Start broadcast," "End broadcast," and "Find face."

Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an 'Add to Library' button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner's library without downloading it - saving space on their hard drive.

Back Up Data: Data on PS4 can be backed up and resorted using USB storage. This will back up all data for the console, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more.

Sony confirmed at Gamescom in August that the long-awaited Share Play feature will be introduced to PS4 as part of firmware update 2.0, which due for release by Autumn. Share Play allows players to pass control of their game to another PS4 owner remotely via the internet.

The anticipated feature was first announced during the PS4 unveiling in February 2013, but missed the PS4 launch and was yet to surface on the console.

The PS4 firmware 2.0 update will also add video upload support for YouTube, along with "dedicated app support". The PS4's activity board, 'What's New', will also be revised.

Sony is yet to confirm a precise release date for the firmware.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From C&VG today:

A home UI and Library redesign 

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the UI, and actually miss the PS3's set up

Hell even the old school Xbox UI from 4 years ago was better

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Im a little confused as to how it works, can someone help?

Which way does the system work?

A.) So if my friend has a game I want to play, does he have to invite me to come play and then virtually 'give me the controller' whilst online

B.) I can just say I want to play one of his games and do it from my end, but he has to be online to accept?

C.) If he is asleep/PS4 off, I can click on his profile and then chose what game he has that I want to play?

In all circumstances I assume that he almost loses control of his PS4/ability to play another game whilst I am playing?

APmVvKG.gif

Official update notes

Main features in system software update version 2.00:

Players in a party can now use Share Play.

• With Share Play, two PSN players in the same party can share a game screen. The host (the user who initiates Share Play) and the guest (the user who joins Share Play) can play the same game together while watching the same screen, or the guest can take the place of the host and operate the host's game screen.
  • To initiate Share Play, select [share Play] from the party screen. Use of some features requires a PlayStation Plus membership.
  • Video clips can now be uploaded to YouTube.
  • You can now set themes for home screens and function screens for each user. Themes can be downloaded from PlayStation Store. Select themes in [settings] > [Themes].
  • You can now play music stored on USB storage devices. Connect a USB storage device containing music files (MP3 or AAC) to the PS4 system, and then select [uSB Music Player] from the content area.

Other new or revised features in system software update version 2.00:

Share:

The following features have been added to [Live from PlayStation]:

• You can now view broadcasts from the past.
  • Broadcasts can now be filtered by language. With the list of broadcasts displayed, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Language].
  • You can now follow your favorite channels or broadcasters.
  • [Featured) has been added. You can browse broadcasts such as PlayStation®-recommended broadcasts, broadcasts from Friends, and broadcasts you follow.
  • [Games] has been added. Broadcasts for each game are displayed.
  • Twitch icons can now be displayed in comments.

The following settings have been added to broadcasts. With the Share menu displayed, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [share Settings] > [broadcast Settings] > [Advanced Settings]:

• You can now display messages to spectators.
  • You can now include party voice chats in broadcasts. A player's voice will be included only if the setting to allow the player's voice to be broadcast is enabled in the party settings.
  • You can now adjust settings such as size, background, and effects of video content from the PlayStation Camera.
  • When you select [upload Screenshot] from the Share menu, you can now attach a screenshot to your message.
  • You can now trim your video clips in [Capture Gallery].

Settings:

• You can now set the length of time your controller will charge while your PS4 system is in Rest Mode (formerly known as Standby Mode – see below). Set the time in [settings] > [Power Save Settings] > [set Functions Available in Rest Mode] > [supply Power to USB Ports].
  • [View Guide] and [Commands for Voice Operation] have been added to [settings] > [system] > [Voice Operation Settings]. You can view a list of details and hints about operating the PS4 system with your voice.
  • [input Device] and [Output Device] have been added to [settings] > [Devices] > [Audio Devices]. Also, [Output to Headphones] in [settings] > [sound and Screen] > [Audio Output Settings] has moved to [settings] > [Devices] > [Audio Devices].
  • [Mouse] has been added to [settings] > [Devices].

Other:

• Names of players you may know can now be displayed in areas such as your Friends list or under What's New. You can set whether to display your real name and profile picture to other players you may know in [settings] > [PSN] > [Privacy Settings] > [Connecting with Friends] > [Players You May Know].
  • You can now search for players by entering their real names in areas such as [Friends]. You can set whether to display your real name and profile picture in other players' search results in [settings] > [PSN] > [Privacy Settings] > [Connecting with Friends] > [search].
  • You can now record a voice message by pressing the Triangle button in the [Messages] screen.
  • The layout of the [Party] screen has been improved.
  • The number of content items displayed in the content area has been changed. Content items that are not displayed can be reviewed in [Library]. You can review all content items in the content area by removing the checkmark from [Limit Number of Content Items on Home Screen] in [settings] > [system].
  • [PS button] now appears in some notification messages. You can view details about a message by pressing the PS button when the message is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.
  • When you connect a new device to your system, you can check the remaining battery charge in the system message that is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.
  • "Standby Mode" has been renamed "Rest Mode".

I don't think C is possible...

If your friend gives you the controller I get the impression they just have to watch what your doing...

You could also play together where permitted, you could play seasons on fifa together as if you were in the same room...or something like that.

blackops2sig.jpg