Books that you re-read periodically

Docwagon

I usually read fiction books once and that's it.  The exceptions are series that I'll reread the first one when the second one comes out, etc.  However there are a few complete series that I re-read every few years.

1) The Lord of the Rings

2) The Mistborn trilogy (I'm rereading it again right now, did 150 pages in one night.  I always smoke through these)

That's pretty much it, although I'm thinking of rereading Lonesome Dove.

So, what do you reread over and over every few years?

I've read Lord of the Rings a couple of times, first as a youngster and then when I heard they were making the film I re-read it in preparation. Better second time around.

Other than that I like to read:

'In Dubious Battle' by John Steinbeck at least once a year. I love the American writers of that generation but John's humanity puts him head and shoulders above the rest, at least for me.

'Nausea' by JP Sartre, have to re-read it everyone once in a while, always get something different from it.

I was also stuck on holiday once with only one book: "Bill the Galactic Hero" by Harry Harrison which I read twice by default. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Not many but I have read LOTR a few times, but not for a long time now

The only one that really springs to mind is Shogun, quite a famous book by James Clavell. The 'shogun' in question is a fantastic character , brilliant at avoiding the political traps of his many enemies

That's a damn long book to re-read :D

Great book though.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Robert Heinlein books:

Starship Troopers

The moon is a harsh mistress

Time enough for love

Jerry Pournelle:

Falkenbergs Legion (There are 4 in this series)

Every now and again I reread the Wheel of Time books, typically from Shadow Rising to Crown of Swords

Every now and again I will reread some of David Eddings books

Obviously Tolkein, but more so the Silmarillion and less so the LOTR

This list could get huge.

Lets try this, here are authors I read on a consistent basis,

Michael Moorcock

Dan Abnett

Michael Stackpole

David Sherman

Chris Bunch

John Wright

William Dietz

David Weber

Steve Perry

Steve White

IDK, I read all the time, but I reread loads of my books, I typically can do an average paperback in about a week, and I am constantly reading....

I actually have a huge problem adding new authors to my list. Most authors bore the shit out of me

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Guest Inception.

The Artemis Fowl series. My love for it is inexpressible and I swear to everything sacred if they fuck up this up-coming movie a lot of people are going to experience some serious pain.
I read the LotR trilogy here and there. 

The Power of Five is a series that I read here and there. 

And two separate books that I read all the damn time, Looking for Alaska and Intentional Dissonance. I'd recommend the latter to a lot of people.

Thank fuck there's finally someone else who loves Artemis Fowl!

I too share the hopes that they don't fuck up the film. Especially Butler and Mulch!

I've re read those loads of times, along with the Harry Potter series.

I'd swing the fiction direction because real life is boring as fuck.

8mSoOel.png

Thank fuck there's finally someone else who loves Artemis Fowl!

I too share the hopes that they don't fuck up the film. Especially Butler and Mulch!

I've re read those loads of times, along with the Harry Potter series.

I'd swing the fiction direction because real life is boring as fuck.

The Artemis Fowl series. My love for it is inexpressible and I swear to everything sacred if they fuck up this up-coming movie a lot of people are going to experience some serious pain.

I read the LotR trilogy here and there. 

The Power of Five is a series that I read here and there. 

And two separate books that I read all the damn time, Looking for Alaska and Intentional Dissonance. I'd recommend the latter to a lot of people.

I was lucky enough to meet Eoin Colfer at an event he held near me. Real funny and genuine guy. Managed to get my copy of Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox signed by him

Sir that is a fox!

But it's about an 11 year old criminal mastermind/genius/prodigy who discovers a whole new civilization of fairys and shit. You have to keep an open mind. If you like Harry Potter, you'll like these.

The police are called LEP Recon. (Lower Elements Police)

lol

I don't want to give too much away.

8mSoOel.png

I finished "Mistborn" in 3 days.  I'm so glad I reread this book, its just so...satisfying.  Its like no other piece of fiction I've read, its truly a masterpiece.

I'll finish out the series, then its back to the economics books I downloaded.

What is Mistborn about? I will look into it

I am going to jump into the Longmire novels next. The TV show is amazing, I can't help but think the novels will be just as good

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

What is Mistborn about? I will look into it

I am going to jump into the Longmire novels next. The TV show is amazing, I can't help but think the novels will be just as good

At its most simple level, its a rebellion against a cruel and uncaring dictator in a fantasy world.

The magic is based on metals.  Allomancy is the the ability to ingest certain metals, "burn it" inside of you, and get a supernatural ability.  Most people can't burn metal.  Some can burn one metal and get one power.  A very few can burn all the metals and are called "mistborn".

Each metal does only one thing, and its alloy does the opposite.  Iron will let you push a metal object for example, while steel will let you pull it.  So, someone who burns steel could hunker down behind a wooden shield and draw all the enemy's arrows, and someone who burns iron could push them back at them, or "shoot" coins.  Physics still applies, so if the object is heavier than you or can't move, you will either be pulled toward it or thrown.  So, iron would let you "fly" up a wall if you pulled on a fixed piece of metal on the gutter.  Steel would let you "fly" if you pushed off a coin on the ground, but only in straight lines.  That's why mistborn are so powerful, they can combine the powers to do things.  If you just pushed off a coin and landed hard, you'd hurt or kill yourself.  Mistborns can burn pewter to make themselves tougher to counter act that.  Someone who only burns pewter can make themselves tough and strong, but has no way to counteract gravity or intercept metal projectiles.

The nobility have almost all of the allomantic power, but a few halfbreeds in the peasant population also has it, and they lead a rebellion.

DON"T RESEARCH IT, JUST READ IT.  ITS AWESOME.

Brandon Sanderson right? My brother loves those books, haven't gotten around to reading them myself.

I used to read a ton, now hardly ever. I've reread the first four books of Stephen King's Dark Tower series a few times as well as David Edding's Belgariad and Malorean seriesesses (sp?). I will be rereading the entire Wheel of Time saga; I stopped after Crown of Swords and decided to wait until all the books were published. Guess it's time to get on that.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Brandon Sanderson right? My brother loves those books, haven't gotten around to reading them myself.

I used to read a ton, now hardly ever. I've reread the first four books of Stephen King's Dark Tower series a few times as well as David Edding's Belgariad and Malorean seriesesses (sp?). I will be rereading the entire Wheel of Time saga; I stopped after Crown of Swords and decided to wait until all the books were published. Guess it's time to get on that.

Yup.

I read Belgariad a long time ago, I think while I was still in the Army.  I don't remember a lot of it, but they were good.  I may revisit them at some point.

I did the same thing with the Sword of Truth series as you did with WoT.  I read the first two and then said I'd wait.  I've never gotten back to them, either.

My only problem with the Balgariad series is it falls into Eddings trap of only XX person can solve YY problem.

The Tamuli and Mallorean series were the same.

The Althalus book was decent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Redemption_of_Althalus

and was amusing because it was just so over the top

I stopped reading SoT after Faith of the Fallen for the same reason. lol

Have you ever read Ayn Rand? I've read Atlas Shrugged like four times. Terry Goodkind is an Ayn Rand guy and it becomes really really really obvious in Faith of the Fallen. Which I was fine with, but I've read a fair amount of criticism that Terry got too philosophical as the series progressed.

My only problem with the Balgariad series is it falls into Eddings trap of only XX person can solve YY problem.

The Tamuli and Mallorean series were the same.

The Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium, and Tamuli are all basiclly the same story reskinned. I read them when I was quite young though and such things didn't bother me. :D

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Eddings and Feist do the same thing. It was fine at first, but not so much now

One series I should reread at some point is Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept trilogy. According to my hazy memory it was very different, quirky, and entertaining.