Bloodborne - SPOILER ALERT!!!

Jason

First impressions:

I realise that this game is meant to be hard and all that, but the lack of any info or tutorial stuff is a stupid move. The HUD has no explanation at all although it's fairly self explanatory. The only thing I couldn't figure out in the hour or two I played was the XP system, basically nothing in the top right makes any sense. It's just numbers which go up when I kill something, but that's it. If that's XP, then there's really no excuse for having a level number next to it or a progress bar. 

The story, or lack thereof, is also stupid. So far I've woken up, been killed by a rabid dog, ended up in some dream thing where little skeletons come out of the ground and hand me letters with some basic shit to get started. The inventory is stupid, again no explanation. Still no idea about this parrying stuff you guys are on about. The lamps, or checkpoints are too small. A map of sorts would be great as well, but then again it could have a negative effect on the setting of the game. 

What are the things I'm killing? They look like farmers which have turned into scarecrows with the slowest muscles known to man. They also speak like cockneys, which is a bit odd. Why is everything trying to kill me? The only person who hasn't tried to kill me is the doctor lady right in the beginning, behind a locked door who gives me a blood thingy and then tells me I should be hunting and asks me to leave her alone. Don't even know what she looks like, but she must be a bit odd if she's giving blood to random people. 

There are also numbers next to health bars on bad guys, dunno what that is either. Seems to be levels, but they change every respawn, unless it's some random shit. 

The combat however is great. The ability to take on four straw men with pitch forks, torches, cleavers and even some ancient rifle and chop them all into bits in a matter of seconds is great. The combat really is what this game is all about for me. Granted it's still very early for me to comment on other stuff but I'll get there. 

I just feel that the setting of the game is completely dead. Everything wants to kill me for no reason, the whole city is some goth shit with no explanation of what world this is, I've come across a few monsters which are just there. They could be from the underworld, some evil force could've summoned them, they could've fallen out the sky, they could've grown in lovely sunny fields on daisy plants and then turned into murderous thugs with fucking huge cleavers that want to chop my head off. Fuck knows. And that's what lets this game down for me. I should at least have some tidbit of info, some scrap of story, even just a newspaper article lying on the ground to indicate something. Anything. 

But no. "Here, take this gun and this cleaver, go back into this world you know fuckall about and kill shit. Kthnxbai".

That combat though.... hell yes.

banlol.png

All the negatives you posted are why Dark Souls fans (and now Bloodborne fans) love the game.

- You don't get xp, you get Blood Echoes. You can spend these to level up, buy equipment or other items and as part of upgrading your weapons. There's no level next to it, that's your insight. Insight is used to allow co-op play and also to progress the game at certain amounts (e.g after you gain your first insight you can upgrade at hunters dream)

- The story is all there to be seen, they just leave you to work it out. Between messages, cutscenes and dialogue you can get a pretty good idea of what's going on. There were communities obsessed with the lore of Dark Souls and Bloodborne is doing the same.

- The enemies you're referring to are hunter mobs. They supposedly hunted the werewolves etc. but got infested themselves. FOr a list of enemies see here - http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies

- The only numbers I can think of by enemies health bars are the damage numbers. They stack with multiple hits.

- Combat is great  :D

- There are scraps of lore around, messages, cutscenes, dialogue etc. You'll get there  :lol:

Cheers Jordie!

I've got a few of those blood echoes already, how do I spend them?

Also, in the first 10-15 mins, in the courtyard where you first leave the doctor's place, you can hear a massive monster thing walking around. I've found a way to get to it, am I meant to take it on? I've tried once but he swatted me like a fly.

On the other end of the same road, there's a monster trying to batter the city door down. I avoided it as I wa ted to find another lamp before doing anything stupid but something else killed me so I'm back to the beginning again.

It's a great game, I just need to get my head around it, it's all a bit deep end at the moment.

banlol.png

Cheers Jordie!

I've got a few of those blood echoes already, how do I spend them?

Also, in the first 10-15 mins, in the courtyard where you first leave the doctor's place, you can hear a massive monster thing walking around. I've found a way to get to it, am I meant to take it on? I've tried once but he swatted me like a fly.

On the other end of the same road, there's a monster trying to batter the city door down. I avoided it as I wa ted to find another lamp before doing anything stupid but something else killed me so I'm back to the beginning again.

It's a great game, I just need to get my head around it, it's all a bit deep end at the moment.

You can buy equipment and items from a merchant in the middle of hunters dream, more items and merchants become available as you progress. Once you defeat the first boss the doll at hunters dream wakes up and you can use it to level up. You can also head inside the building in hunters dream to upgrade your weapons

You don't have to take on that monster, and it doesn't drop anything interesting. If you learn to properly dodge and time your shots you should be able to take it on however.

You will have to fight a lot more of those brick guys later so you may as well get some practice in. Again, fire you gun just before it attacks and strike to do a ton of damage. You can drop them in 1 or 2 hits that way.

You'll get there in the end  :lol:  :lol:

Pretty much what jordie said, the story is ment to be vague, nothing is spelled out for you aside from the most basic concepts. They want you to decide what is going on, where you should go next, and to figure out what the story means to you. There is a story, it's just not spelled out.

Now for a tip : Read item descriptions. All of them. From everything. As soon as you can. It will really fill in the blanks.

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

Got abit further over the last few nights. As Jason said on the other thread, Old Yarnham is a bitch and i need to find a way past that prick of machine gun dickhead.

Didds - It's a frustrating start, i agree but thats why I'm still playing. Hoping, ney praying, to get to abit where i can understand more...and shoot and slash some monsters in a frickin awesome way.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Just had my best attempt yet. I'm still not out of the city centre. I killed the ogre thing, managed to kill him a few times now. Then proceeded down the high street and killed everything along the way, only to leave the gates and get battered by that brick thing. Would be nice if I knew where the next lamp was, this stretch is starting to do my head in!

Magnificent game, it must be said. The combat is so damn rewarding. Still haven't sussed out how to upgrade shit though, not that it matters 'cos all my soul stuff is scattered around my hundreds of corpses around the city.

banlol.png

How do i use blood gems? I'm trying to use with my weapons but for some reaon i cant forge them together.

All you do is go to the workshop where you upgrade weapons and put them in. They have to match shape wise, and the more your weapon is upgraded the more fit.

I assume you found the gem workshop tool, right?

All you do is go to the workshop where you upgrade weapons and put them in. They have to match shape wise, and the more your weapon is upgraded the more fit.

I assume you found the gem workshop tool, right?

Err, that'll be a no. How have i missed this?!

I honestly don't know much about blood gems, maybe this wiki link can help?

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Gems

Thanks Jordie, i was thinking you had to upgrade with blood shards first then you can use a gem but I've obviously missed a certain tool which would now make sense.

Err, that'll be a no. How have i missed this?!

Where you fought papa Gascoyne (sp) and you head towards the Cathedral ward, the only way you can go, and if memory serves me right there is a chest in the library looking room in the left. It's in there if I remember right.

Where you fought papa Gascoyne (sp) and you head towards the Cathedral ward, the only way you can go, and if memory serves me right there is a chest in the library looking room in the left. It's in there if I remember right.

I'm going there right now!

Also, this gun toting part is recking me. I got close to the end in a safe spot after 5/6 tries and then, as a dick, tried to kill that other hunter. Nearly had him and went for glory and got hammeres by the gun. I must get past this part tonight of it kills me. Will gems help massively?

I'm going there right now!

Also, this gun toting part is recking me. I got close to the end in a safe spot after 5/6 tries and then, as a dick, tried to kill that other hunter. Nearly had him and went for glory and got hammeres by the gun. I must get past this part tonight of it kills me. Will gems help massively?

Not massively, I'm still at that part, haven't had a chance to play again.

Did you perhaps find the red brooch I mentioned?

Not massively, I'm still at that part, haven't had a chance to play again.

Did you perhaps find the red brooch I mentioned?

Yep, got that, thanks. The axe is proving the best weapon to use in combination with the pistol but I'm trying to use the hunter torch which works slightly better in this part.

Just got the tool and its added a few points on to the attack which I'm sure will help...and will rejuvenate my health by +1