70th anniversary d day

techno

I love stuff about ww2 so I've been watching some of the programs, the one thing that always gets me is how even now the veterans still break down when talking about what went during the war.

I have great great respect for both veterans and soldiers today who put themselves in the firing line.

These interactive photos were on facebook

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/ng-interactive/2014/jun/01/d-day-landings-scenes-in-1944-and-now-interactive

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/06/06/319531448/wwii-vet-awol-from-nursing-home-found-at-normandy-ceremonies

Reading about WWII makes me feel like a sorry excuse for an American. *salutes our veterans, those alive and those no longer with us*

Our WWII vets are a rapidly diminishing resource that must be cherished. If you know one, hug him and listen to his stories. Better yet, record his stories so that they are never lost.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Our WWII vets are a rapidly diminishing resource that must be cherished. If you know one, hug him and listen to his stories. Better yet, record his stories so that they are never lost.

That's the truth. We are losing the last of the Greatest generation at a rapid rate the past decade now. Anyone knows a WWII vet, sit down and talk to him for a while, you'll hear some of the most amazing stories you have ever in your life heard. I've known a few WWII vets over the years and the stories they would tell just blew my mind. It's like sitting and staring into a live history book.

It puts everything into perspective what those veterans and their fallen soldiers did for us and our futures. Looking at the world today; it's very depressing and I think far too many people don't realise their contribution and sacrifice made. I am privileged to have known many vets in my time and I always love a good old story down the pub from them. It certainly beats talking to some modern day tart bitching about one of her friends or her love life. I appreciate so much what they have done for everyone but too many in this day and age don't have a fucking clue. I was taken aback the tributes the other day and the scenes and it was a truly special moment even in my generation. 

Even the cunts at Google forgot to do the tribute on their homepage doodles. Fucking sums up this shitty modern, ignorant and horrible era that we live in today.  

Even the cunts at Google forgot to do the tribute on their homepage doodles. Fucking sums up this shitty modern, ignorant and horrible era that we live in today.

I noticed that as well. Amazingly they can remember to do something for some of the most mundane bullshit inventions or B-days of some almost unknown insignificant person, yet not even a hint of anything for the WWII vets.

Haven't got the link to had, but was reading about a WW2 vet who's care home said he couldn't visit Normandy. So he goes out for a "walk" but doesn't return. A couple of days later he turns up in Normandy safe and sound fully kitted out in his uniform, complete with medals!!

Unbelievable nature and resolve from these Veterans that is missing from modern day society. The world owes these people a massive amount of gratitude and it is so sad to see them treated poorly or their needs/wants ignored.

Fair fucks to them all. You'll never be forgetten in our household or families

The terror they must have felt in the landing craft, knowing a machine gun is about to cut you down as the door opens....Thinking " if i am going to die here and now, then i hope that my death counts for something, that we make a difference"

The best way to honour them, is to ensure that each and every death in WWII was not in vain. that each death was a sacrifice made to better our world.

so it is with this in mind, that i am absolutely disgusted to see the BNP using D-Day pictures to promote their facebook page. Nazi thugs and fascist pigs were who the Allies were fighting. Now we have scum like the BNP jumping on the back of it. its downright outrageous.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Haven't got the link to had, but was reading about a WW2 vet who's care home said he couldn't visit Normandy. So he goes out for a "walk" but doesn't return. A couple of days later he turns up in Normandy safe and sound fully kitted out in his uniform, complete with medals!!

Unbelievable nature and resolve from these Veterans that is missing from modern day society. The world owes these people a massive amount of gratitude and it is so sad to see them treated poorly or their needs/wants ignored.

I love this story, this guy is epic and still carries that spirit that got us through the war

I love this story, this guy is epic and still carries that spirit that got us through the war

That good of a story though it's worth mentioning twice+

Indeed.

Also seeing the incredible reception the vets got at Normandy is enough to restore one's faith in humanity. Unfortunately, this will be the last major anniversary for many if not most of them.

My wife's father was on the USS Pennsylvania in the South Pacific during WWII, unfortunately, he passed away a few months before we met. I would have loved to have met him.

(Side note, he died of mesothelioma from the asbestos in the ship. Being an electrician, he was often up in those insulated ducts. Damn you asbestos.)

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.