Diet tips?

Xethius

Got an idea from steve's workout thread. I really really need to get back inshape, i've been feeling really depressed of how i let myself go.

Do you guys have any tips on what i can eat thats reasonably affordable? My whole diet is pretty much junk. I drink tons of pop and eat shit like chips and cheezeits. I rarely have a "whole" meal. 

I'm at 6/3 and a half and 250lbs now, i'd like to get down to 210 with a muscular well built frame. I already have my workout routine that im gonna start up again. I guess i'm aiming to burn fat. 

So what are some possible drinks i can replace pop with? It cant just be water as i get sick of it very quickly(can force myself to drink a gallon a day if i have to) 

Some lunch and mid day snacks? I usually eat some sort of cereal and i try and eat dinner although, again all junk lol.

I appreciate it guys :) I need to do this for myself before i get a health scare. 

Spectre/Dr Diamond will be able to help you out.

Spectre can help with diet while Dr Diamond can advise on how to take a gay ass photo of yourself 10 weeks in to your transformation.

I'm currently trying to diet. I've cut out fizzy drink and I've also stopped snacking after my dinner. Doing OK so far.

I was the same way with drinking tons of pop back before I lost all the weight. What I did was a started buying these http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Punch-Fruit-8-Count-Packets/dp/B000I62U0O you can actually buy them at the dollar store $1 for a box of 8, or Walmart or most other stores for about $1.25 there.  They come in about 12-15 different flavors and only have 10 calories per packet. Just dump one in a bottle of water and your good to go. That's mainly what I drink these days.

Far as snacks there are some low calorie low fat snacks like popcorn (no or low butter no salt) or even pretzels are pretty low calorie as well. Honestly though it's all about portion control. For your body weight you probably need about 2,200-2,400 calories per day to maintain your weight. So to lose weight just start cutting down to about 1,500 per week and you will start dropping 3 lbs per week at that rate.

Also cut out the high calorie fatty chips and replace them with these as snacks http://www.specialk.com/en_us/products/cracker-chips.html That's the ones I eat now with a meal. Much lower calorie and better for you. Again though the main thing is not totally "what" you eat, but "how much" you eat. All about portion control so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the advices guys :) Steve, i think you just opened my eyes about portion control. I have absolutely none of it! When i get something to eat, anything at all i eat all of it right then and there. Even if i'm not hungry. So i think thats my biggest concern there to portion out my stuff, itll be hard but i have to. I have no idea what my daily cal intake is, but if i had to guess itd probably be up to 4o00. If i have a 12 pack of pop i have no problems drinking 8 of those in a day especially when im gaming. 

I do like sweet tea, but dont those have just as much cal and sugar as pop? The only reason why i drink so much pop is because i'm addicted to caffiene and the thirst quenching that it does. I'm gonna take your advice man those snacks look good too, but i know the special k ones are costly over here. Will little hugs suffuce too? i think they have only 10 cals per barrel. 

Ehh yeah those teas do have a lot of sugar but I like to think they aren't AS bad as soda :) Some are better than others, brisk is loaded with sugar but some others don't have so much....can't remember the brand name I buy a lot.

Yeah the special K chips are not cheap, I usually pay about $5 for a large size box at Walmart and they only last a few days even with spacing them out with meals. Tryin work on the portion control, sounds like you are the way I use to be, use to if I opened something then I would eat till it was all gone/empty. That's what gets you in trouble is doing that. Don't drop right down to small portions right away because you will feel way too hungry because you are use to eating more. Just try to start tapering down the portion size over the next 2 weeks till you are down to the portion sizes that will give you the calories you want per day.

Also make sure to have a "eating day". What I mean by that is the way I do it is like right now I am back on the diet so I stay at 1,200 per day right now 6 days a week, then on the 7th day I eat about 2,500-3,000 calories. That way it gives you a day to look forward too so you don't feel you are not eating what you want. Just makes it much easier to stay on a good eating plan that way.

I wouldn't go anywhere near those special k snacks tbh no nutritional value how about snacking on nuts or I also snack using celery with organic peanut butter.

Cook up some meats and snack on that.

Theres lots of info on diets, but you really need a whole lifestyle change. Try to cut out as much processed food as possible, not easy on a low budget but not impossible.

Just off now to make a protein shake...breaks up the water drinking.

I wouldn't go anywhere near those special k snacks tbh no nutritional value

I never said to eat them for nutritional value. The thing is most things that are nutritious don't really satisfy that urge/craving for comfort/good tasting snacks. The Special K chips are very tasty, plus they only have 50 calories per 14 chips, where as regular chips have 160 calories per 15 chips. So I eat 14 chips along with a whole wheat bread/fat free cheese sandwich mid day and it is only 170 calories and not full of fat, bad carbs or other bad stuff. To stay on a good eating diet for any real length of time you need to mix in some foods that are not necessarily quite nutritious, but simply are much better for you than salt/fat/calorie laden regular chips. That's where the Special K chips come in.

Thats fair enough, I did make other suggestions. Some good tasting snacks etc feed the craving for more where as more nutritional stuff should fill you for longer and hopefully cut down on cravings and unnecessary snacking, at the end if the day its what works for the individual, I know if I opened anything like that its too tempting to eat the lot maybe not at once but a lot quicker than you do, so respect to your will power.

It's still hard even two years later for me to not eat more than a set amount when it comes to any sort of chips. Hell I use to finish a whole tall can of Chedder cheese Pringles in less than 15 mins before I started on this path I'm on now.

....Damnit now I want pringles :lol:

i dont have alot of time right now, but i will start off with a few things

- start a PPR in the member section, and record eveything you eat,everyday, no matter how small, and do this for a week. dont just say, oh i had a tuna salad. what was in it, how big etc ? dont assume you ate "1000 cals worth of this and 500 of that" studies show that people easily underestimate the calories they consume.

- how much sleep do you get, what exercise do you do?, what hours do you work, what sports/hobbies/other physical activities do you do?

- do you have any medical conditions that would stop you eating a certain food group or doing exercise ( not after a personal medical history, but obviously something like diabetes, or a broken leg, are going to mean you have to change things a little bit)

- do you have access to a gym or any gym equipment ?

finally, dont fixate yourself on a target weight. muscle weighs more than fat. weighing yourself is a tool to see progress, but it is not the best measure. what you ate, how much water you drank, time of day etc, all influence your weight. so you want to weigh yourself once per week, on the same day at the same time (eg on a friday morning before work, or a monday afternoon before lunch etc)

- building muscle requires a calorie excess. this is fact. you cannot build muscle when you are not eating enough calories.

- losing fat is 95% what you eat, and 5% the exercise you do. The exercise burns hell of a lot less calories that you think. it is the catalyst to get you motivated, to improve your health, strength and to help burn off calories, but it will be pointless (in terms of fat loss) if you are still eating 4000 cals of junk food a day

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Stop eating crisps, that's begging to get fat. I know from experience... I also used to eat a lot of fries all the time.

Eat more protein, greens, flax/sunflower seeds. Protein makes you feel full faster. Some people take away fat from their diet, some reduce their carb intake. Carbs are the ones that are mostly gonna get stored as fat if you don't exercise though, see what works best for you.

Skip sugar.

Eat regularly, but not too much. Just enough to make you not feel satisfied. Eat more after excercise.

Drink plenty of water throughout the day, drink a couple of glasses extra before workout and after of course. Try running for at least 30 minutes every day or if you have a bike, start with riding it 45-60 minutes every day at a higher gear. 

Something that can help even more: Do you like hot food? Capsaicine helps the fat burning process. So does an amino acid called L-carnitine, you can find it for cheap as a dietary supplement. Other than that, make sure your body gets all the vitamins it needs.

And as Adam said, don't fixate yourself on weight in numbers. I don't recommend using a scale to measure your progress as it's very misleading. Look in the mirror and take photos on a regular basis, easier to notice any actual difference, this will help you boost your self-esteem.

what you ate, how much water you drank, time of day etc, all influence your weight. so you want to weigh yourself once per week, on the same day at the same time (eg on a friday morning before work, or a monday afternoon before lunch etc)

That's something that I have found to be so hard to do. Adam is 100% correct, weigh at the same time each day wearing the same thing. It's hard to resist weighing every day or two though. I still find myself weighing at least 5 times per week even though I know I should not be.

its almost all diet dude. you gotta find the motivation from within. what is the difficult part?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten