It's been that time of year for bikers to break out their bad attitudes and hit the road. I'm days away from getting my mom’s 1976 Suzuki GT185 Adventurer up and running again! I’m very excited to say the least. I've never driven a bike and don’t have my license (don't laugh ^_^) but first things first, I need a bike, so I took it up to my in-laws on Saturday and spent a good chunk of the weekend with my girls dad taking it apart, cleaning, polishing and assessing what parts I need. It's lived in a shed forever; it's last inspection was in 1985 (me having it earlier was never an option, it took my grandparents passing away for my mom to let me take it because she has nowhere to put it!) so it ends up I only need a battery, spark plugs, two stroke reservoir oil cap, air filters, side panel clips and tires eventually. I'm going after work to try and order the filters and clips. The bike is 100% original! And yes I had it in my living room :lol:

10156012_10152336721153890_1251638057643

This should be a developing thread so please share your bikes and stories!

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

and tires eventually. 

Tires now.  Old motorcycle tires are dangerous.  They may have lots of tread left, they may not be dry rotted, but they aren't as soft as they should be.  6 years is generally quoted as the maximum for tires to still be safe to use at highway speeds, although some folks insist 10 years is ok.

Otherwise, have fun, and wear your fucking helmet.  Even if you never crash, it'll save your hearing.  Riding without ear protection or a full face helmet at highway speeds = saying "Huh?" a lot when you get older.

I have a quick and extremely embarrassing bike story.

Bought a brand new kawasaki ninja when I was 20 I think, got it home in truck. Got it out of truck. Started it up. All good.

Dropped the clutch, did a unintentional wheely and dumbed that mother fucker right on the driveway. While my future father in law watched, I might add.

Not one of my finer moments. Sold it back to the dealer the next day and proceed to pay the balance off for the next 3 years....

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

I have five motorcylces in my garage, none run anymore, I'll give you a good deal on any or all of them. :D

I HIGHLY recommend taking a motorcycle safety course. The one I took was Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning: half in the class room, half in the saddle. They provide the bikes. At the end of the course, those of us who passed got a certificate which we were able to take to the RMV and get our motorcycle licences. It was the best thing I could've done and it made me a better driver, on the bike and in the car.

Also, I'll emphasize what Doc said about hearing protection. I always where a full face helmet and use ear plugs, the wind noise will do a number on your hearing fast.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

My trip to the local bike shop was a successful one! I was able to get the clips and filters which are both still available OEM! Looks like I'll be able to replace what I need if I find any more things that need replacing.

Good luck with that!

Ive just got back from 1300 miles in 5 days through five European countries on my bike and it broke me but I love every aspect of biking! :)

img

That sounds amazing! A gentleman I work with was telling me his son was doing something similar to that. Starting in Italy. I'd imagine it was an amazing experience for you! And beautiful bike. I really like the body and component colors.

Pretty cool. Be careful out there, the way people drive these days you need to make sure you ride with your head on a swivel.

Yes sir, thank you! Safety is a huge concern of mine.

Tires now.  Old motorcycle tires are dangerous.  They may have lots of tread left, they may not be dry rotted, but they aren't as soft as they should be.  6 years is generally quoted as the maximum for tires to still be safe to use at highway speeds, although some folks insist 10 years is ok.

Otherwise, have fun, and wear your fucking helmet.  Even if you never crash, it'll save your hearing.  Riding without ear protection or a full face helmet at highway speeds = saying "Huh?" a lot when you get older.

Thank you, I have every intention of buying new tires. By eventually I meant after we get it apart, cleaned and running. The tires are 38 years old! I agree new tires are an absolute must. Plan is to take the rear fender apart, front and rear tires off to clean and inspect parts and things tucked up in the frame next. When the rims are off I'll get some new rubbers.

I've been looking at helmets and I want a full face. A matte black Schuberth S2 to be exact. I like to keep my skull in it's current configuration. Top speed of the bike is supposed to be 65 MPH. With my big ass on it I might stay off the highway for fear of being pulled over for going too slow :lol:

I have five motorcylces in my garage, none run anymore, I'll give you a good deal on any or all of them. :D

I HIGHLY recommend taking a motorcycle safety course. The one I took was Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning: half in the class room, half in the saddle. They provide the bikes. At the end of the course, those of us who passed got a certificate which we were able to take to the RMV and get our motorcycle licences. It was the best thing I could've done and it made me a better driver, on the bike and in the car.

Also, I'll emphasize what Doc said about hearing protection. I always where a full face helmet and use ear plugs, the wind noise will do a number on your hearing fast.

Please PM me images and make/model/mileage info!

I plan on taking a very similar class. It's 2 days and will grant me my license when complete. I've asked people and they've all said positive things about it and that it's a must. I'm excited to take it.

I do appreciate the guidance. It makes me wonder about all the bozos riding around with illegal skull caps they've put vinyl DOT stickers on, so they appear legal, riding around with no ear protection? Future Gary Buseys :lol:

img

Some people ride on the dirt! KTM 200xc, tons of two stroke fun :)

Nice!

This is the bike I own. The colour scheme is different though, mine is mostly black with just a red stripe down the side where that blue is.

Honda%20CBR%20400RR%2090.jpg

Problem is that I'm not allowed to ride it legally and it's been out of commission for nearly 2 years :(

It's gonna cost a fortune to get it back up and running.

8mSoOel.png

IT'S ALIVE!!! Filled and installed the battery last night also found the petcock is leaking a little so I ordered another one this morning. Sucks though, I had a game last night and had to leave before my father in-law tried to start it. So I get a call and I'm like "Hello. Hello? HELLO!" I pause and hear magic happening. He told me he turned the key hit the button and it fired right up! Getting closer and closer every day. :)

This is the bike I own. The colour scheme is different though, mine is mostly black with just a red stripe down the side where that blue is.

img

Problem is that I'm not allowed to ride it legally and it's been out of commission for nearly 2 years :(

It's gonna cost a fortune to get it back up and running.

Sweet! I'm not going to ask why you can't ride it legally I'll just let my imagination take over. :ph34r:

This is the shit I want

img

That's bad ass! You ever play the Tron: Evolution game?

Otherwise, have fun, and wear your fucking helmet.  

Doc, no worries. Joe wears a helmet every day!! :ph34r:

On a serious note, love the bikes but I have no interest in riding. One, I don't trust the other drivers out there and two, I love to speed and I can only imagine how much trouble I could get into. 

Be safe guys!!

Doc, no worries. Joe wears a helmet every day!! :ph34r:

On a serious note, love the bikes but I have no interest in riding. One, I don't trust the other drivers out there and two, I love to speed and I can only imagine how much trouble I could get into.

Be safe guys!!

Oh I have to say your spot on you certainly get a sixth sense for other road users as for the speed it is addictive but rather than outright speed its the acceleration that's the biggest buzz.

Little confession still expect a speeding ticket from last week!

I seriously miss riding. I mostly rode little 50cc two strokes but once we installed some kit, they packed over 20bhp (23 being my record) and put any sports car to shame until about 100kph. I did also have a 600cc thumper for a while but I never had a licence for it so it had to go. 

I want to ride again, but my wife would be a nervous wreck. I really do miss it though. 

Might get a 125 scooter for the daily commute, as we don't achieve speeds high enough to warrant anything bigger in London. 

50s are fun as hell too. We embarrassed so many bigger bikes and cars it's insane. We literally poured every penny we had into those things, and the result was 23bhp on something which weighed about as much as a paperclip. Add the CVT and you can see why they were such monsters. Also, the sound of a screaming two stroke, coupled with the unmistakeable smell of synthetic oil burning, and.... well:

Then the cops got hold of it, stuck it on a dyno, and I got it back with the entire engine, exhaust, clutch and variomatic all taken out. Basically all the parts with "MHR" written on them, which stands for Malossi Hyper Racing. 

Nicasil lining, one piston ring, 70cc. 28mm Mikuni flatslide carburettor, Polini For Race exhaust, Top Performances crank shaft, and a TON of other bits and bobs. All gone. About £2k to replace, which is pretty much everything when you're young. 

banlol.png

I seriously miss riding. I mostly rode little 50cc two strokes but once we installed some kit, they packed over 20bhp (23 being my record) and put any sports car to shame until about 100kph. I did also have a 600cc thumper for a while but I never had a licence for it so it had to go. 

I want to ride again, but my wife would be a nervous wreck. I really do miss it though. 

Might get a 125 scooter for the daily commute, as we don't achieve speeds high enough to warrant anything bigger in London. 

50s are fun as hell too. We embarrassed so many bigger bikes and cars it's insane. We literally poured every penny we had into those things, and the result was 23bhp on something which weighed about as much as a paperclip. Add the CVT and you can see why they were such monsters. Also, the sound of a screaming two stroke, coupled with the unmistakeable smell of synthetic oil burning, and.... well:

watch?v=vaVGMfKjNWY

Then the cops got hold of it, stuck it on a dyno, and I got it back with the entire engine, exhaust, clutch and variomatic all taken out. Basically all the parts with "MHR" written on them, which stands for Malossi Hyper Racing. 

Nicasil lining, one piston ring, 70cc. 28mm Mikuni flatslide carburettor, Polini For Race exhaust, Top Performances crank shaft, and a TON of other bits and bobs. All gone. About £2k to replace, which is pretty much everything when you're young. 

Wives and Cops. :( I was wondering why my man was leaning so forward then he took off. Reminds me of a Hemi under glass :lol: