Palworld

I'm curious about this one.  I was never a fan of the Pokemon series, but I've watched some streamers play this, and Sarah has shown an interest in it.  Maybe I'll give it a go.  Maybe?  Hmm....

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I paid for game pass for the month to give it a try and it is really good fun, it might give the pokemon dev's a bit of a kick up the backside, that said I can see the blatant rip off's of the pokemon monsters which is really poor in my eyes. It can't be that difficult to come up with new one's surely?

Luseth.png

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

I paid for game pass for the month to give it a try and it is really good fun, it might give the pokemon dev's a bit of a kick up the backside, that said I can see the blatant rip off's of the pokemon monsters which is really poor in my eyes. It can't be that difficult to come up with new one's surely?

I think at this stage, Pokémon characters are heavily influenced in all monster hunter games.  This game is something though, I'm trying not to burn myself out early on, so only play in stages for a bit at a time when I'm not grinding Monster Hunter World.  If you're a Pokémon fan, this is definitely worth picking up, still enough content for Early Access.

GP version is slightly different to Steam too.  That is a couple of updates behind currently and there's no dedicated servers.  On Steam you can have servers that support up to 32 players, on GP it's 4 player invite only.  Also they pretty much brought GP version straight over from Xbox, as I couldn't even find an exit game button when I tried.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:21 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

The player count currently stands at 1,333,559 - bear in mind that this is a normal Monday morning in most of Europe and America is still very much still in bed. Absolutely insane figures really. Nobody had heard of this game last week! 

Huge figures, very impressive actually. 

Not my type of game, but I'm happy for it and wish it all the success. 

On 1/22/2024 at 12:21 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

The player count currently stands at 1,333,559 - bear in mind that this is a normal Monday morning in most of Europe and America is still very much still in bed. Absolutely insane figures really. Nobody had heard of this game last week! 

Today that figured reached 1.8 mil! Overtaking CSGO. 

Really hope the devs work on this title, hire a more professional team or whatever, and make this something to really last the long run.

Im surprised the player count has stayed this high though, I thought it'd have already peaked after a few days. 

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

Today that figured reached 1.8 mil! Overtaking CSGO. 

Really hope the devs work on this title, hire a more professional team or whatever, and make this something to really last the long run.

Im surprised the player count has stayed this high though, I thought it'd have already peaked after a few days. 

I think more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon as the game gets more exposed. Hard to tell when it'll finally peak as there's still a lot of people interested in it who may not have the funds to buy it right now or may jump in on the weekend. I'm more surprised at how many players jumped in on the first couple of days with the game seemingly going under the radar. The likes of Among Us and Lethal Company really took a while to get going but this is flying right off the bat! 

I think the word spreading that this game is effectively Pokemon but with guns has spread like wildfire and everyone wants to see what the fuss is about! 

It’s also launching at a reasonable price and of course game pass helps. 

I haven’t picked it up yet but I’m sure I will at some point. My love of Pokemon has definitely fallen in recent years, but with every release I always hope the magic will be back. Maybe Palworld is the answer! 

CORPORATE.POKEMON.CO.JP

ポケモンという存在を通して、現実世界と仮想世界の両方を豊かにすること。株式会社ポケモンのウエブサイトです。会社情報、事業紹介、プレスリリース、注目の話題や動画。

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies’ Games

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

Let's see which direction this goes.  Now they are officially looking at this, depending on how this goes, Palworld could temporarily disappear from sale while changes are implemented.

Palworld has now also peaked at over 2mil.

7 minutes ago, Spacedeck said:
CORPORATE.POKEMON.CO.JP

ポケモンという存在を通して、現実世界と仮想世界の両方を豊かにすること。株式会社ポケモンのウエブサイトです。会社情報、事業紹介、プレスリリース、注目の話題や動画。

Let's see which direction this goes.  Now they are officially looking at this, depending on how this goes, Palworld could temporarily disappear from sale while changes are implemented.

Ironically, if you look at the original pokemon and compare them to the monsters in early dragon quest games you will see that this is just the same arguement again. For that reason alone I kind of hope it costs them millions in court only to lose anyway. I grew up loving the pokemon series and do still enjoy it but as far as business practice goes they have not innovated until recent years, they have churned out the same game disguised under different artwork for years and years and made a fortune from it, they needed a kick up the arse ^_^

Luseth.png

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:
CORPORATE.POKEMON.CO.JP

I don't think they have a leg to stand on but they will certainly use IP violating mods as an excuse to target the game and many have been taken down already. In terms of the core concept, I'm not sure if Pokemon can protect itself that much.

Most of it is probably down to the usual Nintendo salt on top of the fact Pokemon has been hot garbage for many years now. A game upstaging it overnight and being immensely popular was never going to go down well with them.