Early Impressions (Early Access)

Riff Machine

Ok, early access dropped for this on June 1st, so many of us have been playing the shit out of it.  curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are.

Me?  It looks great.  I prefer this visual style to the more toon-ish look D3 had.  It plays awfully similar too, so that's a plus.  However, the constant enemy scaling to your current level always makes it feel like you're underpowered.  Simply walking from one destination to another often feels like a slog due to the constant encounters you run into.  I'm currently playing on tier 2, and there were a few times my A7F backup singing Necromancer nearly met his end to a group of shambling corpses or some bottom-end skeletons.  I've seen similar complaints across multiple sites so I'm glad I'm not alone.   Also, and maybe this has something to do with it, but after hitting Level 35, the difficulty seemed to spike.  I'm not sure if it was just me, but most of the time spent running around felt more like endgame stuff rather then the main quest/story.

I also think they buffed the enemies based on data from the previous betas as the game does seem a tad more difficult.  The class nerfs probably helped that as well.  My little skeletal army gets wasted pretty quickly now as opposed to the first closed beta.  

I'm almost positive there will be a "day 1" patch coming on Tuesday addressing some player issues and complaints.  Diablo 3 was pretty awful when it first dropped and didn't really hit its stride until Reaper of Souls. 

Let's hear it FG.  What are your thoughts?

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Had my first brief foray this afternoon, first impressions are positive. It has a decent pace to it, story has started off well and visually I think it looks great. 

could be entertaining with a few of us running round together! Do we have a clan set up?

Luseth.png

58 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Had my first brief foray this afternoon, first impressions are positive. It has a decent pace to it, story has started off well and visually I think it looks great. 

could be entertaining with a few of us running round together! Do we have a clan set up?

There is.  @Zaxzarset one up.  Forever Gaming

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

A bit late for early impressions but makes sense to still put my 2p as I think quite a few still haven't picked this up.

I've really enjoyed my first dibs into this game. I similarly enjoyed D3 and it really does play virtually like that. Graphics are quality. Story seems to be more engaging than the previous one too. I think the hardest part to get around is all the upgrades and all the skill trees as to what they mean as there is so many. What feels better on this one is the 'admin' you have to do seems a lot less as its easy to compare what drops you get to what you pick up. I like you can easily highlight junk and all I've been doing is junking most of it rather than selling it - this seems to give some transmog options but not got to that just yet.

I also like the idea that map is the same for everyone rather than procedural generated. The map is so big so going off to explore and find little side quests and dungeons seem more inviting than D3. Grouping has been pretty cool so far and being able to get 5 of us together is abit crazy fun. I still find this game abit less intense than FPS games like Destiny, so even though battles can look really cool, its also really hard to see whats actually going on...and I then look down to see me just spamming a certain number of buttons because it feels like the right thing to do.

I want to keep playing it for sure, but definitely alongside other games. I'm not too concerned on the time it takes to move through it, as I think i'd be more worried that I wouldn't go back to it much once I blitz through the official Act/Story missions. Worth the money though as I sit here right now.

Forum Signature Test.png