Final Fantasy XVI (16)

GazzaGarratt

State of Play was released nearly a few weeks ago below. Release date is June 22nd.

It looks like it will suite the new gen PS5 but also looks to have those RPG features that you'd probably want in AAA title and what some FF games in the past haven't had before. I still struggle to fully enjoy the Live RPG combat nature of things they've moved to but I can understand why they have, given so many people these days find ATB systems more of a strategy game than action based. However, the introduction of the 'timely' accessories will definitely make me more interested in playing the game. Definitely a great addition that allows simple button functions to do more complex roles that experienced folk are more used to.

How much could you control other players in previous FF games? I know you could in earlier games but this one is pretty clear that its only Clive (and his dog with direct commands) you control and your team is made up of AI driven characters.

Outside of that the story background mini-game that you go and find more lore is a nice little addition but doubt many will play it unless there is a trophy connected to it.

Whats everyone's thoughts?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

So being a big Final Fantasy game, the first thing that jumps out at me is that this looks more Devil May Cry (not surprising as I think the design lead actually started and had a successful career with devil may cry). It's fine if that is what you want.

It looks brilliant visually and has some of the aspects you would expect, summons etc.

Controlling other players, you have only ever been able to control one person but you could historically give commands to others in your team even as late as FFXV I think from memory. So to remove that seems odd but then it looks more fast paced than previous games so you likely won't have the time to spend giving out orders.

I think this is going to divide fans, those who like the old school combat systems (this includes myself) and those who aren't bothered by it. I think with this series they have spent a lot of time trying to appeal the modern games to more Western mainstream audiences and the series has lost some of it's character for it. If you compare this, XV and XIII to XII and previous there has been a big shift in the style of the games and it seems too big a shift for fans of earlier titles.

I will play this (and likely buy it second hand as sales direct to Sony will only encourage their current style of FF games), but it need's to have a great story I think for me to enjoy it, the combat won't carry it for me. It's mad because if you look at their highest ranked games of the past 10 years, the recent Final Fantasy games don't even make a dent and yet they continue to push this direction. Games like Triangle Strategy, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath traveller and Bravely default go down extremely well with the fans.

Luseth.png

So the demo of this was put up yesterday and I am seeing promising stuff from people's comments on it. I gave it a brief go yesterday and visually it looks great, it has the grandeur you would expect from Final Fantasy games but it also feels a bit more next gen than most games we have had up until now which is promising.

I will give it a longer try this evening but it appears more mature in it's story and what is going on and initial suggestions is that the story telling is incredibly improved over the last couple of games which is good. Combat I have only briefly tried, it feels much more like an action RPG rather than a traditional Japanese RPG but that seems to be the direction they want the series to go.

Luseth.png

So I completed the demo last night and I have pre-ordered the game, it may not have the combat style but the story was dark and gripping and had me wanting to know more.

The game had brutal moments, the visuals are fantastic and the audio is spot on, it finally feels like we have a next gen game which I am not sure could have been said up until now (especially with say Forspoken being such a let down).

I am quite excited for it now and think most of the games I am midway through will be shelved rather quickly when it turns up

Luseth.png

I also finished the demo this morning and pre-ordered.  I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I really enjoyed the free movement combat.  The DMC similarities are apparent, but it also reminded me of the FF7 remake combat a tad too.  

Im looking forward to diving into this one Thursday.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

So I have refrained from posting up until this point, I am now about 18 hours in and generally I am quite enjoying the game -

Story - It is seemingly up there as one of the best FF stories I think, there are questions to be answered to keep you going, the story moves at a nice pace and there are a couple of time jumps so you see the impact of some of the events that have occurred in the story. The story is more mature, there is enough blood and gore to keep you going!

Visually it looks fantastic, it really does look next gen, there have been reports of PS5's struggling with some of it but I can't say I have had an issue. My only thought is that those who have had issues, have they been clearing out the fans and such regularly. I will save a few images throughout the course of the game and post them up on completion. It has a nice variety, different areas from desert to jungles, dark gritty dungeons and open green and bright landscapes.

Sound - I am not really going to say anything on this one other than it is typical Final Fantasy, this is one aspect of the games they have never really gotten wrong I don't think and it's much the same here.

Combat - This is the bit that concerned me on buying it, it's not to my taste i.e. turn based and I still do not understand the direction. Ironically it was intended to appeal more to Western audiences but it sounds like it has gone down quite well in Japan while more Western audiences have been more vocal in their complaints. My view is that Final Fantasy built itself on turn based combat, moving away to this devil may cry style is like Call of Duty going from a shooter to a turn based RPG, it's a whole gameplay style change and not necassarily one fans were calling for.

That said I am enjoying it, I would say I am probably about 50% of the way through the game and I will get my money's worth which is always important!

Luseth.png

Yup, I agree with everything @Luseth said.  I'm also really enjoying the game.  The story has some really dark, Game of Thrones-ish story that's clearly aimed at a mature audience.  The big, epic boss battles are really cool to roll through.  My only gripe is just how linear the whole thing is.  I never really feel like I can go out and explore the world outside of a story or side mission.  

You'll be disappointed if you're expecting a typical Final Fantasy experience.

I completed the game ^_^ I did contemplate going for the platinum trophy but honestly the last section of the game I raced through as I was getting a bit worn down by it, it is a large game especially if you are doing everything!

The side quests are stories in their own I think but they felt that broken up as they were split between chapters if you like that they all got a bit lost, i.e. by the time I got to Lostwings ending I had forgotten what was going on there.

The battles looked fantastic throughout and the story is much better than the last few games, you can certainly see the Game of thrones influence. It does currently stand as my game of the year but I feel like there has not been much to fight for the spot anyway as yet this year. Maybe when Baldurs Gate is released it could all change.

Luseth.png

I've been slow-rolling the hell out of this one, mostly due to other games coming out and/or life stuff.  I'm just before the final encounter, and I'm polishing up on some side quests before I finish the story.