Football (Played with Feet)
Posted

Coventry fully deserved by the end. Mental as it was looking like one of the worst semi finals up until 70 minutes. Cov hadn't even had a shot. Then all carnage broke loose - the VAR we've talked online for a while now about it and I think for me its more now that VAR highlights are cruel the Offside rule is. Gaining an advantage my arse on that goal - and the line the morning after showed that pixels went over Wan Bissaka's foot. It just doesn't feel right.

Separately, Forest just made a bad situation for them even worse with that tweet.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Posted
On 3/27/2024 at 9:23 AM, phil bottle said:

As for England, all the Kane haters have learned a few things about England without him in the team. And not sure I like the over reliance on the brilliance of Bellingham. 

However, the Euros are there for the taking...

He really is World Class. He now has that aura around him that other countries are afraid of which always gets him more goals too. I feel we've always needed a Bellingham, someone to really standout as best player in the world. Owen was the only one when he burst onto the scene that felt similar. Lets hope he stays fit as he'll need a truckload of players to stop him.

I still winning tournaments is much harder than people realise. Stuff needs to go your way, and the consistency is hard to get against other top quality players over 7, 90 minute games. I so badly want us to get over the line as I really do think the philosophy the international team has followed has been the right one for years - its just that mental hurdle to get past now. 🤞

Posted
13 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

FA Cup Quarter Finals were pretty insane this weekend - Wolves 2-3 Coventry, Man City 2-0 Newcastle (yawn) Jammy Chelsea 4-2 Leicester and Man Utd 4-3 Liverpool. Really enjoyed watching all those games minus the City one which I comfortably ignored. 

The whole weekend of football was a delight to watch, maybe with the exception of the Man City game. Incredible cup ties, and what the FA Cup is supposed to be all about. For any neutral watching football for the first time, that was pinnacle football drama at its best. Fair play to all the ones that got through too. Every winner felt like they did enough in my eyes to win their cup ties.

Posted

The circus has come to Blackburn and unfortunately I can't see good times for a while. 3rd time in a row we've cocked up paperwork and the final minute for a big transfer, results have been awful for months, club captain loaned away to Ipswich, and now JDT likely not to be in charge before Saturday's game.

For a postive person in life that I am, its really bloody hard to see many positives right now. No idea what the owners want out of our club. They still pay the bills, but sometimes in life we know you can't just get by with the minimum as more may be needed now more than ever in terms of building relationships.

I really hope the players dig one out on Saturday. Even a scruffy 1-0 win would be a lovely present to try and dig ourselves out of this mess.

Posted

I think footballers aren't made of what they used to be. Owen did an interview with Simon Jordan, got ridiculed for his Apple in the bin part, which was quite funny watching it back. However, he said something that in his way didn't sound quite right but the underlying sentiment isn't probably far off. He said you don't need to be good anymore to be a premiership player, you just need to be able to be an athlete. I do think you need the skills and ability but I do think there's some truth in that footballers are designed from an early age to be as fit as you possibly can be and the fitness and conditioning work they do is not built from making them durable.

These days, they have the thinnest socks and boots you'd find and they wonder how many people break toes, etc. But they want them to 'feel' the football like its an extension of your foot. Its the way the game has evolved that makes it this way now. Not sure it'll turn the other way as its more entertainment than pure football these days.

Money will play its part too. If you earn an absolutely ridiculous amount, which they all do at that level, the back of their head will sometimes say don't push it, gotta be 100% fit otherwise kiss goodbye to a career of that money that won't last forever.

Injuries have killed us yet again. Its unbelievable that somehow we've been inconsistently crap but only 2 points off teh playoffs still. Quality is not there this year in the Championship.

Posted

Part of me feels like we're either ignoring City's issues altogether or its waiting for the pivotal moment to effectively relegate them to League 2, abit like in Italy they did the same with Juventus. Makes me think City's lawyers are threatening the EPL with everything they possibly can.

Still, even with Everton's 10 points deducted, they're not bottom 👀🤣

Posted
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

FA CUP HIGHLIGHTS 🔴 Watch all the action from yesterdays historic victory 🏆 Read the full match report: https://buff.ly/3QsQ56p

Thought I'd share a little snippet of my own personal local club team. Coundon Court Ladies made history on Sunday, winning 2-0 in the last Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. First time ever making the 1st Round proper which is incredible. For a team that hasn't got the name or badge that people flock to in Coventry, we still are the highest ranked team in the City and this win was such good fun to be a part of. First goal was pure class...especially being in the crowd just where Jess slides off to celebrate! Same colours as FG too, clearly written in the stars ❤️🖤

Posted

The bit that most people miss with International football is that the best success has come from building squads over time so a process and team identity gets created. I actually think by picking these players he's trying to give himself a better chance at winning the next tourney. When you bring in 6-10 brand new players, thats effectively an overhaul. Put yourself in his shoes and think how hard would it be to get that playing shape and mentality in teh whole squad from their first training camp. he only gets 1-2 games max for a few weeks together and off they go.

Football is always made up to be a simple game on the face of it. So many forgot the tiniest details give you the best chance of getting further in tournaments and being successful.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lurchzy said:

I don't want to it to be just fine, I want to win. We need a winning mentally within the squad. Get them out. Even if they do do well for England, they don't deserve to be there. It's not fair on the world class players that are missing out.

We'll be fine was my usual positive jokey way of saying they'll do well for us still. Henderson doesn't have a starting position now anyway but great utility to come on and do the job we need in certain games. Harry I think is pretty much on his last life with Gareth. Easy for me to say that but if he makes one mistake in an England jersey when not playing for his club even Gareth knows it will be hard to pick him. Having said that, one of his best players and not the reason why we lost the Euros. Penalty lottery was just hard to take.

Posted
1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

And @GazzaGarratt 8 goals last night eh? 🤗

JDT wanted 10 in the post match interview lol. Great academy, hope it can finally bounce us back up soon.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Henderson and Maguire both selected by Gareth for more England duty. Time to sack Gareth 😅

We'll be fine 😉 #Believe

Posted
On 8/21/2023 at 7:40 PM, phil bottle said:

Good result for us Spuds at the weekend, but more importantly I'm very happy with the attacking style of play. We git out Tottenham back 🙂

Watched the WC final, shame about the result but the best team won, and I was in good company so enjoyed it either way. Hope these competitions help to continue encourage young uns to get into sports 🙂

Spurs looked great. I agree with @Lurchzy though that you need a striker still. Long season to go.

Rovers need a striker too. Feels like most teams do and thats strange as they seem to be a rare commodity through the PL and Championship.

Gutted for England Women but as you say, the right better team won on the day. We couldn't really create anything which was a shame. I was actually surprised with the squad depleted so much from injuries that we got so far. Shows how much depth their is in English Women football already.

Posted
1 hour ago, Lurchzy said:

I think it's the opposite, I think it was Kane that wanted the move. Levy didn't want him to leave, offering multiple improved contacts.

Personally I think winning a trophy in a one horse league is a far less achievement than beating the goal scoring record with Spurs, and I don't think he should've defined himself by his lack of trophies.

I had a think last night and maybe the other angle I and we all can forget is the fact he is just another human being that has a life like all of us. More I think about it, he's 30 and may want to look back giving his family time in another culture, learn new things rather be anything about goals or trophies for that matter.

I watched abit of the Bayern game last night and I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that side is winning things this year.

Posted

I mean lets face it, Spurs are clearly seeing this as we have to cash in now if they get the money. Part of me feels like its more club than player that wants to go. Kane still can go for a few years and come back to the Premier League and get the record. I thought he wanted the goals record more than anything else but he hasn't even done what Shearer did and at least won the league with Blackburn. At least if he wins a trophy or two over in Germany, that will satisfy his desires from that side you'd expect.

I feel for you though @phil bottle, it really does feel so late to get another striker in...unless you've tapped up some amazing young striker to take his place already??

FG NFL 2023 Fantasy League
Posted
5 hours ago, jordie1892 said:

I moved to Australia a couple months ago! 

**Check Notes** Reason 324 for why a PPR is the best thing on the planet to update 😘

2 hours ago, Antpool84 said:

No probs at all. Ok, so i think we will deffo do a friday or saturday then. @GazzaGarratt can i have bit of help getting a poll on here for potential dates please dude 😁😁

Yeah sure thing, its just a new topic but where it says 'Topic' you can click it to switch to Poll. Let me know what dates and times you want and I can help get it up for you.

Posted
17 hours ago, phil bottle said:

@GazzaGarratt is this Ashley Phillips decent? Looks like the mighty Spurs are nabbing him. 

Future England defender. I actually think the agent has screwed us over here, he signed a 2 year deal last year so we could keep him but he added a £3m release clause which is peanuts for England's next promising defender. He's played in England teams 2-3 years higher than his age, recently captaining U18s. Came in last year to get his full debut and played fantastically in a number of games. He's raw but the potential is ridiculous with him. My inside person was telling me last season that his mum wanted him to go last season to Spurs but he knew he would get more out of playing with us...thats not lasted long but thats football and we desperately need funds to buy a proven striker.

Just hope Spurs don't waste his talent in the U23s and we never see him again. Deserves to be playing a bunch of games this season.

Dele Alli Interview
Posted

A superb interview from Neville to Alli. It speaks volumes on just how any one of us can having something going on in the background so trying not to judge and perceive everything on face value is pretty critical I think these days. No one should have to have that mental torture over the years. I love redemption arcs, and I really hope this lad can get one. Only shame is seeing how he felt like he wanted to do this but maybe in a few weeks/months but couldn't due to the pressure of journalists hounding the situation so they can put something in the tabloids. No one is perfect, so if your heart is in the right place, I think everyone deserves some support to get where they want to get to.

Posted
1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I believe he's seeing his contract..maybe 2 years? After that, who knows? I don't think running a national side would be enough for him with the lack of training time

Yeah he won't go away straight away is my thoughts too. I think he'd like to go back to Barca in the next 5 years.

Nationally, he'd also be more likely to take Spain than us...not sure we will go down foreign routes for a while now. But right now I think he may not ever touch National sides due to the fact its far less work. Plus Gareth Southgate shows the type of characteristics of management, especially successful club ones, may not suit international football that has smaller calendars.

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy